Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

ATTENTION SUB SAHARAN AFRICA RECOMMENDEES!  I just got off the phone with Jermaine Jones, the Fulbright SSA region program manager. I'm afraid it's not entirely good news, but at least it's something. He told me they are still waiting on the State Department (surprise, surprise) and they are expecting to hear back by either this coming weekend or next week sometime. He couldn't be any more specific than that. I told him I was calling on behalf of my SSA cohorts on the Grad Cafe forum and he said he was really sorry he couldn't be more specific and he thanked us all for our continued patience. He was very nice and I could tell he genuinely wished he could be more specific. He said he can't give me a date because they just don't know exactly when they'll get the go-ahead from the State Department.

So, for those of us really hoping for April 15, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. My guess is that it might be at the end of next week, i.e. around the 25th.

Sorry I couldn't pass along better news!

Apparently we'll hear back "within the next few weeks."

:/

Thanks Alfred92.

Not sure if you Colombia applicants saw my earlier post, but I was actually initially rejected and then got an email on March 24 informing me that Colombia got extra grant money and that the Colombian reviewers had therefore requested more applications. FWIW. I'm full research, not ETA, but this could be what is holding up the process. They had to wait for transcripts from me and whoever else was invited late into the game.

Edited by papertiger311

Just spoke to Jermaine. Sub-Saharan folks, you should be getting notifications this week, he is waiting for the State Department for approval. "My colleagues in DC are working very hard to get those approval done. You should be hearing by the end of this week." Ahh, can't wait. I just wanna know --whether selected or not. This 'I don't know what I'm doing with my life yet' is not fun.

ATTENTION SUB SAHARAN AFRICA RECOMMENDEES!  I just got off the phone with Jermaine Jones, the Fulbright SSA region program manager. I'm afraid it's not entirely good news, but at least it's something. He told me they are still waiting on the State Department (surprise, surprise) and they are expecting to hear back by either this coming weekend or next week sometime. He couldn't be any more specific than that. I told him I was calling on behalf of my SSA cohorts on the Grad Cafe forum and he said he was really sorry he couldn't be more specific and he thanked us all for our continued patience. He was very nice and I could tell he genuinely wished he could be more specific. He said he can't give me a date because they just don't know exactly when they'll get the go-ahead from the State Department.

So, for those of us really hoping for April 15, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. My guess is that it might be at the end of next week, i.e. around the 25th.

I just realized that these two things conflict with each other. :(

I got the Brazil ETA! I'm so happy!!!!! 

Thanks, Fulbright community for all your support this past month. You've kept me sane. 

Fingers Crossed, I've been lurking on so many of your posts. I'm curious too see if you got it.

I hope to stay in touch with all future Brazil ETAs!

Congratulations Nothinger! Hope I get to meet you in Brazil!!!

Thank you! You too!!!!

Yes! We should connect on facebook at some point so can actually recognize each other when it starts lol

If anyone is interested in creating a facebook that would be cool!

Just spoke to Jermaine. Sub-Saharan folks, you should be getting notifications this week, he is waiting for the State Department for approval. "My colleagues in DC are working very hard to get those approval done. You should be hearing by the end of this week." Ahh, can't wait. I just wanna know --whether selected or not. This 'I don't know what I'm doing with my life yet' is not fun.

I just realized that these two things conflict with each other. :(

Yeah, they sure do! I must admit I'm a bit flummoxed. It looks like I called about an hour and a half after Maliyazi did-- I wonder if between our two phone calls he got some updated information from State? That's the only thing I can figure. He was very clear with me that he isn't expecting to hear from State before "the weekend," [his words] or "possibly next week." [also his words]  Is there a lag time between when a regional PM gets the go-ahead from State and when they send out notifications? Or is it just once State emails them the OK it's just the push of a button to send out the notifications? Of course, I desperately hope that what he told Maliyazi is correct! Maybe he just got tired of us calling? Saying it won't be until next week would make it so we don't again before Monday. I really have no explanations.

