Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I would be in Göteborg, but I've got a friend who also applied for Sweden and she'd be in Stockholm!

That's awesome! I so wish they would let us know soon. This is seriously killing me. I think they going out April 18th last year? We are getting very close to that date!

Is the person for Central America different than the rep for South America? Also, maybe she just meant that there's no "new news" about the status of grants, which could mean a million things from we haven't made final decisions yet to we're still waiting on the State Department.

Yes. The person is the same for both. The process is different for Central America though. Rather than award a specific number of grants to each individual country, Fulbright picks the best 26 or so from the region to select finalists.

Three weeks ago I emailed her and she told me "no final decisions have been made by any countries in the region." I just assumed no news means that I shouldn't have to check my email constantly this week or the next. I wish the email would have said "soon," but I would rather them take their time than rush through the applications.

I concur. jrk2115, that would be really cool if you could call. Since I also called him today I don't really want to call again, unless I disguise my voice or something...hahaha. Maybe since I told him I was calling on behalf of the SSA cohort on thegradcafe.com you could even tell him you've seen a little discrepancy and that we just want to verify. Of course, that's up to you--say whatever you're comfortable with. Upon reflection, I wonder if Maliyazi and I just put a different emphasis on what he was saying? Maybe he kinda said the same thing but we interpreted it a bit differently?  Perhaps I'm just more of a pessimist, haha?? Since he told Maliyazi he's waiting on the State Department but can't give an exact date but thinks we'll hear by the end of the week, and he told me he's waiting on the State Department and doesn't expect it until the end of the week or possibly next week, it could be possible he thinks he told us both the same thing. ??  Or, as Maliyazi and I both speculated, maybe he got some sort of update between our two calls. At any rate, I don't think at this point any of us would actually get rejected for "bugging him." They have their list of P, A, and NS; they're just waiting for the State Department review. Nevertheless, if you could call, jrk2115, I'm sure we SSA-ers would all be most appreciative. Thanks for volunteering! :) I am glad to hear Maliyazi's report that he can notify us "immediately" after getting the S.D. go-ahead.

Hello SSA applicants.  I called Jermaine and he said that he didn't have any further news thus far today but he reiterated that he's still waiting on the state department.  He said he hopes to receive the final selections by the end of this week, but it could also be by the end of the next week.  He then said he hopes to let us know by the end of this month, at the absolute latest.  He also said that this is what he hopes and that he has no idea for sure. So, it doesn't sound like we will hear back right away but it could be soon?  I am sure we are all hoping for sooner rather than later...

That's awesome! I so wish they would let us know soon. This is seriously killing me. I think they going out April 18th last year? We are getting very close to that date!

Last year was a Friday (April 19th) and the year before that was March 25th or 29th or some.

Really hoping we hear back by the end of the week!

This waiting is killing me. My friends keep asking me about Fulbright and I have no idea what to say. They know people who applied to Japan and Taiwan and now that both countries have notified, they are sure Korea already did and I just missed it because it went to spam. Ugh... I hate not knowing. It's actually kinda funny that it has been two weeks since someone posted that they had reliable info that the announcement would be the next day. Oh well! Let the wait continue.

This waiting is killing me. My friends keep asking me about Fulbright and I have no idea what to say. They know people who applied to Japan and Taiwan and now that both countries have notified, they are sure Korea already did and I just missed it because it went to spam. Ugh... I hate not knowing. It's actually kinda funny that it has been two weeks since someone posted that they had reliable info that the announcement would be the next day. Oh well! Let the wait continue.

People are saying the same thing about Vietnam!!!! This wait is excruciating, hopefully we are almost there.....

A bit of a random question to a very active forum: I just received the American Fulbright Award (I'm Canadian! I'l be studying at NYU). I know that Americans come to Canada with the Fulbright undergo an orientation in Ottawa with all the Fulbright scholars in their national cohort that year. I'm wondering- is there an American equivalent for Canadians studying in the USA? I would love to go to America-camp.

Has anyone else looked at the Medical Clearance Form?  I don't remember when I was vaccinated.  Do doctors have that information on file?  I've moved so much, I can't remember who to contact. . . .

A bit of a random question to a very active forum: I just received the American Fulbright Award (I'm Canadian! I'l be studying at NYU). I know that Americans come to Canada with the Fulbright undergo an orientation in Ottawa with all the Fulbright scholars in their national cohort that year. I'm wondering- is there an American equivalent for Canadians studying in the USA? I would love to go to America-camp.

Congrats! I'm not sure exactly, but I know one of the flyers I read mentioned "Access to a five-day enrichment “Gateway” orientation opportunity that takes place in various U.S. cities" as a benefit of a US Fulbright. I am an American student who applied to go to Canada, so I got a lot of the promotional info for both programs. I hope that helps and I hope we hear soon too!!

ahahaha sorry dude, dont shoot the messenger. I don't work at no IIE ahahahaha. Just passing along smoke and rumors like everybody else around here. Chill...it's already April 14 and according to your statistics the latest notifications ever went out for the ROK was 17 April...I'm sure they haven't forgotten.

So Eurasia - just got an email from Alyssa saying that "[they] are hopeful to be able to send notifications for Moldova within the next week." And Moldova tends to be one of the later countries notified (according to the spreadsheet)... so maybe there's an end in sight!

Edited by kdzhexon

If notifications for Korea don't go out today we will have hit an unprecedented time lapse - so all bets are kind of off to me at this point... Coincidentally enough - if they WERE to send out notifications today, it would follow the exact timeline of 4 years ago - exactly 77 days of elapsed time from initial US notification to final results. Seems almost too coincidental for the numbers to match up that precisely. Maybe we'll know before May?  

Hi all,

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from Sweden or Scandinavia?

The wait is so awful.

(BTW: Congrats to everyone who's gotten good news recently, and my condolences+good vibes to anyone who didn't get it/hasn't heard back)

Hi rhrhrhrh, I also applied to Sweden and would be doing medicinal chemistry research at Uppsala University.  Hopefully we'll be hearing back this week...I'm ready to stop checking my e-mail every 12 seconds.

If notifications for Korea don't go out today we will have hit an unprecedented time lapse - so all bets are kind of off to me at this point... Coincidentally enough - if they WERE to send out notifications today, it would follow the exact timeline of 4 years ago - exactly 77 days of elapsed time from initial US notification to final results. Seems almost too coincidental for the numbers to match up that precisely. Maybe we'll know before May?

NVM...Arigold had all the statistical analysis ahaha

So Eurasia - just got an email from Alyssa saying that "[they] are hopeful to be able to send notifications for Moldova within the next week." And Moldova tends to be one of the later countries notified (according to the spreadsheet)... so maybe there's an end in sight!

I hope that this means no later than Friday (for all of us Eurasian homeys)!

Why are there only 2 people in it?

Also thanks so much for making it! Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I am complaining. I was just curious to know whether people are actually using it or not.

Canada sent out notifications. Not selected but not too broken up about it. After reading more on it (I did very little research before applying!) I really don't think it was the best funding option for my dissertation and I have a few more things in the works. Good luck to everyone else! (NS in the subject line)