Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I think it's closer to 50% now!

Exactly! They recommend about 1.5-2x the number of grants actually available, so everyone still in it has a reasonably good shot now! Fingers crossed for you all!!

For all those that didn't make it, I'm so sorry :( Especially Kelsey, since I remember you from last year as well.

Those of you who were not recommended and who are about to graduate with their BA -- I would encourage you whole-heartedly to apply again. I originally wanted to apply my senior year of college (2012) but contacted my FPA too late in the game to be able to start an application for that cycle. At first I was extremely disappointed, thinking that I would have a much worse chance applying after I graduated (since I was not going to grad school), but in reality, I think that was the best possible result for me. I grew so much during my senior year and had so many new experiences that I incorporated into my application, that I am certain even if I had been apply to apply that year, there's no way I would have made it past the first round. Waiting a year was an excellent decision for me.

It's also worth noting that you CAN still apply through your university if you've already graduated. I don't know if there is a set standard for this, but at least one year out you still should be able to, but possibly even longer. Stay in touch with your school's FPA if you want to reapply!

For those further along in their academic careers, I realize it's a more bitter (bitterer?) pill to swallow. But if you were applying for a research grant, that means you had a host country affiliation -- SOMEONE in that country thinks your research is interesting and worthwhile. Keep developing it, and you never know what kind of paths this will take you down in the future. Fulbright is a gamble, and not being selected doesn't at all mean your research wasn't good enough -- you have no idea what the committee was looking for, nor do you have any idea what kind of competition you were up against.

Cheers to all of you, regardless of your status, and keep plowing forward!

Recommended for ETA in Vietnam! So excited and and am happy to have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks. Has anyone else on here applied to Vietnam? How about from last year, and also might remember about the time that they let you know the final answer?

RECOMMENDED To GREECE!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god so so happy-I JUST looked now (long day) I started jumping up and down didn't expect it!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! Are you an ETA-HAEF applicant too? By looking at google docs of past cycles, it looks like applicants to Greece are going to be notified by the end of March. We're one step closer to the Parthenon!

I think I accidentally deleted someone's google doc entry who's applying to Greece--SO SORRY about that!! Whoever you are (I think the name on there was Linda?), I hope you re-enter your info.

Can someone give instructions on how to add to google docs? Thanks for your patience.

Hey everyone! 

I've been a forum watcher for a while, but finally made an account. Was just recommended for Bosnia & Herzegovina! Anyone other BiH applicants hear back? Congrats to everyone who got a recommendation, and ultimate sad faces for those who didn't. This is my second time applying, so cross your fingers!

Also: 

Recommended for ETA in Vietnam! So excited and and am happy to have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks. Has anyone else on here applied to Vietnam? How about from last year, and also might remember about the time that they let you know the final answer?

My friend did an ETA in Vietnam in 2012, and found out around April 30th. 

I'll be based in Berlin, but affiliated with Leipzig. My research will end up taking me to most major German cities. I'm Ben, by the way. I was on the program committee at Stony Brook and we spoke briefly after your presentation. Good luck and stay in touch.

Hi Ben - yes I remember you and good luck. Hopefully we will both end up in Europe together (we have friends living in Leipzig and Berlin so if I'm accepted we'll probably be visiting both of those cities at some point as research breaks). 

Alrighty--first time posting in a while. Applied to Spain for ETA last year and wasn't recommended. Revamped my application and applied to Venezuela this year, and I was recommended!

Any other Venezuela applicants here?

I'm not eta... Trying to go to Germany to do opera research.

Hm. We should talk. I was just recommended; also to go to Germany to do opera research. I'm looking at avant-garde opera reception (Lachenmann's and Czernowin's operas in particular) from 1997 to the present. You?

Alrighty--first time posting in a while. Applied to Spain for ETA last year and wasn't recommended. Revamped my application and applied to Venezuela this year, and I was recommended!

Any other Venezuela applicants here?

Congratulations!  And very impressive, not just that you re-applied but that you chose a country that doesn't award a huge number of grantees - I've seen some years they don't award any!  It's such a dynamic, fascinating country though, especially from a diplomatic perspective.  I traveled to Maturin in the eastern state of Monagas this past summer to see a good friend get married, and was only there for 5 days but came back with so many stories.  

I applied and was recommended for an ETA to Colombia, which I'm still reeling from myself, but I'll be rooting for you and everyone else in this next round.

I plan to also meet with my FPA, she was very supportive during the whole process and we probably need to get together to tweak some of the words I used, especially after the changes in the security restrictions in my host country. I plan to continue doing my research locally, and apply to local travelling grants.

