Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I am being pessimistic to lalakey, especially since I saw that the security restriction in my host country was changed after applications were due/submitted for the 2014-2015 cycle, which affected my eligibility because I was interested in "certain parts of urban areas" that aren't safe. Alas, I get that they don't want little dumpy lumpy graduate student getting hurt in a foreign country who was funded to be there by tax payers money, but still. I wish I would have known so I could have changed the wording of my proposal/methodology. Anyways, I am sure a lot of people in this forum will get recommended which makes me happyyyy, so I will continue sending the good vibes (and patience vibe) to all. 

Today was a good distraction thus far.  I taught early.  I baked cookies for class last night to distract myself.  It was successful.  Class went well except for the fact that my kids were all so nervous about the shootings at Purdue.  My Dad was freaking out because they're back home in Indiana and it's hitting them hard. They worry about me.  The BF was worried about me teaching.  I'm okay.  It reminds me of the Tech shootings when I was a freshmen.  But it's hard seeing my students so worked up.  One even asked me if teaching made me nervous right now.  We'll be discussing gun politics and carry on campus in a few weeks.  I hope the discussion proves fruitful and thoughtful.

It makes me realize that even though this stuff sucks, I've got bigger fish to fry.  But seriously, I wish they would let us find out!

Today was a good distraction thus far.  I taught early.  I baked cookies for class last night to distract myself.  It was successful.  Class went well except for the fact that my kids were all so nervous about the shootings at Purdue.  My Dad was freaking out because they're back home in Indiana and it's hitting them hard. They worry about me.  The BF was worried about me teaching.  I'm okay.  It reminds me of the Tech shootings when I was a freshmen.  But it's hard seeing my students so worked up.  One even asked me if teaching made me nervous right now.  We'll be discussing gun politics and carry on campus in a few weeks.  I hope the discussion proves fruitful and thoughtful.

It makes me realize that even though this stuff sucks, I've got bigger fish to fry.  But seriously, I wish they would let us find out!

College TA? Yeah, I completely understand. It's really disheartening, especially how some Purdue profs reacted to the initial alerts (i.e., continued lecturing, did not take any precautions to keep the students safe by locking doors, closing windows, or turning off lights). I can just feel myself getting upset as I type this. The shooting took place 5 blocks from my old apartment (which I left last summer)

Yes.  Profs did nothing.  My Dad sent me a link to a student paper article.  I've experienced erratic (unmedicated, self medicated) student reactions in an exam before.  The police were called.  I was pushed down and the prof almost was.  When the student initially started to attack us, I was sure we were all about to die.  I just reacted by trying to restrain the student as quickly as possible.  The prof ended up having to take the student on because I got pushed down.  He restrained them until the police made it and then the rest of us calmed down the class.  Today, I'm an instructor (but still just as much of a target).  Indiana didn't have any official policies about lockdowns (like what you should do other than stay there) which is crazy.  Purdue apparently had the same issue.  My current uni is much, much better about instructions but they could still do a ton more.  It's eerie for me and I've only been on that campus a couple of times.

I didn't stay at Indiana because my discipline frowns on "academic incest", so they wouldn't have had me.  I miss B-town a lot these days.  I love my current university and my department.  I chose that all right.  However, the town is too conservative, too isolated and feels much smaller despite being about the same size as Bloomington.  I took a summer abroad after year 2 because I knew I would burn out if I stayed here another summer.  It's been a constant battle for me.  I deal with it but it's less than ideal.  I just don't deal well long-term outside of a metro area or without things to do.  As boring as I think Indy is, it's still better than anything within an hour of here (ie nothing but farm land!).

I get wanderlust easily, though!  Clearly!

Hey alls!

I just went through and fixed some formatting issues on the spreadsheet. Overall people are doing a really great job of keeping it clean and up to date. I suspect not everyone loves spreadsheets! 

Keep adding information!

FYI: If you are not sure of the input choices, hover over the category header and they will pop up. The colors should autofill.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing#gid=1

Edited by amirah

Hey alls!

I just went through and fixed some formatting issues on the spreadsheet. Overall people are doing a really great job of keeping it clean and up to date. I suspect not everyone loves spreadsheets! 

Keep adding information!

