Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Lalakey, I'm so sorry for you... I remember you from last year and I was really pulling for you. I know you don't want people to tell you to keep your head up, focus on your PhD program, etc... you can have some time to be sad and angry, that's your right and perfectly normal. But I know the sting will lessen in time, and it sounds like you still have some wonderful opportunities ahead of you. Best of luck to you.

It's okay. I posted a self-congratulating "announcement" status about my PhD on facebook so I could get a lot of anonymous internet validation. ;)

I know that this rejection will just make me hungrier than ever, honestly. I mean it sucks, but hey, I will find a way, you know?

Edited by lalakey

I haven't heard back from Fulbright yet, but this is my third time applying. It's... been a journey, and I've been through a lot of heartbreak. I'm genuinely hoping that the Fulbright commission sees my persistence and passion, and that the God(s) are going to grant me this amazing opportunity. 

kbui, I hope the third time is a charm for you. 

I also got rejected for Germany for a study grant. But you know what - 10,000 applicants applied for Fulbright, only a few then get to the finals round. It's tough for the committee to make these decisions and I figure all of us were deserving of pursuing our projects. I'm so thankful to have been through the whole process and I know I'm still going to make a positive impact on the world in my future, with or without a Fulbright in hand.  

I'd like to share this link - hope it makes some of you feel better:

http://www.businessinsider.com/successful-people-who-failed-at-first-2014-3?op=1

Congratulations to all those who have gotten grants, seriously, all the best!! Well deserved. And if anyone who didn't get a grant is planning on being in the Boston area next year (I can now finally accept that research fellowship at Mass General!), PM me! 

It's okay. I posted a self-congratulating "announcement" status about my PhD on facebook so I could get a lot of anonymous internet validation. ;)

I know that this rejection will just make me hungrier than ever, honestly. I mean it sucks, but hey, I will find a way, you know?

Hi lalakey – I'm sorry you didn't get the Fulbright, but it sounds like you have good news about PhD! (....what is the good news about PhD?)

(I'd love to be part of the mob of anonymous internet validation headed your way.)

Edited by Discordant_Aesthete

Hi lalakey – I'm sorry you didn't get the Fulbright, but it sounds like you have good news about PhD! (....what is the good news about PhD?)

(I'd love to be part of the mob of anonymous internet validation headed your way.)

Haha, I've known for a while that I have a full ride to my PhD/DMA in music, so I'll probably write my dissertation on what would have been my Fulbright proposal, and also shamelessly exploit the school's concert hall to do performances of these beautiful and unknown German works!

Congrats everyone, you are all brilliant. I have really enjoyed hanging with you. I also really appreciate your kind words. I may reapply but likely not in the same capacity as this year, as I will be into my PhD next year (and I honestly need to look up what that means for what programs I can apply for.) You likely haven't seen the last of me, I'm afraid. ;) Might be taking a little break though 'cause I just need to not obsess right now!

argh, still waiting to hear from Germany/Research. Did any other country's applicants experience such lags in notifications? I've been checking my spam folder as well...

Dear all,

I have been reading this discussion for a short time now but haven't participated. I just found out that I am a non-select for the Fulbright to Switzerland I applied to. I wish you all best of luck in your further endeavors, and congratulations to all of you who will be studying abroad next year!

Hey lalakey, I'm very sorry you didn't get the Fulbright. You're one of my favorite people on this site. It sounds like you have a brilliant music career ahead of you. My son got a B.Mus. in piano performance at Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle. Now he's at MIT doing computer science. I can honestly say I've never successfully predicted what my life would be five years into the future; so you never know, but congrats on the PhD program! I'm still waiting-- SubSaharan Africa doesn't usually send out notifications until mid-April, so I hope you'll peek at this thread once in a while so you can either congratulate me or commiserate with me! Good luck on all your future endeavors!

I'm excited because today I will get a break from being so focused on Fulbright (although the topic is related to my research proposal). April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day!

