Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hiya Nick,

I also applied to Sweden--I'm looking to do biotech/chemical biology research at Chalmers University.

Really really hoping we find out by the end of the week!  

Has anyone contacted Eileen O'Malley about notifications?

I did on march 28th and got the same story about it being backed up in the state department. She is incredibly nice and friendly... Anyone willing to take one for the team and contact her again?

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Akeley about Korea ETA. Unfortunately, no word yet. I hope that all the Korea applicants find out soon! I need to know so I can seriously discuss deferment with med schools. Is the Tuesday/Friday trend based on the office hours? Or is it all just speculation?

Yep...all speculatioooooooooooooooooon!!!

Don't count on Mr. Akeley to answer any questions via email ahaha...or to ever be in the office to pick up the phone either! Those folks at the IIE must have one looooooooong lunch break!!! :rolleyes:

It's okay. It's all part of the fun~!

GLTY!

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Akeley about Korea ETA. Unfortunately, no word yet. I hope that all the Korea applicants find out soon! I need to know so I can seriously discuss deferment with med schools. Is the Tuesday/Friday trend based on the office hours? Or is it all just speculation?

I e-mailed him yesterday about the Korea ETA and haven't gotten a response. I'll let you know if I hear anything as well!

So strange that there's been seemingly little to no movement on acceptances today. I guess there really is a hold up on Europe/Eurasia. Bet there will be a flood of acceptances as soon as the dam breaks. I'm still gunning for Friday or earlier. Fingers crossed, y'all!

Got a call from an unknown number and optimistically thought it might be IIE.........turned out my credit card was compromised and they need to send me a new one.

Better than not getting a call and realizing Target messed up again! I'm trying really hard to have the glass half full. 

Better than not getting a call and realizing Target messed up again! I'm trying really hard to have the glass half full. 

It's no that bad. I don't have to pay any charges or anything, so that's good, it just felt like one of those "psych!" moments : p

As long as you didn't give THE CALLER information over the phone about your credit card Olioliwoo.  Are you absolutely positive it was your credit card company calling?  I've heard of scams where people are called and told their credit cards have been compromised only to end up giving all of their card info to the scammers to 'prove' they are the 'real' cardholder. 

Yep...all speculatioooooooooooooooooon!!!

Don't count on Mr. Akeley to answer any questions via email ahaha...or to ever be in the office to pick up the phone either! Those folks at the IIE must have one looooooooong lunch break!!! :rolleyes:

It's okay. It's all part of the fun~!

GLTY!

Let's be fair - all speculation, based on past years' notification dates. Do the East Asia and/or Korea specific contact folk have Tuesday/Friday office hours? If so, that might lend something of an explanation to the Tuesday/Friday trend. 

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Congratulations!

Thank you! (And...a belated "long time lurker" caveat XD) Just been holding my breath too long I couldn't bear to say anything. Congrats to all who got it before me, and the many more acceptances that I'm sure will pour out in short order!

Thank you! (And...a belated "long time lurker" caveat XD) Just been holding my breath too long I couldn't bear to say anything. Congrats to all who got it before me, and the many more acceptances that I'm sure will pour out in short order!

I creepily watched you update the excel spreadsheet and I was just going "please say 'accepted,' please say 'accepted'" in my head and when you did I was so excited... it was like watching baby turtles make it into the ocean or something! Haha... ANYWAY - Congratulations!!!!

Edited by kdzhexon

Found out I am accepted to Denmark! I'm still in shock. Sweden, hopefully you're soon!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  That is so exciting.  So many of friends studied abroad in Denmark, and they all loved it!!! I hope that you have a GREAT year there!

Korea ETA Non-Select.

Well, I'm going to go teach English in Korea somehow, so not getting Fulbright just makes the process a little harder. Any advice anyone has for pursuing a teaching job in Korea (preferably Seoul) would be greatly appreciated - I think someone on here was talking about it? If you could DM me, that would be amazing.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  That is so exciting.  So many of friends studied abroad in Denmark, and they all loved it!!! I hope that you have a GREAT year there!

Thanks so much! I have never been but I hear such great things and I am sure I will love it! :)

On an unrelated note: if I am writing that I received the Fulbright, is it a 'Fulbright Grant' or 'Fulbright Scholarship'? Or should I say 'selected as a Fulbright Scholar'? (It's for my 'accomplishments' for graduation.) Thanks! 

Also, for those who applied as ETA and are looking for another back-up opportunity, I got an email today about World Teach.  Apparently, they have opportunities to teach English in other countries that are funded (w/ stipend).  They are accepting application by May 1 for American Samoa.  They have other opportunities also.  I don't really know anything else about it, and I am not applying.  However, I thought it might interest some people.  :D

http://www.worldteach.org/site/c.buLRIbNOIbJ2G/b.6150597/k.37C5/Teach_Abroad_In_American_Samoa.htm