Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

German Research/ETA hopefuls: do you think maybe April 1st will be the day? I noticed that acceptances are usually on a Tuesday for us... Then again, the delays might mean we have to wait a little longer. 

My roommate and I both applied. We've been refreshing our emails every half hour (okay, maybe more often when things are really slow...). Let me know if anyone for Germany hears back!

German Research/ETA hopefuls: do you think maybe April 1st will be the day? I noticed that acceptances are usually on a Tuesday for us... Then again, the delays might mean we have to wait a little longer. 

What are the "delays"??

Hi Vodnik,

I have been lurking for a few weeks, but signed up to answer you as another applicant to the Czech Republic. Like you, based on past years I thought we would have heard by now. In that it takes 90-120 days for a long term visa from what I understand, we'll have sit tight a little longer and then apply as soon as possible (in sales this is called the presumptive close). Let's visualize meeting next September for orientation in Prague! Whatever happens, this is such a supportive community, one that I have come to appreciate as I don't know anyone else who applied this year.

Another Czech Republic Fulbright ETA applicant here. I hope we hear soon! The waiting was fine while I had a date range in my mind (March 25-28), but now that it has passed, I find myself incessantly refreshing my e-mail.

Best of luck to you both!

Edited by FakeEmpire

Loooooong time lurker here - just found out I've been accepted for Mexico ETA! Subject line: Fulbright Applicant Status (P), received at 3:48PM CST. Feeling soso incredibly grateful for this opportunity!!

To all of those who are still waiting, best of luck!! To the alternates, you never know what's gonna happen next. And to those of you who weren't accepted, keep your chins up - I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. You made it to the finalist round for a reason, so that means you got something special in you, and you're bound to accomplish great things :)

Attention applicants to India! I just got word from another applicant that emailed USIEF that they plan on notifying us by the end of NEXT week. Hoping each of us receives good news.Good luck to all Fulbright applicants! 

Thank you for this! Did they give any more information, like the date the committee or whatever is meeting? It's so vague -- "by the end of next week" -- that could include this week, and when did USIEF send that email? If it was over the weekend maybe "next" week is this week?

Edited by JacquiC

What are the "delays"??

My guess would be that cantthinkofagoodusername is referring to the 15 day government shutdown this past fall. IIE operates under the State Department, and was likely required to send their non-essential personnel home and put the Fulbright projects on hold. The shutdown happened in early October, just before applications were due, so it might have interfered with a time that IIE usually uses to begin organizing/prepping for the wave of incoming applications.

Yeah, someone several pages back emailed someone from Fulbright asking when Germany would hear, and they said that it might be later than usual due to "delays." I'm not sure exactly what those delays are, but I'm guessing eatyourgreens is correct. I'm still crossing my fingers for tomorrow though!

My roommate and I both applied. We've been refreshing our emails every half hour (okay, maybe more often when things are really slow...). Let me know if anyone for Germany hears back!

Will do. I was ready to hear last week Tuesday, and since we didn't I've resigned myself to not hearing until April 11; but I'll post here and on the spreadsheet as soon as I hear yea or nay.

Did you and your roommate also apply for DAAD? Or were you both ETA applicants?

What are the "delays"??

I emailed Cara Doble, the Program Manager for Germany, about Germany notification dates, and she said that they were experiencing delays and that it's a "waiting game" at this point 

I emailed Cara Doble, the Program Manager for Germany, about Germany notification dates, and she said that they were experiencing delays and that it's a "waiting game" at this point 

I really really hope it's tomorrow or at the latest by Friday...

Ah I see, thanks! Too bad they are being so vague...

Just as a heads up, in GMail you can set it up such that it forwards a text message to your phone if you receive an email with certain words in it... like, say, "Fulbright"...  B)

Well, I got the dreaded NS email. So I won't be going to Mexico with a Fulbright this year. I'm really heartbroken, but determined to try again. I'm curious to hear from anyone else who tried at least twice before getting accepted. When I was recommended, I felt so confident that my application was strong, and although my interview wasn't great, it didn't feel terrible. 