Autism spectrum disorder is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the US. According to the CDC, 1 in 68 American children have autism. The WHO states that "[d]espite the high burden of autism and other developmental disorders in children and adolescents, these conditions have been widely neglected by policy makers and public health experts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries."

If you see a lot of people wearing blue today, this is the reason.

worldautismawarenessday.jpg

Hey Olioliwoo, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!! My son, now 30, has Asperger's. He had a very, very difficult childhood because no one could diagnose him properly. I finally diagnosed him myself after reading an article in Good Housekeeping magazine, of all things! It was an article written by a mom who had a son with Asperger's. Luckily, we lived near Stanford U at the time and I was able to bring Joey to one of their top child psychiatrists who confirmed my diagnosis, After some wrong turns, he went to Cornish College of the Arts and got a B. Mus. in piano performance. He is now at MIT studying computer programming! I always tell parents to keep hope alive and never, ever give up.

In GMail, you go to "settings" > "forwarding". You'll then need to set up your mobile phone's email address as the address, which depends on your service carrier. You can google "Email my phone" to find out what your carrier's domain is. For AT&T, it's (your phone number)@txt.att.net, for example.

You also might have to confirm the "email", so you'll get a text to your phone with a confirmation key somewhere in it.

Then underneath that, still in the settings tab, there should be a tip saying create a filter. I went for "Fulbright" under "has the words". Create the filter, and when it prompts you what to do with it, click "Forward it to" and select your phone's email address. 

Then send yourself an email titled/containing "FULBRIGHT FULBRIGHT FULBRIGHT LOL" like I did just to test it out! ;)  If it doesn't work, check the carrier domain. An older site that I googled told me initially to use @mobile.att.net, and that didn't work.

Now when you go to the "Filters" it should be listed.

*edit: got my AT&T emails mixed up, try txt.att.net! I'm not sure if these are accurate, but here 's a big list of the email addresses

Complicaits, thank you!!!  I followed your directions and it worked perfectly! FYI, for Verizon, it's your phone # @vtext.com.  I put "Fulbright" in the "subject" box, so I don't get a text whenever my friends ask about it in the body of their emails.

Hessen was my top choice, so I was pleased. I think for the most part people got one of their top 3 choices, and in cases where they didn't there seemed to be somewhat of an effort to compromise (i.e. people who indicated Northern Germany via Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen ending up in Schleswig-Holstein). Certainly if your top 3 are Bayern, Berlin and Hamburg there's a decent chance you won't necessarily get any of those, but otherwise I think they try hard to match people with their preferences. 

Very few people are at Grundschulen... I can only think of one first-year TA off the top of my head, and I think she specifically talked about experience working with younger children in her application. I know there is also one 2nd year at a Grundschule. Thus most everyone is working with kids between 12-22, though the actual range depends on what type of secondary school you're at (many people are at Gymnasien, but not all -- I am at a Realschule, and a fair amount of people are at Berufschulen). 

Thanks for all of the helpful information! My preferences were (1) Berlin (2) Hamburg (3) Baden-Württemberg. So maybe, if get accepted, they will just throw me somewhere random :(. I take it very few people get Berlin or Hamburg then?

I should be doing statistics homework, but of course I'm here, lol.  Make of these stats what you will.  These are stats for Study/Research Grants (Full) ONLY:

Last year (2013-14):  4,924 total applicants, 830 awards given, awards given to approximately 17% of applicants

This year (2014-15)   5, 035 total applicants

Sub-Saharan Africa:

(2012-13) :   533 applicants, 66 awards

(2013-14)     489 applicants, 56 awards, awards given to approximately 11% of applicants

(2014-15):    484 applicants

Zambia

(2012-13);    13 applicants, 2 awards

(2013-14):    13 applicants, 3 awards, awards given to approximately 23% of applicants

(2014-15):     8  applicants

I should mention that Sub-Saharan Africa no longer has country quotas. Rather, they have a number for the entire region, which for last year appeared to be 56, down from 66 the year before. 

