Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

Hello everyone,

This is my first time applying to universities in the US and I'm a bit worried. My recommendation letters were sent late  to Michigan State University,i.e, 4 days after the deadline and my transcript was  also sent late so do you think my whole application will be disregarded? :(  I checked my doc.status and they have not added anything except the GRE! However, may be they're late in updating because of the snowstorm as the staff took a couple of days off.  Should I lose hope? What are your experiences in applying to MSU??

Hi! I applied to MSU, PhD SLS program. I don't think you should worry much about the deadlines. I have a feeling that if you submitted your online application by the deadline, everything should be fine. I was also worried about this, because I submitted my TOEFL, GRE scores and transcripts long before I submitted my online aoolication. It took them some time to match those with my app. So now it's under review.

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been seeing some posts just here and there when I was applying but never got the time to fully join this community... now I am reloading the results page every 15 minutes!

Has anyone heard something back from schools that were due on January 1st/2nd? I think it's still a little too soon, but someone posted that was invited to a skype interview at NYU and I started to feel desperate!

Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard something back from schools that were due on January 1st/2nd? I think it's still a little too soon, but someone posted that was invited to a skype interview at NYU and I started to feel desperate!

Good luck! I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the only places where I had a pre-admissions interview were the ones that were not as good a fit, and the main question we covered in various ways was "why did you apply here?" -- and honestly they were the places that after the interviews I realized were really not places I wanted to be. I ended up withdrawing my application from two such schools. I know that others got admitted without an interview to those universities. So -- not having an interview doesn't have to mean that you don't have a chance! 

Good luck! I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the only places where I had a pre-admissions interview were the ones that were not as good a fit, and the main question we covered in various ways was "why did you apply here?" -- and honestly they were the places that after the interviews I realized were really not places I wanted to be. I ended up withdrawing my application from two such schools. I know that others got admitted without an interview to those universities. So -- not having an interview doesn't have to mean that you don't have a chance! 

Thanks a lot for your feedback, fuzzylogician! There are days when I woke up and I think I will be admitted everywhere, and days when I think: "Me? A PhD in the States? In a top program? What was I thinking?". Anxiety works in mysterious ways!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, fuzzylogician! There are days when I woke up and I think I will be admitted everywhere, and days when I think: "Me? A PhD in the States? In a top program? What was I thinking?". Anxiety works in mysterious ways!

I am on the job market this year. I understand. 

Does anyone here find the 'results search' page useful? I just tried to see how OSU works with its date ranges and the range is freakishly nerve-wracking because it is so close. Ignorance feels a lot better.

I am still new to the site and just came across this sub-forum so here is my situation. I have applied to the eight schools in my signature, to programs in linguistics, psychology, and education. My research interest is in the neuroanatomy of language development and use, particularly with regards to plurilinguals. My MA from Columbia was in TESOL but the project was a literature review on the neuroanatomy of critical periods in second language acquisition. I am currently in the process of revamping it for publication, whether or not I am admitted to any of my schools.

At the moment, I have yet to hear anything from any of my schools. Hoping to hear something soon.

Does anyone here find the 'results search' page useful? I just tried to see how OSU works with its date ranges and the range is freakishly nerve-wracking because it is so close. Ignorance feels a lot better.

I agree, but I can't help it either. 

I feel like this is all I think/talk about and it's driving me mad. I need to get a life.

I know that transcripts are some of the last things to get matched up, but I submitted all of my materials early for UMD and my transcripts are still marked as missing, three weeks after the deadline. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'm trying really hard to stay calm and not freak out about this. I emailed the DGS as they suggest on the website. All I can do is hope they made it somehow and the website is just really out of date. *Breathing* 

Don't be too worried about transcripts if you have uploaded a scanned copy. I (wrongly) assumed that all universities asked for a hard copy if they offered admission, only to realize that UMass and Johns Hopkins needed it even "for reviewing an application". Where I live, it is really difficult to obtain a copy of your transcript (plus, we're on summer holidays and my university is closed until February). I e-mailed both Hopkins and UMass with this issue... Hopkins will let me send it when my university reopens, but they will be forward my application to the adcom while my transcript gets there. UMass' answer was even better; they said that they already had my application under review, and that official transcripts were only a request of the Graduate Amissions Office, but that the departmente did not care so much...

I hope my experience gives you some relief!