I also want to thank everyone in this forum for being so supportive. Knowing that I wasn't alone, and that some of you were going through the same thing was comforting to me during the wait, and especially when the email finally came. I feel like just applying, getting recommended, and even rejected, I've been in good company all along the way.

And to those who were accepted today—I wish you the best of luck and a marvelous time in the coming year. 

My girlfriend and I are both waiting to hear back; Taiwan (ETA) & Ukraine (Circus History), respectively. She's gone a bit mad since she could hear back any minute now, while I'm nowhere close to it.

So, to further the neuroses of the thread, I added a 2013/2014 vs. 2014/2015 notification comparison sheet to the master google-doc, so you can check if things are happening earlier/later than last year in your region. In reality, there's probably no trend (except Western Europe being on its game), but enjoy. It should auto-update whenever the Notification Dates sheet is updated.

Just as a heads up, in GMail you can set it up such that it forwards a text message to your phone if you receive an email with certain words in it... like, say, "Fulbright"...  B)

Solid idea - I'd be too paranoid at this point that in attempting to set that up I would make some kind of mistake that ends up rejecting all emails containing certain words, like "Fulbright". Lol...

So...I didn't get the award this year, but later in my PhD I would have an opportunity. How many times is it appropriate to apply? Technically, I could apply twice more, but I'm also concerned because I'm looking at changing what I would study if accepted. Originally it was literature based, but I found some programs in conflict studies and since I hope to look at conflict in literature, I was thinking it might be nice to get a degree in conflict studies as a background. But I don't know if that is a stretch. 

For those still waiting: I am so sorry! But hey, dream a little longer!

Good luck to all still in the running!  Sorry for those who it didn't work for.

Just popping in to say to all of those (like myself) who didn't get it that it can still work out!  I just got funded for summer research in my chosen country (Canada) through my home institution and the host institution in combo!  It can be done :)

Good luck to all still in the running!  Sorry for those who it didn't work for.

Just popping in to say to all of those (like myself) who didn't get it that it can still work out!  I just got funded for summer research in my chosen country (Canada) through my home institution and the host institution in combo!  It can be done :)

Thanks, overworked TA. I know that this opens up other opportunities, but getting the Fulbright was my favorite opportunity.

True.  And for those of you that do, it's gonna be AMAZING I'm sure.  I hope all of you who've gotten this far get it :)

The application process, though, is INCREDIBLY useful for getting other grants, though.  I've helped others with their apps already and I got this one because of strong application alone.  My program wasn't obviously in line with the mission of the org I got funded by but it was close enough I could make a good case thanks to my Fulbrightin skills.

True. And for those of you that do, it's gonna be AMAZING I'm sure. I hope all of you who've gotten this far get it :)

The application process, though, is INCREDIBLY useful for getting other grants, though. I've helped others with their apps already and I got this one because of strong application alone. My program wasn't obviously in line with the mission of the org I got funded by but it was close enough I could make a good case thanks to my Fulbrightin skills.

THIS. Also the whole interview process was eye-opening, as I had never had this kind of interview before IN SPANISH and with Mexican academics. It was way more intimidating than I imagined (and I'm quite fluent!) Next time, I'll be better prepared.

It's a useful exercise.  I had a faculty member say just today  "someone will give you funding" and "each application makes you better at applications".  He's right.  Each interview, application, etc. makes you better at it.  And it's a very useful skill for those of us continuing on in academia.  And, boom, I found out I got funded today!

This is why I didn't get down when I missed out.  I was happy to see others succeed on here.  I hope only the best for you.  But I want the lurkers who didn't get it or won't to take stock in everything.

Thought I'd bring this up for those who are new to the forum and were asking about GPA requirements :) 

ATTENTION:

ANYONE WHO DOES NOT THINK THEY HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO EARN A FULBRIGHT GRANT

I just want to tell everyone to please be encouraged! Apply again. Even if you think you won't be accepted. I have posted in the 2013-14 forum but thought you all may need this. I have just been accepted and did not want to seem like I was bragging, but decided to post this anyway. 

