Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I just creepily stopped into my FPA's office to "say hi" and casually asked about Fulbright (after emailing her last week). She said (again) that she hasn't heard anything and that we will have an answer by the end of the month. I think I need to give her some space before she calls Fulbright and asks them to lose my application.

Does anyone know if FPA's find out the same day we do, or typically a few days in advance? If none of them have heard anything yet and they're generally in the know a few days beforehand, they probably would have heard something by now if we all hear back this Thursday or Friday. But maybe they find out the same day we all do? 

Edited by cewarren6

Funny tweets while lurking on Twitter for any news:

"Hoping the phone buzz indicates an email from Fulbright. It's just your mother sending over a puppy pin. #womp"

"Fully convinced that most #Fulbright applicants aren't #Twitter users. Cause how is it possible that no one is talking about it, this close to the application shortlist." (obviously has not discovered our anxious community of 30+ individuals)

"Saturday cannot come soon enough #malta #fulbright #hopeful"

"*sigh* HHI. Ohio fam w/2 kids moving to Rwanda. As you do. Fulbright Scholarship 2teach sports med. Wife put out bc pots/pans not included."

Well, I guess it takes a school shooting at my grad school alma mater to take my mind off the Fulbright. I went to Purdue. Not to be Debbie Downer here, but it gives you perspective for sure. Wishing you all well

Funny tweets while lurking on Twitter for any news:

"Hoping the phone buzz indicates an email from Fulbright. It's just your mother sending over a puppy pin. #womp"

"Fully convinced that most #Fulbright applicants aren't #Twitter users. Cause how is it possible that no one is talking about it, this close to the application shortlist." (obviously has not discovered our anxious community of 30+ individuals)

"Saturday cannot come soon enough #malta #fulbright #hopeful"

"*sigh* HHI. Ohio fam w/2 kids moving to Rwanda. As you do. Fulbright Scholarship 2teach sports med. Wife put out bc pots/pans not included."

This tweet, I think this family was on house hunters international.. seems the same from Ohio sports medicine and in Rwanda..

Does anyone know if FPA's find out the same day we do, or typically a few days in advance? If none of them have heard anything yet and they're generally in the know a few days beforehand, they probably would have heard something by now if we all hear back this Thursday or Friday. But maybe they find out the same day we all do? 

From talking with my FPA, she has found out at the same time as the students. However, I think some FPAs might have the inside scoop because of connections with people at IIE. I know Smith College posted around 2 PM the day of the announcement the number of students who got recommended.

This tweet, I think this family was on house hunters international.. seems the same from Ohio sports medicine and in Rwanda..

Yes!! I just saw this episode last night. I'm absolutely ob.sessed. with HHI. Honestly, that show has played no small part in re-orienting my brain toward going abroad. :)

Well, I guess it takes a school shooting at my grad school alma mater to take my mind off the Fulbright. I went to Purdue. Not to be Debbie Downer here, but it gives you perspective for sure. Wishing you all well

I can't believe it was the second university shooting in two days. There was also one at Widener University: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/20/widener-university-shooting_n_4634584.html

To those waiting, I applied under the Research award, which was different than most in here. Had my short listed interview today. Tried to prepare for it the best I could, but those I've talked too said it was different. We'll see....

Edited by Bluefit

15 members and 37 guests currently on here.

52 people?! Is this a new record guys?

Nah, I think we were close to breaking 100 last Friday... at least got up in the 90s for sure. Might break a record this coming Friday, though! 

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I'm a former Hoosier (alumni now).  That's really scary.  I will keep your alma mater in my thoughts.

My final semester starts tomorrow and I have a paper due the first day of class, so I've been able to put Fulbright thoughts on the back burner for >10 mins at a time.  :wacko:

Edited by Oliebollen

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I'm a former Hoosier (alumni now).  That's really scary.  I will keep your alma mater in my thoughts.

I appreciate it. I didn't love Purdue, but I still have friends there and it hits home, regardless. Thank you very much. 

Hello would-be Fulbrighters! Current Germany ETA checking in. Sorry you guys didn't find out last Friday; that's quite the bummer :/ Fingers crossed for this Friday!

Seen some discussion on whether FPAs should known in advance... Based on last year, they will, but it may only be as much as a few hours before you do. Last year based on phone calls to IIE/hints from FPAs we knew with a pretty high certainty what day they were releasing results, at which point I badgered my FPA to see if he'd put me out of my misery (I was having a remarkably unproductive workday sitting around refreshing my e-mail). He was able to tell me that I was in, and maybe three or four hours later I got the actual e-mail.

So, in short, yes, FPAs should know before you... but maybe not several days. Probably more like a few hours?

Fingers crossed for you all!

Hello would-be Fulbrighters! Current Germany ETA checking in. Sorry you guys didn't find out last Friday; that's quite the bummer :/ Fingers crossed for this Friday!

Seen some discussion on whether FPAs should known in advance... Based on last year, they will, but it may only be as much as a few hours before you do. Last year based on phone calls to IIE/hints from FPAs we knew with a pretty high certainty what day they were releasing results, at which point I badgered my FPA to see if he'd put me out of my misery (I was having a remarkably unproductive workday sitting around refreshing my e-mail). He was able to tell me that I was in, and maybe three or four hours later I got the actual e-mail.

So, in short, yes, FPAs should know before you... but maybe not several days. Probably more like a few hours?

This is very useful, Torrid! Thank you! 

Hopeful Germany ETA here...How is it??

Hopeful Germany ETA here...How is it??

I'm having a great time so far! Teaching is not enough of my calling that I'd want to do it a second year, but the chance to do this for a year, make connections in Germany and improve my language skills is just incredible. Good luck making it through to the next round!!!

Hi everyone, another former lurker deciding to come out of the dark. Applying for a full research grant to Morocco. A few pages back, some folks had made reference to the number of slots available in certain countries for the 2014-2015 grant cycle. Where can this updated information be found? On Fulbright's website, the statistics (at least for Morocco) appear to still be from the previous years.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Hi everyone, another former lurker deciding to come out of the dark. Applying for a full research grant to Morocco. A few pages back, some folks had made reference to the number of slots available in certain countries for the 2014-2015 grant cycle. Where can this updated information be found? On Fulbright's website, the statistics (at least for Morocco) appear to still be from the previous years.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

It says it under the country profiles - those are updated, but the statistics pages aren't yet.

I was talking with a fellow prospective Fulbright scholar, and we are dying to receive the grant! This is my third year applying, and I feel like I've done everything right this time around.

• I had former/current fellows look over my application and essay.
  • My recommenders were chosen strategically.
  • I emphasized on why I want to teach English in Thailand, and I made it specific enough so that it's not just a generic choice.
  • I wrote about a cultural exchange beyond the classroom through teaching Western piano theory and learning a Thai instrument.

It's so nerve wracking to wait for this email.

Just saw on CNN that there is a federal government shutdown in DC and elsewhere on the East Coast due to weather. Really hoping this doesn't impact notifications. :unsure: I don't even know where the people making these decisions are though; I just assume DC.

I think the main IIE offices are in NYC.