Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

In case anyone is interested, I emailed Eileen O'Malley and received this:

"I am hopeful that we will be in a position to send notifications for Denmark soon. I am still awaiting Department of State approval to move forward and am hopeful that you will be notified shortly."

I would imagine most of our notifications are held up in the State Department currently. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's something.

"I am hopeful that we will be in a position to send notifications for Denmark soon. I am still awaiting Department of State approval to move forward and am hopeful that you will be notified shortly."

I would imagine most of our notifications are held up in the State Department currently. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's something.

Does anyone know (or have any idea) what exactly the State Department has to do to approve the countries' decisions? Is it just a formality or do you think they go through, one by one, and re-review the candidates that were selected?

I know that the S. Department has the power to reject someone. The school and foreign committee could love you, but then for w/e reason, the S. Dept says no, and you don't get the award. 

To all those waiting for news from Brazil - I called Jody Dudderer - the FPA for Brazil - and she told me that they are hoping to get all notifications out for ETAs and research this week! "Hoping" being the operative word - she really emphasized it. 

Thanks so much for doing this!! Based on this response, I don't think any decisions will come out this week.

In the meantime, I've discovered this silly, addicting game called 2048 (Google it if you're bored).

Also, Fingers_Crossed, what did you decide to do with the fellowship? I hope it went well!

Does anyone know (or have any idea) what exactly the State Department has to do to approve the countries' decisions? Is it just a formality or do you think they go through, one by one, and re-review the candidates that were selected?

The U.S. Department of State verifies that all applicants are valid U.S. citizens, have not been convicted of any prior felonies (specifically related to illegal drugs) and are medically fit to conduct their proposed study/research. The last part of that process is of course verified after acceptance. Other factors are the verification and allocation of appropriate funding, and other bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo I am sure would not interest any of you. That was the general answer that I received from the PAS (Public Affairs Section) of the local U.S. Embassy. I think it is quite a rare occurrence for somebody to get rejected on that level, but who knows. Lets let our paranoid minds run wild...

GLTA.

The U.S. Department of State verifies that all applicants are valid U.S. citizens, have not been convicted of any prior felonies (specifically related to illegal drugs) and are medically fit to conduct their proposed study/research. The last part of that process is of course verified after acceptance. Other factors are the verification and allocation of appropriate funding, and other bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo I am sure would not interest any of you. That was the general answer that I received from the PAS (Public Affairs Section) of the local U.S. Embassy. I think it is quite a rare occurrence for somebody to get rejected on that level, but who knows. Lets let our paranoid minds run wild...

GLTA.

VERY helpful. Thank you so much! 

I got more or less a copied and pasted response from Bosnia. I anticipate we'll all be finding out around the same time. 

I want to get my recommendation writers gifts to show how much I appreciate their support and help throughout the application process.  Do you think this would be cheesy or is it a good idea?

I always do this. A quick thank you card with a Starbucks/crate & barrel gift card, or something more personal if you know them really well. Last time I travelled, I had a grant from my university and a bunch of fundraised help from loved ones. I made sure I sent select people postcards from the trip, or gave a shout out on my travel blog. Small things like that don't cost much money at all, and let them know that you're grateful for however they've helped. 

If you get the Fulbright, I'd send them a quick email before you leave as well. Just to let them know the plan actually came to fruition. Let them know you'll be gone for however long, and that they helped you get there! Also toss them a blog link (if you plan on doing so) so you have one more reader! My professors always love that kind of stuff. It also helps keep them in the loop in case you ask for another recommendation when you get back. 

Hey, venus in jorts and rosecoyote! I'm also a recommended applicant to the Bulgaria ETA, and reading your posts have encouraged me to stop lurking and join the forum  :lol: 

My own proposed side project also involves creative writing and literary magazine-type things. (I was an editor at my college's lit magazine). If by good fortune we are all accepted, I would love to collaborate on any project. 