I thought GPA was everything, but apparently not. I was a straight A student from Kindergarten through graduating High school, but not so much in college.

I had a 2.9 GPA and got a Fulbright. I am super happy for everyone with high GPA's (and would have loved to have a high GPA) but I don't want anyone to bank on that alone because it may hinder you elsewhere in your application. You have to stand out. Also although I had a 2.9 GPA I was a Bio major and did poorly, then switched to SPanish/Latin American Studies and got straight A's.

Some pointersL

1.  For my recommendations:

• I had the Dean of my college in my University (who was one of my Spanish professors in my last yr of university) rate my Spanish level,
  • had an AMAZING teacher I had for 2 Portuguese/Brazil classes rate my Portuguese, proofread my statements, and write a recommendation,
  • had one of my SPanish teachers (from Spain) write me a recommendation who I had for 2 Spanish courses,
  • and a professor who I had for 1 Brazilian History class, and who worked on the Fulbright committee in the past at my University (who also semi suggested Fulbright for me to get to Brazil) write my third recommendation.

I'm not saying these professors/deans made me get the grant, but they did help, especially with my poor GPA and I wanted to share with you. Make sure if you all apply again (and change nothing else) that you have professors who are current or who you participated in their courses and you know liked you much.

2.  In addition, I had 2 professors for Brazilian/Portuguese classes write recommendations. taking these classes probably showed I had a good level of the language

3.  I also know I put my heart and soul into (even though I started my statement about 2 months before the Oct 17 deadline), but once again I did not get even an alternate status in January. I thought to myself "Wow I did not even get an alternate status. How could I think I had a chance at being a competitive applicant?" not thinking that "Hey there were only 30 ETA slots and 1bout 170 who applied so that has nothing to do with you not having a good application"

4.  Apply to a country even if you do not think you have a good chance. There are people who applied to a country with very few grants or applied to a country with a lot of grants, a lot of applicants (low percentage of receiving a grant). Apply to what you want. Who would have thought there would be 90 grants added to the country you applied?

DO NOT GIVE UP. If you have a passion for a certain country and would like be there. DO NOT GIVE UP.

5.   Also, make sure your 2 statements are not the same at all. I PERSONALLY think your personal statement is slightly more important (but should definitely relate to your 2nd statement. Just be REAL in your statements. Do not exaggerrate or make things up. And DO NOT BORE THEM. Imagine how many essays they have read that sound the same. Tell them interesting things and important moments to you. In addition, prior to writing my statement I volunteered for a few months teaching immigrants English (since I did not have any experience teaching adults) and that in itself was beautiful.

6. I just felt the need to write this. Hopefully someone who doesn't think they are good enough and is on the fence about applying will read this and change their mind. Writing the statements definitely helped me see myself clearer than before. Overall be honest about your intentions. If you have a poor GPA in comparison to the 4.0's who you know are applying make sure you mention it in a half sentence. I mentioned that because my family came from poverty I wanted a career that would mean MONEY even if I did not like it. Directly from my statement:

"......Tales such as these often bothered me as a young girl, and as I reached adulthood, they directed me toward a pre-dental career path for the sole purpose of financial stability. Over the course of several semesters, all-the-while with Spanish as my minor, I acknowledged my long-time passion for language, and made a necessary change in career goal..."

I did not mention it ever again in my statement.

7. So BE ENCOURAGED. God has a path for each and every one of us and if you feel it in your heart that you are meant to do something please try again! When I attended the Fulbright meetings at my college (although I had to apply At-Large) I felt inferior in comparison to many overly confident students who knew EXACTLY what they wanted (research grants not ETAs).

Hopefully no one is annoyed :-P Sorry if I'm not typing perfect English. I just woke up and my kitten, Rosie, is distracting me

Any alternates, there is a chance for you!!! Keep your hopes up! After I was turned down in Jan (no alt status) I felt a tiny bit sad, but decided "I guess it was not meant for me" so hearing more slots were there in may, made me FLIP. Also I had people pray for me too :-)

Any questions? Contact me ;-)

Twitter: Ms_Krystalina

tuc15735@temple.edu