Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I just received the (A) for Russia - I suppose I'll dance around in limbo for awhile with fingers crossed

I hope you get it! I'm glad there's a chance you can still go, despite all the international drama.

Edited by miri1776

Hi, also got (A) status for ETA to Russia. Anybody have an idea of how long (P)s are given to accept/decline an offer and when alternates can expect to hear back, should their status change to principles candidates?

Hi, also got (A) status for ETA to Russia. Anybody have an idea of how long (P)s are given to accept/decline an offer and when alternates can expect to hear back, should their status change to principles candidates?

I'm hoping that we'll hear back within the month, but, as it says in the email, we could potentially be selected up until the end of the "Fulbright year."  I guess it could be months til finding out 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been rooting for you the whole time. You are an impressive young woman and I know you will do great things. It's amazing that as a senior you decided to apply to the prestigious award. I bet you will definitely get a research grant, if you decide to go to grad school.I hope Fulbright contacts you. It must be tough handling the situation at your workplace. I hope they have enough funding to keep you. If you happen to get a job in Texas, I have friends who need roommates :) I'm hoping, though, that Fulbright will contact you. Hang in there girl.

Thank you for your kind words miri :) I'm actually graduating with my Master of Public Health in August. I will probably take at least a year off from school before contemplating a PhD or DrPH (can't imagine going straight through at this point).

Thank you for your kind words miri :) I'm actually graduating with my Master of Public Health in August. I will probably take at least a year off from school before contemplating a PhD or DrPH (can't imagine going straight through at this point).

lol Sorry, I got confused! But even more awesome that you are getting your masters!

Has anyone heard anything from Argentina for an ETA?! This is insufferable...I feel like South America knows nothing haha

I'm right there with you. This is taking foreverrrrr.

Hey way to go, BeingBecoming! Your story inspires us!

Olioliwoo, I hope we're not putting too much pressure on you because of course we're all just so,so,so rooting for you to turn Aternate--->Accepted!!! I'm sending you lots of positive vibes!

I really do want Mozartgirl53 and  Olioliwoo to end up getting it. Both your projects sounds so cool.

Fellow Eastern Europe Candidates! zExpect a slough of notifications soon, hopefully!!!

I just got notified that I am a preferred candidate ( (P) in subject line From: Jermaine Jones) for a Serbia ETA. I started crying, and I'm still in shock. Email came at 6:23 my time (Mountain), so it appears they are sending things out later and later. All the more time to be gnawing at your nails refreshing your email, right? Anyway, it looks like Serbia, Montenegro, and Macedonia seem to send out at around the same time (so I am sure some of you can confirm this), if this is not the case this year, then it should be soon.

Please let me know if there is any more information cI can provide to help soothe the awful, awful pang of waiting. My fingers are crossed for all who haven't heard yet and my toes are crossed for those who are alternates. I was an alternate for a fellowship last year, and the agony is tremendous; doubly more for something as big and life-path-altering as Fulbright.

*bakes cookies*

*gives*

Hi Monster.Tigerbot,

Thanks for passing all that email. And for detailed information!

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING THE ETA SERBIA! THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!! I'm so excited I doing the Happy Dance over here! It must feel great!

I just found out that I am an alternate for Russia as well. I kind of knew that I would get that, but I'm hopeful for an upgrade in status. Fingers crossed for all us alternates. 

Does anyone have any idea how many alternates there usually are?

To my SSA cohort:

Maliyazi, thanks for making that last brave call to Jermaine and letting us know the decisions are IN!  I too am a bit confused about why notifications seem to be trickling in. I know in my case it's because of the transcript boondoggle, but it seems it's not just me, so... who knows? CONGRATULATIONS on your alternate selection for the ETA Kenya grant! I really, really hope you end up getting to go! You are so passionate about Kenya and about teaching that it would be nuts for the State Department to ultimately give you a NS! You are the person they talk about all the time on the Fulbright website-- you are an ideal ambassador for a program of cultural exchange and friendship building between nations.

Meupatdoes, I'm so sorry. I was really rooting for you! I thought your proposed project for Ghana was brilliant and inspired! Please, please, don't give that up! It may be a Fulbright another year, it may not be a Fulbright at all, but something just as wonderful! What you do is vitally important, not just for Ghana, but for the world. I know we're all going to be saying "we knew meupatdoes way back when..."  Take time to grieve, then get back up on that horse and keep a'going! I expect great things from you.

mbrefo, I don't know you as well as the others, but I'm glad you came out of "lurker status" to let us know about your alternate status, also in Ghana. Thanks! I can't remember the typical number of grants for Ghana, but here's hoping BOTH you and Meupatdoes make it over there. :-)

jrk2115, congratulations on alternate status for South Africa! All I know of South Africa is the airport in Johannesburg, which in my humble opinion is one of the nicest ones in the world! LOL  I do hope you get to go. We need strong ties to South Africa and I hope you can be a part of that. If, ultimately, you don't go, I encourage you to continue your project and find another way. I'm convinced you will get there!

sweater, I'm sorry your project was not funded. :-(  I know you were SSA, but don't know the country. I do know, however, this isn't the end of the road for you, just a new beginning!  Stay strong!

