Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I caved, I guess you're right olioliwoo. Good luck everyone. Especially the person(s) applying to Armenia, I'm living here now as a Peace Corps Volunteer and it's a pretty cool country. Applying for an ETA to Taiwan. Hoping to find out soon, and if it's good news, wait and worry another four months  :wacko:

I caved, I guess you're right olioliwoo. Good luck everyone. Especially the person(s) applying to Armenia, I'm living here now as a Peace Corps Volunteer and it's a pretty cool country. Applying for an ETA to Taiwan. Hoping to find out soon, and if it's good news, wait and worry another four months  :wacko:

How has your Peace Corps experience been! I applied to do a Masters International at UNLV if this doesn't pan out.

Hi guys, I applied for research scholarship in Finland and received short questions to answer from the fulbright commission in Finland (said they can't process application without) . I thought the first round is with the U.S. before it reaches the country you applied for. It said it arrived to Fulbright Center in Helsinki. Got the form yesterday, 1/20..said it was due by 1/22. 

Edited by fiajoc

@ fiajoc, wow! That's fantastic, congratulations! :) At least that's a sign that all decisions regarding finalist status have been made and forwarded to the respective countries. It's kind of ridiculous that Finland has contacted you before Fulbright has contacted applicants...and that they've only given you two days to complete the form. Whyyyyy Fulbright, whyyyyy keep us waiting?!?

Hi guys, I applied for research scholarship in Finland and received short questions to answer from the fulbright commission in Finland (said they can't process application without) . I thought the first round is with the U.S. before it reaches the country you applied for. It said it arrived to Fulbright Center in Helsinki. Got the form yesterday, 1/20..said it was due by 1/22. 

I heard of something similar from someone that received the Fulbright last year. It's so confusing and esoteric. 

I heard of something similar from someone that received the Fulbright last year. It's so confusing and esoteric. 

Yea read that somewhere as well. And yes, very confusing for sure. 

@ fiajoc, wow! That's fantastic, congratulations! :) At least that's a sign that all decisions regarding finalist status have been made and forwarded to the respective countries. It's kind of ridiculous that Finland has contacted you before Fulbright has contacted applicants...and that they've only given you two days to complete the form. Whyyyyy Fulbright, whyyyyy keep us waiting?!?

@FingersCrossed_118, I hope that is the case! But it does seem likely that the finalist status has been forwarded. The form was quite simple, just wanted to know if my plans havent changed and what grant im applying for (finland had 4 options..research and courses, just courses, just research, or masters program) and what universities I would work with. 

Edited by fiajoc

Ugh this is really frustrating!! I just got offered a job last week that would mean lots of ~*money*~ in a field sort of unrelated to my current topic of study, but obviously the Fulbright is more important to me-- then whyyyy have they not notified us yet so I can make an educated decision?? UGH!!!

Off-topic, but I have to say, I love your avatar. :-D

How has your Peace Corps experience been! I applied to do a Masters International at UNLV if this doesn't pan out.

My experience has been quite fulfilling! I'd say its definitely not for everyone and it can be difficult at times, but what in life isn't? I've met plenty of Fulbrighters during my service and one encouraged me to ultimately apply..... so now I'm here. Even if you do get approved to do Fulbright, I'd still encourage you to consider the Master's International program if you're looking to get your Master's afterward as I've heard great things about it and quite a few volunteers in my group are in the program. :)

Okay, the last thing I want to do is set off another anxiety attack among users on this thread (see: Twitter debacle. What does "shortly" MEAN anyhow!??!?! :angry:), but I wonder if this means we will hear today or tomorrow? How can a country have their form due before the rest of the US Fulbright applicants hear back, right?

Unless they're just entirely unrelated, disconnected, don't communicate, and therefore don't care... which is possible...

Hi guys, I applied for research scholarship in Finland and received short questions to answer from the fulbright commission in Finland (said they can't process application without) . I thought the first round is with the U.S. before it reaches the country you applied for. It said it arrived to Fulbright Center in Helsinki. Got the form yesterday, 1/20..said it was due by 1/22.

Congrats! Looks like any day now!

For the sake of being able to 100% focus on something again, I hope we hear back no later than Friday.

I was also curious to see if they have ever notified on a day other than Thursday and Friday and dug up this information from old forum pages:

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

It looks like unless they decide a 5 year streak, we could hear news on the 23rd, 24th, 30th, or 31st.

Does anyone have a really good relationship with/very loose lipped FPA...? 

I also emailed my FPA, but to see if other country representatives might inform us sooner: Is it possible that if we are recommended we could be hearing from the host country before the US Fulbright representatives? I was talking to someone who applied for a Fulbright student research grant to Finland and they mentioned getting a survey on the 20th with a completion deadline of the 22nd from the Fulbright Center in Helsinki, but no news from IIE.

Her reply was: I have only heard of the communication coming from Fulbright/IIE and not the countries themselves. They might be referring to when they received final notification of their status, not this initial recommended or non-recommended status which will come before the end of this month.

Looks like she is just as in the dark about this as we are : /

By the way, I probably won't forget your comment from last year for at least 40 years (I believe it was around this time last year but can't remember if it was later in the process):

'JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL'

I pretty much died lol

Oh GOD, I forgot about that!! BAHAHA. And here we are again, year two, doing it all over again...

I just creepily stopped into my FPA's office to "say hi" and casually asked about Fulbright (after emailing her last week). She said (again) that she hasn't heard anything and that we will have an answer by the end of the month. I think I need to give her some space before she calls Fulbright and asks them to lose my application.

A girl in my program applied for the Fulbright. She apparently got an email a few days ago notifying her that a decision would be made before the end of the month.

Maybe this is the case at all universities? It’s looking likely. 

Outstanding academic resume along with your teaching..Good luck!!!!!!