As for the next year, I plan to finish my pilot studying for my thesis/dissertation projects, and reapply to Fulbright. I am taking a pity vacation to Cancun with my brother in late May and next May I will be marrying my SO in Spain. So it won't be such a shabby wait for the next application round. 

My FPA was not useful at all in the process, so this year I didn't ask her for advice/help. 

I've been bad at posting on the forum, but I'm glad to have this support system. Despite being recommended or not, we have put in a lot of effort to apply and that will show in future projects.

I was recommended for a research grant to Panama. If the Fulbright Gods award me a grant, I'll be sure to email  my essays to anyone who wants to see them. If I don't get awarded, I plan to apply next year! I want a grant to my name!

:) Let's try to not go crazy in the final round.

Omgggg this is such a weird happiness... Like I'm so happy but also am afraid to be too happy in case I don't get it...

My feelings exactly! I also feel sad for all my forum buddies who didn't make it through this round :(

Edited by olioliwoo

My FPA was not useful at all in the process, so this year I didn't ask her for advice/help. 

That's really unfortunate, but I am glad you were able to find your way through on your own and into the second round! I hope you mentioned in the survey that she wasn't helpful in the process since I strongly believe those people should gooo. 

CONGRATULATIONS!! Are you an ETA-HAEF applicant too? By looking at google docs of past cycles, it looks like applicants to Greece are going to be notified by the end of March. We're one step closer to the Parthenon!

I think I accidentally deleted someone's google doc entry who's applying to Greece--SO SORRY about that!! Whoever you are (I think the name on there was Linda?), I hope you re-enter your info.

Can someone give instructions on how to add to google docs? Thanks for your patience.

Nevermind, I got it! And it turns out I didn't delete the other Greece applicant's info, it was just moved to another spot. The issue was I was trying to edit the spreadsheet on my phone--it was so simple once I tried it on my computer. 

To you awesome people who didn't get recommended, I'm sure you will go on to do bigger and better things! And echoing what many are saying, I would recommend reapplying. I learned from the mistakes I made the first time and I think I'm a stronger applicant because of it. Also, there are many factors we can't control, like our competition, who looks at our application, etc., that could work in your favor when you reapply. Best wishes!!

To those of us still in the running... looks like we're back at square one. I'm going to try to put it out of my mind and buckle down for the LSAT...

I was recommended for full research in Spain. I just had my official sealed transcript sent to the Fulbright office in New York, per the email. Does anyone know if we will receive confirmation when it arrives? I've had issues of transcripts getting "lost" in the mail before, and that's not something I'd like to deal with again...

I was recommended for full research in Spain. I just had my official sealed transcript sent to the Fulbright office in New York, per the email. Does anyone know if we will receive confirmation when it arrives? I've had issues of transcripts getting "lost" in the mail before, and that's not something I'd like to deal with again...

Yeah I'm really debating getting mine from the registrar and mailing it myself so I can track it...Also, any UK recommended people around? Did you find out if/when the interviews are? My FPA said they don't do them for all programs but idk...

I'd love to hear what you're proposing to research in Spain and where. I'm going to be applying to research something in the legal field in 2015. :D

Congrats again to all of the finalists!  I really hope that things work out for you guys and you get to experience all teh things abroad :)

I received some amazing support letters from my letter writers and the FPA last night when I sent out my "I'm sorry but I didn't get it" letter.  I had that written before I even knew the results just in case.  It made it easier to bow out gracefully if nothing else.  Honestly, my life is much less complicated this way and while it would have been awesome, everything works out one way or the other.  I've been offered some sort of position with the fellowship office here if the grant money can be found to help review applications for various fellowships for undergrads since the FPA said I was such a pleasure to work with.  It will be great experience.  I've learned so much.  Sent an email to my contacts in Ottawa and I will press on elsewhere.  There's no time to stop.  This train just keeps moving.

For those of us who didn't get it, you have to realize how you have already set yourself apart from your peers in effort alone.  It's never a waste to shoot high.  Think about how much better you can write other apps and sit through other interviews now.  You will move on even more than competitive. That's what everyone is telling me today and that's what I'm going to go with.  Very rarely do I "fail" at anything and despite this being my biggest academic "failure", I just refuse to see it that way.

Hm. We should talk. I was just recommended; also to go to Germany to do opera research. I'm looking at avant-garde opera reception (Lachenmann's and Czernowin's operas in particular) from 1997 to the present. You?

Hi! I am supposed to do early 20th century German composers from the Weimar Republic who were on the up and up but were forced to emigrate due to the Nazi regime. I applied as a singer, though, so my research has some performance elements to it.

