Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Mozartgirl -  I just want to thank you for being so genuine. There is too much insincerity in this world, and your heartfelt cheers for everyone are so positive and refreshing. If you don't get principal then there's definitely something wrong with the system!

Olioliwoo - Fingers crossed we hear of a promotion for you now that $ appears to (maybe?) be rolling into France. Need some good news for USF, dang it! You probably have a better shot at getting promoted than me because France is a much larger program than Moldova (only 2 ETA's). Also, read this on cracked.com and thought of you with your FL stories, haha: http://www.cracked.com/article/211_the-6-most-horrific-lessons-ever-taught-in-elementary-school/

Lastly, shout out to kdzhexon, who I reached out to about my alternate wait for Moldova and could not have been any nicer. Thanks, girl :)

Hi Sine, thank you for that very nice compliment! I know I'm a bit of a Pollyanna, but I don't care. It feels good to believe that everyone is good and deserving of something in life. Yes, I get burned once in a while-- some homeless people I hired to clean my house came back during the night and robbed me a few weeks ago--- but so what? I gave them a chance. And I'm never going to change that about me. I'm always going to cheer everybody on because I believe in the human spirit, and I think that's really the essence of the Fulbright program, isn't it? Anyway, I'm rooting for all of you-- go team Moldova!  (And France)

Hi! I've been reading this forum as I'm tearing my hair out waiting to hear about a Research grant to Russia... it has been helpful to see so many of you having the same experience :) I wish everyone the best of luck!

I emailed Alyssa Yeng yesterday, and she replied that they are hoping to get Russia notifications out by the end of the week. AAAAAAAAA. I hope this is good (and somewhat scary!) news for those of you waiting on Russia notification! If not this week, I really hope it's next week....

This is great news, SonaTina! I've been holding my breath about Russia and Ukraine, and this certainly seems to say Russia is ON. I hope tomorrow is a good day for Russia recommendees!

So, also got notified for Azerbaijan: I am an alternate.

Hi Vowel_Harmonizer, Congratulations! Making alternate is pretty cool! Are you a musician? People's handles always intrigue me. I play the piano, but defintiely waaaay below professional status. Anyway, here's hoping that (A) goes to a (P) and the sooner the better!

Hi Mozartgirl, I believe it applies to all countries, but since I'm sure this is hardship for most people - especially to a far away place like SSA, maybe contact Jeremy and see if it is possible for him/the Fulbright office to book the ticket. I'm sure it's a common issue for people. My fingers are still crossed for you! I hope everything works out with the transcript and that you hear back soon!! :)

Hi FingersCrossed_118, it looks like we have to fill out some sort of financial form and declare our assets, etc. Hopefully when they see I have no assets, haha (does the 1999 minivan count? haha) and no money they can do something to help. But I WILL get there, by hook or by crook! Anyone else with funding ideas, please let me know! Thanks.

Just got the e-mail from Sweden: non-select (NS in subject line).  I really wasn't prepared for this...it feels like I just got hit by a train.

Congratulations to everyone who was selected!  I'm sure that the experience will be life-changing.

I got selected as an alternate for Sweden as well.

I am a non-select for Sweden as well. Wow, this hurts even more than I thought it would.

I feel like I just got hit by a bus. To top it off, I'm stuck at a conference with all my co-workers who knew nothing about this. This is going to be a tough one to hide.

I got Alternate for Sweden, so more finger crossing...

Wow, guys, wow. Sweden is a tough one this year. cgerry14 and sel386, I am truly sorry. I really thought you both would get it. You are both so passionate about your scholarship that I know you will find a way. Geez. I feel really bad. Three years ago, finishing up my master's degree, I applied to the geography department at UW Seattle. I had taken a couple of graduate seminars with them, and two of the professors wrote letters for me. They both volunteered to chair my committee. I was so sure I'd get in, I didn't apply anywhere else. Well, I bombed the GRE. I had the flu when I took it, and in fact when I finished the test, my son drove me to the ER and I was admitted to the hospital for a couple of days. Long story short, those two professors went to bat for me, but I was not admitted. I thought my life was over. Being hit by a train or bus was exactly the feeling. I hurriedly applied to a couple of other places (way late) and fortunately got accepted at Gonzaga. But it hurt; it hurt unbearably. Everyone thought I was the one who was going to get into an awesome PhD program. The pressure was undeniable. And then I let everybody down. Or so I thought. But it has turned out pretty well, and today I got this great news and I thought, yeah, this makes up for the non-admit to UW Seattle. So, I'm just trying to say... I KNOW how you feel right now. It's crushing. But I also KNOW you will get past this. If you can just hang on to that thought, just BELIEVE it will get better...and it will. I have 100% faith in you; after all, you made it to the finals! That is nothing to sneeze at! You will be OK. I promise.

rhrhrhrhrh and nick, congratulations on your alternate status! I am sending vibes out into the universe in hopes someone, or two someones out there decide this isn't the best option for them, and voila! You will still get the grants. I'll be here thinking about you as long as it takes! Good luck!

