Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Just accepted as the principal candidate for the university of york in the uk 2014-2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Rejected from the UK Leicester Program. This is literally the worst day of my life. Wow. Good luck to everyone else.

Don't let one rejection impact your opinion of yourself!  Fulbright has its own agenda, and your awesomeness isn't defined by how well it matches that agenda!

Good things will come...

Believe me; I got rejected in round one...I was upset for a few days...then I got better news from another funding agency.  It all works out!

It just...leaves me in a horrible situation. This was my only chance at doing what I wanted to do and to have it be over, after preparing for 4 years for this opportunity, and without an explanation...I'm sure others were more qualified, I just wish I would have at least been an alternate. 

Hi arch_in_half, I also applied to Mexico City, but my field is neither eco or water-related, although your project sounds fascinating to me—and perfect for Mexico City. My proposed project is on transnational women writers in post-revolutionary Mexico. My interview was about a month ago as well. It looks like the last week in March is when most applicants for research grants in Mexico have received notification in the past. I bet we'll know by this time next week, and until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Wow, that sounds really interesting. Okay, looks like not too much longer of a wait... Good luck! 

It just...leaves me in a horrible situation. This was my only chance at doing what I wanted to do and to have it be over, after preparing for 4 years for this opportunity, and without an explanation...I'm sure others were more qualified, I just wish I would have at least been an alternate. 

I am really sorry!!!  I would try to find other sources of funding for your UK program, if possible.  Well, obviously, it would not be ideal... most unis (at least to my knowledge) in the UK accept US Federal Loans.  They can cover both tuition and living experiences. I am currently in London doing a Masters and was able to use US Federal Loans for a large portion of the tuition. 

Edited by meupatdoes

Yeah, unfortunately, due to my massive undergrad loans, I'm unable to take on more debt. Otherwise I would. I have funded PhD offers here, and though that should be a silver lining, I started planning for this since I was a freshman in college and I'm just a bit in shock, but still really happy for those who got the award. It brings a smile to my face just thinking that their dreams at least came true :) Especially considering how amazing this gradcafe community was for me throughout this process :)

listed as alternate for liverpool uk fulbright. weird feeling. its as if i know nothing new. definitely prepared for rejection which, as time goes on, would be fine with me. just wish the liverpool winner was on here saying "yay! i got it and i'm definitely doing it!" then I could relax....  all this speculation is weird stuff.

I was rejected for the UK Fulbright as well. It really is heartbreaking to get this far in the process and then not be accepted. 

Hey charmaine1,

Don't get yourself too down,  the fact that you were recommended for a Fulbright to the MOST COMPETITIVE country in the world is an amazing thing!  You're obviously a talented and intelligent individual to make it this far and I'm sure you'll be successful in whatever you choose to do this coming year.

Hey charmaine1,

Don't get yourself too down,  the fact that you were recommended for a Fulbright to the MOST COMPETITIVE country in the world is an amazing thing!  You're obviously a talented and intelligent individual to make it this far and I'm sure you'll be successful in whatever you choose to do this coming year.

I agree with NuclearFlea. Just by getting recommended for a country whose acceptance rate hovers around 5% is an amazing feat. Though I do hope you will reapply and become successful next time.

My university that I'll be doing a PhD at does no allow me to defer for a year nor does it allow me to take a leave for a year.

How restrictive... I hope it's your top program. I would be weary of going to a school where they aren't prioritizing their students' personal and professional development. I asked my graduate school, and they were very understanding--though a Masters and a PhD are in different arenas in term of academics and styles.

I would just like to say: no matter what happens, I think everyone should be proud of the work they've done. I did not think that I would even get recommended, much less to actually end up getting it (I'm guessing we Australian candidates will find out next Tuesday). I am going to be grateful that I've made it this far. We can all still put "Fulbright" on our resumes (perhaps only as finalists) and that still carries some weight.

Good luck all, and be kind to yourself. You've all worked hard to get this far! :-) my two cents, anyway...

I would just like to say: no matter what happens, I think everyone should be proud of the work they've done. I did not think that I would even get recommended, much less to actually end up getting it (I'm guessing we Australian candidates will find out next Tuesday). I am going to be grateful that I've made it this far. We can all still put "Fulbright" on our resumes (perhaps only as finalists) and that still carries some weight.

Good luck all, and be kind to yourself. You've all worked hard to get this far! :-) my two cents, anyway...

You are right. Thank you! I needed to hear this.

Looks like the Netherlands sent out emails yesterday too, according to the spreadsheet. And oddly, looks like there's one Romania decision right in between the Netherlands as well.

Edited by Neurovivor