To be honest, I literally crave the chance to teach creative writing.... I currently teach at a language school in South Korea (not for much longer), but unfortunately the business I work for is one of the more unfortunate byproducts of globalization and the ascendancy of English as a lingua franca. I'd feel far fewer moral compunctions teaching English as an agent of American soft diplomacy than as an amplifier of terribly outdated and ineffective corporatized education models. Luckily, if I get the Bulgaria Fulbright, my fellow Fulbrighters will be people who want to use their teaching experiences to contribute something positive and relevant to their students' lives.

Let's do something awesome. Now, all that's left is to be accepted....  :blink:

As regards the FISI, it appears they are no longer providing the funding for ETAs to attend. There used to be an ETA-only course in the FISI schedule that I assume constituted orientation for the ETAs. There is no mention of an ETA course in this year's FISI schedule. Some of the FISI courses look fascinating, however, and I plan on attending even if it means paying money out of pocket.

As for the waiting, we can do it. As they say at my alma mater: Bear Down!

As they say in Korea: 화이팅! (Fighting!)

Best of luck to everyone!

풀브라이트  화이팅!

I really hope we all get to collaborate together! Persona - your experience teaching in South Korea sounds fascinating, if not all together ideal.  As a public school English teacher, I see my students constantly compared to their international competition - I know that South Korean schools are considered second only to Finland.  (I have my doubts about the validity of those comparisons, however, since I believe they discount cultural differences and inclusivity rates that obviously factor heavily into the data, not to mention the subjectiveness of the actual assessments.  And I'm loyal to my students, knowing that their intelligence and creativity far exceeds what is measured on standardized tests.)  I would love to hear your take on it, as an American teaching in the S. Korean system.  

Also - for what it's worth - I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley, too.  She said:

"I hope to be able to receive approval to move forward with notification for Bulgaria soon unfortunately I don’t have a timeline that I can confirm at this point, but I expect sooner rather than later!"

So it sounds like decisions have already been made!!! 

Edited by rosecoyote

Hiii so I'm really new to this, but glad I found this forum! I was starting to get a bit anxious. I got recommended for an ETA Position in Malaysia and am superrrrr hopeful to hear back good news very soon (fingers crossed). Does anyone know when Malaysia typically sends out notifications, like in previous years maybe? 

I really hope we all get to collaborate together! Persona - your experience teaching in South Korea sounds fascinating, if not all together ideal.  As a public school English teacher, I see my students constantly compared to their international competition - I know that South Korean schools are considered second only to Finland.  (I have my doubts about the validity of those comparisons, however, since I believe they discount cultural differences and inclusivity rates that obviously factor heavily into the data, not to mention the subjectiveness of the actual assessments.  And I'm loyal to my students, knowing that their intelligence and creativity far exceeds what is measured on standardized tests.)  I would love to hear your take on it, as an American teaching in the S. Korean system.  

Also - for what it's worth - I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley, too.  She said:

"I hope to be able to receive approval to move forward with notification for Bulgaria soon unfortunately I don’t have a timeline that I can confirm at this point, but I expect sooner rather than later!"

So it sounds like decisions have already been made!!! 

Ahhhh, so it sounds like she's just waiting on the State Department. Come on, State Department, you got this, it's all you! I'm supposed to appear on a panel for potential applicants at my university on Thursday and if we don't hear by then things might not go well. "Don't do it to yourselves, kids! Fulbright is a cruel mistress!!"

Ok, theatrics aside - thanks for emailing, rosecoyote. When did you hear back? And nice to meet you, persona_in_foro!

I agree completely. Every recommendation writer, regardless of the outcome, has always gotten (at the very least) a nice card with a note in it. Sometimes I also do a gift card to a restaurant, or sometimes I go the the cupcake shop and buy them cupcakes :) Everyone loves cupcakes.  

You're encouraging me to be more creative... I am usually only creative with the types of cards! 

This is pretty annoying. Family and friends keep asking me about Fulbright on a daily basis and I never have anything to say. I guess the "Still?!?!" responses at least validate my impatience. I did, however, find out today that my school will have the  the Fulbright director for Poland host a lunch with students a few weeks from now. While I may not be interested in Poland, if I get rejected by then, she might have some advise on reapplying. 