I hope your status changes Normando - I was rootin' for ya!

Thank you - and same to you!!  Even though we're frozen in a bizarre waiting/hoping/despairing state for the moment, I'm still optimistic and will keep my fingers crossed for all of us members of the (A) team.:D

Time: 7:21 EDT

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (P)

Letter:  Dear Ms. Brown,

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

aa6f9c8d1fc81c6596939ec80fce0e42-goat-ju

Congrats! We were all rooting for you! 

I'm hoping that we'll hear back within the month, but, as it says in the email, we could potentially be selected up until the end of the "Fulbright year."  I guess it could be months til finding out 

Hi, also got (A) status for ETA to Russia. Anybody have an idea of how long (P)s are given to accept/decline an offer and when alternates can expect to hear back, should their status change to principles candidates?

Hey Normando13 and S00sanna, Congrats on your alternate status to Russia!  I'm so grateful that Russia seems to being going ahead full steam and I hope everybody finds out soon! Maybe South America will come tomorrow, who knows? I know this means yet more waiting for you, Normando and S00, but I really hope the waiting turns into going! Best of luck in getting that (P) letter SOON!

I just found out that I am an alternate for Russia as well. I kind of knew that I would get that, but I'm hopeful for an upgrade in status. Fingers crossed for all us alternates. 

Does anyone have any idea how many alternates there usually are?

Hi danielaface, congratulations! I too am hopeful you'll get upgraded! Fingers crossed out here on the left coast!

aa6f9c8d1fc81c6596939ec80fce0e42-goat-ju

Congrats! We were all rooting for you! 

Haha! Thanks sirskipsalot! I love the gif! My doggies (a Pom and a Shih Tzu) actually looked a lot like this, because I started jumping and screaming and they started barking and jumping up on me; it was really funny! Even Sammy the cat got in on the action!  Thanks for the well wishes; it is deeply appreciated.

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

OMG! OMG! OMG! Congratulations! You deserve it so much! Your research will make the world a better place!

Also, here is my GIF to you:

Tangled.gif

Congrats to everyone hearing about their Fulbright acceptances and best of luck to Alternates (my fingers are crossed for you) and to those seeking other paths.

I found out this morning I received the Fulbright to SWEDEN!

Is there anyone else out there also heading to SWEDEN in the fall?

Congratulations!

I am SO happy for you!!! I was lurking on here waiting with crossed fingers that you'd get it - HUGE congratulations!

Congratulations!

YESSSSSSSS! Well deserved! I hope you influence and make people better just like you did here! It feels great knowing fulbright is sending wonderful people! :)

Congrats to everyone hearing about their Fulbright acceptances and best of luck to Alternates (my fingers are crossed for you) and to those seeking other paths.

I found out this morning I received the Fulbright to SWEDEN!

Is there anyone else out there also heading to SWEDEN in the fall?

Yay! Congratulations! You should check the excel sheet for other Sweden folks. :)

Hey Normando13 and S00sanna, Congrats on your alternate status to Russia!  I'm so grateful that Russia seems to being going ahead full steam and I hope everybody finds out soon! Maybe South America will come tomorrow, who knows? I know this means yet more waiting for you, Normando and S00, but I really hope the waiting turns into going! Best of luck in getting that (P) letter SOON!

Thank you, and congratulations on your (P)!:D

Congratulations, Mozartgirl53! I agree with everyone on the forum that your warm and encouraging words keep us all positive and motivated! Specifically, you make sure you comment on everyone's posts individually, which is not only remarkable in itself but extremely genuine. You absolutely deserve this opportunity and please keep us posted!

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Is today the day, rest of Eurasian countries? I've stocked up on non-romantic comedies, Blue Moon, Cherry Garcia, and a few shoulders to cry on or embrace me. Plus, my boss is in NYC today so....more time to actively freak out. 

Is today the day, rest of Eurasian countries? I've stocked up on non-romantic comedies, Blue Moon, Cherry Garcia, and a few shoulders to cry on or embrace me. Plus, my boss is in NYC today so....more time to actively freak out.

I like the way you think.