Congrats again to all of the finalists!  I really hope that things work out for you guys and you get to experience all teh things abroad :)

I received some amazing support letters from my letter writers and the FPA last night when I sent out my "I'm sorry but I didn't get it" letter.  I had that written before I even knew the results just in case.  It made it easier to bow out gracefully if nothing else.  Honestly, my life is much less complicated this way and while it would have been awesome, everything works out one way or the other.  I've been offered some sort of position with the fellowship office here if the grant money can be found to help review applications for various fellowships for undergrads since the FPA said I was such a pleasure to work with.  It will be great experience.  I've learned so much.  Sent an email to my contacts in Ottawa and I will press on elsewhere.  There's no time to stop.  This train just keeps moving.

For those of us who didn't get it, you have to realize how you have already set yourself apart from your peers in effort alone.  It's never a waste to shoot high.  Think about how much better you can write other apps and sit through other interviews now.  You will move on even more than competitive. That's what everyone is telling me today and that's what I'm going to go with.  Very rarely do I "fail" at anything and despite this being my biggest academic "failure", I just refuse to see it that way.

So well said.

I, too, want to share a brief story of my own on how things work out for the best.  When I was in my first year of law school, I got amazing grades my first semester and then TANKED the second semester. I was beyond depressed, because, the way things work (or used to work, anyway) in the legal field, is that your first-year grades are all that prospective employers see when you're applying for the crucial second-summer internship, which often leads to your post-graduation job. Needless to say, I knew my dreams of ending up at "BigLaw" in a city like New York, DC, Chicago, or LA were pretty much dashed, or, at least, temporarily on hold.

In the end, I scored a summer associateship at a top-3 law firm in a significantly smaller city, and I could NOT be happier with how things worked out.  Not getting the grades to end up where I originally thought I wanted to go went from being the worst to the best thing that could have happened: it saved me years of no sleep, no fun, and general miserableness. As they say: law school is a pie-eating contest where the prize for being the best is just more pie... 

Long story short: everything happens for a reason. Even if you don't have the clarity to see that reason yet, you will.

I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing a lot of you in the 2015-2016 forum. :D

That's an awesome thing - the unexpected journey.  I often wonder why things work out in ways I never planned and then I think about ending up in grad school, which was never the plan.  And yet, I'm pretty happy right now teaching students and doing my own research.  I never thought I'd fall in love with the person I did at the WRONG time (ie comps) but I couldn't be happier.  Never thought I would ever end up enjoying teaching American Politics or stats either, but I do.  It's a weird, weird world.  The last year is nothing short of craziness but in a good way.  Best of luck to everyone and their journeys.

That's an awesome thing - the unexpected journey.  I often wonder why things work out in ways I never planned and then I think about ending up in grad school, which was never the plan.  And yet, I'm pretty happy right now teaching students and doing my own research.  I never thought I'd fall in love with the person I did at the WRONG time (ie comps) but I couldn't be happier.  Never thought I would ever end up enjoying teaching American Politics or stats either, but I do.  It's a weird, weird world.  The last year is nothing short of craziness but in a good way.  Best of luck to everyone and their journeys.

Yes! I agree with spainbound, that this is so well said. Even though I made it past this round, I could still not end up getting the Fulbright. While it would be disappointing, I know I have had many experiences where things actually turned out better than if they had gone as I originally planned, like finding my life partner or going into public health. You have to have faith that what is meant to be will be.

@overworkedta: I love your blog by the way! Will definitely be following your posts :)

I think everyone, regardless of if you got recommended or not, should go read this post: http://www.overworkedta.com/blog/2014/1/29/life-after-fulbright-life-after-defeat

We will all experience "failure" and I think there are good words of wisdom on how you can grow when things do not work out as initially hoped.

Another thing to check out, again regardless of recommendation status, is this speech by the amazing J. K. Rowling:

Congratulations!  And very impressive, not just that you re-applied but that you chose a country that doesn't award a huge number of grantees - I've seen some years they don't award any!  It's such a dynamic, fascinating country though, especially from a diplomatic perspective.  I traveled to Maturin in the eastern state of Monagas this past summer to see a good friend get married, and was only there for 5 days but came back with so many stories.  

I applied and was recommended for an ETA to Colombia, which I'm still reeling from myself, but I'll be rooting for you and everyone else in this next round.

Thank you! I'm really excited by the prosepect of spending time there. I've been interested in U.S.-Latin America politics for a while now, and I love studying U.S.-Cuba and U.S.-Venezuela relations the most. We'll have to see what happens!

Colombia should be fascinating as well! If we both make it through, we'll have to arrange a visit!