I should be doing statistics homework, but of course I'm here, lol.  Make of these stats what you will.  These are stats for Study/Research Grants (Full) ONLY:

Last year (2013-14):  4,924 total applicants, 830 awards given, awards given to approximately 17% of applicants

This year (2014-15)   5, 035 total applicants

Sub-Saharan Africa:

(2012-13) :   533 applicants, 66 awards

(2013-14)     489 applicants, 56 awards, awards given to approximately 11% of applicants

(2014-15):    484 applicants

Zambia

(2012-13);    13 applicants, 2 awards

(2013-14):    13 applicants, 3 awards, awards given to approximately 23% of applicants

(2014-15):     8  applicants

I should mention that Sub-Saharan Africa no longer has country quotas. Rather, they have a number for the entire region, which for last year appeared to be 56, down from 66 the year before. 

Hi Mozartgirl53;

I have posted a few times before the recommendation came out in January, but I have been lurking since then. But it is good to see another Sub-Saharan applicant, even though I didnt apply for research. I applied for ETA in Kenya. Are these numbers for research grants only? Any other Sub-Saharan folks out there? South Africa and Rwanda ETAs?

OK everybody who is planning at some point to teach/research at the university level: I have a question. So, one of the best things about being chosen for a Fulbright (and I won't hear until mid-April) is that you forever get to put on your CV that you were a Fulbright scholar. My question is, where on the CV would you put this? I don't want to bury it somewhere in the back in the awards/honors section. I would kinda want to put it right at the top:  Fulbright scholar to Zambia, 2014-15. Right now my CV starts with the Education Section. I could put it under Gonzaga University, PhD Candidate in Leadership Studies, Emphasis African Studies. Then perhaps the next line, Fulbright... ?  What do you all think? I know this is really premature, but I'm a bit fixated on it at the moment! :-)

Hi Mozartgirl53;

I have posted a few times before the recommendation came out in January, but I have been lurking since then. But it is good to see another Sub-Saharan applicant, even though I didnt apply for research. I applied for ETA in Kenya. Are these numbers for research grants only? Any other Sub-Saharan folks out there? South Africa and Rwanda ETAs?

Hi Maliyazi!  FINALLY, a voice from Sub-Saharan Africa!  You're the first one I've "met" on this thread. Yes, these stats are for Research grants only. i just looked at the numbers for each region on the Fulbright site and added them up.  You can do the same thing for ETAs. I'd really like to go to Kenya some day. I'll be rooting for you!

Hello, any Malaysia ETA applicants? If so, when are we going to find out?? Anyone contacted MACEE? Or have any insider information from your advisor? 

I am also a Malaysia ETA applicant! I saw a couple others a few pages back on this thread too I think. I have no info though... just anxiously waiting :/

You're welcome. I hope this doesn't get you down too long. It's totally understandable to be a bit bummed, but, as you well know, there are always other things. Honestly, I think sopranos have it worse than composers. Audition fees...accompanist fees? Anyway...

Check out my music - I'm always looking for collaborators! Do you have any sound files?

https://soundcloud.com/joellove

I listened because I'm a creepy interloper. I mean, I don't know anything at all about composing, but what I heard was amazingggg!

Thanks for all of the helpful information! My preferences were (1) Berlin (2) Hamburg (3) Baden-Württemberg. So maybe, if get accepted, they will just throw me somewhere random :(. I take it very few people get Berlin or Hamburg then?

Not necessarily -- there are probably 10 or so ETAs in each city, plus more in the area. But there are likely a lot more people putting those cities/states as their choices than there are actually spots available in either. But, for example, they might put you in Brandenburg instead of Berlin, which isn't a whole lot different. Or maybe they'd put you in far northern Niedersachsen rather than Hamburg. Really, I wouldn't sweat it. I know very few people 100 percent unhappy with where they are right now. 

Hello fellow Fulbright applicants. I have been lurking around for about the last 50 pages of comments. I applied to be an ETA in Laos this year (hello Mo). I am unique in that I do not currently live in the US. I currently live/work in Thailand. Anyone else in a similiar situation?

Edited by chok dee