I know this has been brought up on the board before, but what do people think about the chances of being moved from alternate to principle status? I was notified recently that I am an alternate for the ETA in Norway. I have to sign my contract for work soon and am not sure if I should wait to hear about the Fulbright. Thanks for any input! 

OF COURSE during the ONE HOUR I do not check my email because I am at Pilates class I get an email and a phone call from my FPA......

I'M GOING TO BRAZIL!!!!!!! Vamos, gente!!!!! SO excited and thrilled and ecstatic!!!!!! Congratulations to all my other Brazilian Fulbrighters!!!!! Shall we start a Facebook group?!?!?

Oh my god. I can't believe this. I'm an alternate AGAIN. I don't even know what to think right now.

Hi tieloran, how very frustrated you must be right now! Doing this twice in a row... I can't imagine how you are holding up! I am sending sweet vibes of hope and gentleness to soothe your soul. I truly hope you go from alternate to accepted!

I GOT THE FULBRIGHT!!!!! OMMMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS SmarteyMartey!!!  You must be sooooo excited!! I was really pulling for you and I'm so happy you got it!  YAY!!! :D

Just got the email. Non-select . Congrats to everyone who has made it. I guess life has something else in the cards for me.

Awww geez, minusthehare, I'm really sorry. I was rooting for you. The only thing I can say is...life goes on. You'll be OK and you'll do something else or apply again. Wherever life takes you, I'm sure you'll do some amazing things!

Congratulations to everyone that got good news today!

Hopefully we wannabe-waegukins fins out tomorrow--Tuesdays are have been big days for SK in the past.

Crossing my fingers!! I really hope we found out soon.

Yeah, they sure do! I must admit I'm a bit flummoxed. It looks like I called about an hour and a half after Maliyazi did-- I wonder if between our two phone calls he got some updated information from State? That's the only thing I can figure. He was very clear with me that he isn't expecting to hear from State before "the weekend," [his words] or "possibly next week." [also his words]  Is there a lag time between when a regional PM gets the go-ahead from State and when they send out notifications? Or is it just once State emails them the OK it's just the push of a button to send out the notifications? Of course, I desperately hope that what he told Maliyazi is correct! Maybe he just got tired of us calling? Saying it won't be until next week would make it so we don't again before Monday. I really have no explanations.

Maybe another one of us can call Jermaine tomorrow and whatever he tells us then should hopefully sort it out?  I can reach out to him again, unless another SSA applicant out there hasn't already reached out to him yet and wants to give it a try....  let us know.  Jermaine has told me previously that he is able to notify applicants within 24 hours of receiving the final selections. 

Yes, you should call him tomorrow jrk2115. Since I spoke to him today, I wouldn't be reaching out to him again this week. He did say whenever he receives the final selections from State, he will notify us immediately. To be accurate, he did say that he didn't have a specific date (which I wasn't expecting from him anyways) but that his colleagues in Washington are working hard and we should expect to hear  Ofcourse, "by the end of this week" could include the weekend. Or perhaps, when Mozartgirl53 called him he had received an updated information? I have no idea. Someone should call tomorrow and whatever he says is what we will go by.

And congrats to everyone who got good news today!! For those still waiting like us, you're almost there...Fulbright can't keep us in this waiting state any much longer. Can they? lol

Can't believe we're still waiting. Especially those of us still waiting for Europe. Ugh. Luckily I have committed to my Master's program in Denmark and received a scholarship, but I can't finalize all of my plans or work on getting my visa until I know if I got the Fulbright. I do know my plans for the most part though, so I know I am luckier than many. 

OF COURSE during the ONE HOUR I do not check my email because I am at Pilates class I get an email and a phone call from my FPA......

I'M GOING TO BRAZIL!!!!!!! Vamos, gente!!!!! SO excited and thrilled and ecstatic!!!!!! Congratulations to all my other Brazilian Fulbrighters!!!!! Shall we start a Facebook group?!?!?

Congrats FingersCrossed!! I was soo rooting for you, and your epic profile pic! My friend from my university also just got accepted to Brazil!!