Trying oh-so-desperately to stay positive.

I'm starting to crack under the pressure! My fiancé and I need to make some major life decisions (he's military and we just got new orders) and they all hinge on whether or not I'm awarded the Fulbright! These life decisions need to be made this week or next at the latest (cue freak out at the state department delay news). It would be super lovely if they let us know soon, I sure would sleep better!

Ahhhh, so it sounds like she's just waiting on the State Department. Come on, State Department, you got this, it's all you! I'm supposed to appear on a panel for potential applicants at my university on Thursday and if we don't hear by then things might not go well. "Don't do it to yourselves, kids! Fulbright is a cruel mistress!!"

Ok, theatrics aside - thanks for emailing, rosecoyote. When did you hear back? And nice to meet you, persona_in_foro!

I'm totally with you, though I think the waiting is getting just a little easier this week. I have to act as though I'll be at my job next year, because I don't want to count on something as competitive as a Fulbright, so I'm meeting my possible AP students for next year and trying to get a creative writing elective brought back now that CA's financial situation has improved since the financial crisis. But my coworkers ask me every day if I've heard - I feel almost guilty that I have nothing to report!

I emailed Eileen late yesterday afternoon and she responded this morning. Maybe the quick turn around is good sign that we will find out soon? Hope so!!

Yeah, I just found out that Tom Healy, the chairman of the Fulbright Board, is coming to my school tomorrow to speak. How timely.

On another note, J. W. Fulbright was actually a student and at one point the president of the university I attend. Even my college (arts and sciences) and some buildings on campus are named after him. Which might seem pretty cool; however, it was getting a little unnerving when half my emails have the word "Fulbright" in the subject line. Talk about mind games.

Edited by kp_jabalí

Hey kp_jabali! I attend Arkansas as well. Where is Tom Healy speaking at? Is it closed to a certain student group?

Hey! I believe in the Union Connections Lounge at 2:30. And it's open to everyone! Lemonade and cake. It is in celebration of Fulbright's birthday.

Edited by kp_jabalí

Hiii so I'm really new to this, but glad I found this forum! I was starting to get a bit anxious. I got recommended for an ETA Position in Malaysia and am superrrrr hopeful to hear back good news very soon (fingers crossed). Does anyone know when Malaysia typically sends out notifications, like in previous years maybe? 

Hi Farrahe! I am waiting for my Malaysia notification any time now, too. According to the collective spreadsheet, we are in the notification window and hopefully will hear any day now (I hope!). 

I encourage all of us waiting to take a deep breath. I laugh inside a little that we all get so freaked out. We did our best in this process. It's out of our hands now! Best of luck to all!

Hi Farrahe! I am waiting for my Malaysia notification any time now, too. According to the collective spreadsheet, we are in the notification window and hopefully will hear any day now (I hope!). 

I encourage all of us waiting to take a deep breath. I laugh inside a little that we all get so freaked out. We did our best in this process. It's out of our hands now! Best of luck to all!

I'm also waiting on Malaysia... it has to be soon! I mean, I think so. It really is out of our hands, but the wait is so tough. Here's to hoping tomorrow is the day! :)

Hi,

I'm the one who applied to Norway whose notification dates didn't match anyone else's. I'm a professional journalist and applied for a Fulbright Scholar grant. On December 6, I learned I'd made it through peer review and was a finalist. On March 25, I got the disappointing news that my project was not selected. I updated my info on the Grad Cafe Google doc which rattled a few folks who were also waiting and hadn't heard yet. Good luck to all who are waiting...

Hi NoNorway,

Sorry to hear about that... NKR would be a really interesting outlet to work with. I figured it might be a Scholar grant, but I think everyone's nerves are so on edge right now (including mine!) that we were all nervous. What was your project about? Also, there are a ton of other grants for journalists to go abroad; I'm sure you've already looked into them, but if you want to keep pursuing this project there must be other ways of funding/outlets. I have a friend on a journalism grant in Brazil right now.