Other SSA folks out there... let us know! We want to be here for each other, to celebrate or console one another.

So far, SSA is a tough one. Really tough. But I think a dedicated group such as ourselves will find a way to build bridges of friendship with Africa. President Obama said recently that he wants our relationship with African nations to "be one of trade, not one of aid." And I really do think our little group here is going to be a part of that, one way or the other. KEEP THE FAITH!

Mozartgirl53-  That's very kind of you!!! At the moment, I'm trying to be hopeful of an upgrade from alternate to principal for Ghana, but its very difficult to do so! Good luck! I hope you end up getting the research grant to Zambia!! 

Edited by mbrefo

Fellow Eastern Europe Candidates! zExpect a slough of notifications soon, hopefully!!!

I just got notified that I am a preferred candidate ( (P) in subject line From: Jermaine Jones) for a Serbia ETA. I started crying, and I'm still in shock. Email came at 6:23 my time (Mountain), so it appears they are sending things out later and later. All the more time to be gnawing at your nails refreshing your email, right? Anyway, it looks like Serbia, Montenegro, and Macedonia seem to send out at around the same time (so I am sure some of you can confirm this), if this is not the case this year, then it should be soon.

Please let me know if there is any more information cI can provide to help soothe the awful, awful pang of waiting. My fingers are crossed for all who haven't heard yet and my toes are crossed for those who are alternates. I was an alternate for a fellowship last year, and the agony is tremendous; doubly more for something as big and life-path-altering as Fulbright.

*bakes cookies*

*gives*

Hi Monster.Tigerbot,

Thanks for passing all that email. And for detailed information!

AND CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING THE ETA SERBIA! THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!! I'm so excited I doing the Happy Dance over here! It must feel great!

I really do want Mozartgirl53 and Olioliwoo to end up getting it. Both your projects sounds so cool.

Hi GnosisExchange, thanks for the well wishes for Olioliwoo and me! I really hope we both end up getting to go too! However, no word on Zambia as of yet today and it's 4:30 on the east coast so I am assuming I won't hear today.

Just when i think all is falling apart, i received an email this morning that i won a grant from my profession's association!!! A small but life changing grant. No matter what happens, at least we know that our applications have merit. Oh gosh i needed some good news! I hope we all survive this.

I hope these moods swings don't give me whiplash :)

miri1776, that is wonderful news! Congratulations! It sounds like a pretty neat grant, giving you time to make contacts and lay the groundwork. Way to go!

Hi Miri,

I can definitely relate even though I have technically heard back. Both my Plan A (Fulbright) and Plan B (keep working at my organization) are in limbo states.

I obviously don't know if Fulbright will even contact me. I also found out yesterday that whether I'll be able to even keep my part-time hours at my organization following graduation is technically up in the air until end of June due to budget and state politics. This is stressing me out because if I don't renew my lease today, I risk not being able to room with my two AMAZING roommates next year and paying a higher rent. Add in finals week and the running around for a major work event tomorrow, it's been interesting to say the least.

I am in the process of trying to come up with a Plan C and making several alternate plans is the only thing I think will help in the long run.

Hi Olioliwoo, I am SOOO rooting for you! I think you're doing the right thing by developing contingency plans, but I hope you don't have to implement them. I'm trying to figure out the course my dissertation will take if I don't get the Fulbright. I'll probably apply for other grants and try to do my fieldwork during a shorter stay, although 9 months would be much better than 3. But, stuff happens. Meanwhile, Olioliwoo, we're in this together!

Has anyone heard anything from Argentina for an ETA?! This is insufferable...I feel like South America knows nothing haha

I'm right there with you. This is taking foreverrrrr.

Good luck with Argentina guys! Just wait a little longer; you've made it so far already.

There is a guy in my school that also applied to Argentina and he is waiting on pins and needles. I really hope he and both of you get it.

Based on last year's forum and the few crumbs of info my FPA gave me...

1) Alternate-accepted changes don't really begin to get going until the 2nd week of May, and 2) they are greatest in number towards the end of the month.

Behhh! The waitttt...

Time: 7:21 EDT

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (P)

Letter:  Dear Ms. Brown,

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Thank you guys soooooooo much! I honestly would not have survived this process without all of you, really. Oliloiwoo, my fingers are crossed so tight for you! I hope the rest of the notifications come quickly now.

Hi all - LONG time lurker here. (P) for ETA to Senegal!

Though you didn't know it, you all were a great support network for me through the wait! A special shout out to my SSP folks: congrats to those who got it, and for those that did not I'm so confident you will make it where you'd like to go! You're all incredible for even having made it this far. 

Hope to meet some of you at orientation / around the world! 

benji17, CONGRATULATIONS! Well done. Senegal sounds like a very interesting country; I'm sure you'll have a very fulfilling year!

Time: 7:21 EDT

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (P)

Letter:  Dear Ms. Brown,

Congratulations!

I am delighted to inform you that you have been selected for a 2014-2015 Fulbright U.S. Student Award to Zambia.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Congratulations! 

will-smith-o.gif