FYI: If you are not sure of the input choices, hover over the category header and they will pop up. The colors should autofill.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing#gid=1

I am a little OCD and keep re-alphabatizing countries sometimes, so it can look *perfect*, heh. 

I am a little OCD and keep re-alphabatizing countries sometimes, so it can look *perfect*, heh. 

:-). You can just sort the data on countries. Just be sure it resorts with all related data held together. I do that a lot too.

I think we will hear this Friday. The logic seems to be second to the last Friday of January, which could explain why we didn't hear back from them last week. Speculating of course, but fingers crossed.

I think we will hear this Friday. The logic seems to be second to the last Friday of January, which could explain why we didn't hear back from them last week. Speculating of course, but fingers crossed.

To be fair it seems equally likely it might be a Thursday, too. I second whoever said earlier it will be on one of the following dates: 23rd, 24th, 30th, or 31st. 

Should we start taking bets on which day?

I broke down and dropped by to see if the FPA was in on my way back across campus with a horde of books from the library.  I climbed a bunch of stairs to find out he was in a meeting.  Blargh.  Not that it would have mattered.

Coming out of the shadows....

I applied for a Fulbright Graduate Study Grant (PhD level) in Mexico; I haven't seen any others here applying for this particular grant. There are only 3 spots each year and the Fulbright advisor for the region says each year slots go unfilled! Anyway, I'm dying to hear about the first round results just like everyone else... although in my case, the Fulbright grant is contingent on getting into a doctoral program in Mexico, so that's obviously the bigger piece.

Anyway, I emailed my FPA last Thursday and she informed me that she is no longer the FPA for my university, but that in past years, she would receive the results for the university's applicants a few days before the notifications went out. I emailed the new FPA who told me she hasn't heard anything other than the Jan 31st deadline, but she would let me know when/if she did hear otherwise. FWIW

Coming out of the shadows....

I applied for a Fulbright Graduate Study Grant (PhD level) in Mexico; I haven't seen any others here applying for this particular grant. There are only 3 spots each year and the Fulbright advisor for the region says each year slots go unfilled! Anyway, I'm dying to hear about the first round results just like everyone else... although in my case, the Fulbright grant is contingent on getting into a doctoral program in Mexico, so that's obviously the bigger piece.

Anyway, I emailed my FPA last Thursday and she informed me that she is no longer the FPA for my university, but that in past years, she would receive the results for the university's applicants a few days before the notifications went out. I emailed the new FPA who told me she hasn't heard anything other than the Jan 31st deadline, but she would let me know when/if she did hear otherwise. FWIW

I went back to the thread from last year and found this to be the case, as well. FPA's knew on Wednesday that applicants would hear back by the end of the day that Friday. I wonder if that means we won't hear until next week since all our FPA's are still in the dark.  :(

I went back to the thread from last year and found this to be the case, as well. FPA's knew on Wednesday that applicants would hear back by the end of the day that Friday. I wonder if that means we won't hear until next week since all our FPA's are still in the dark.  :(

What about other years? My FPA does not seem to ever get the "heads up" on notifications, so don't think it would be worth me emailing her again.

I keep waiting for someone else to post something so that I can pretend I'm gleaning any kind of insight into the process. And - silly as it sounds - part of me has the absurd fear that we will just never be notified!

I saw one of the committee members from my Fulbright interview today. She was very surprised that we haven't heard anything back and from her experience, they're usually notified after applicants. It is possible that the FPA finds out first, and then lets the other committee members know the news (after students are notified). I will still feel pretty bummed out if we don't hear by Friday.

So in talking about my application with a coworker, I've discovered that this thread exists. I just thought I'd tell you all that, for some reason, I did get an email from Fulbright. They said I'd hear about my application status this month (I'm applying for an ETA to Norway). So, pretty much what you've been hearing from advisers, but this is coming from Fulbright. And also, receiving that email kind of sucked because it was a moment of panic/anticipation and then extreme anti-climaticness. Maybe silence would have been better. :P

So in talking about my application with a coworker, I've discovered that this thread exists. I just thought I'd tell you all that, for some reason, I did get an email from Fulbright. They said I'd hear about my application status this month (I'm applying for an ETA to Norway). So, pretty much what you've been hearing from advisers, but this is coming from Fulbright. And also, receiving that email kind of sucked because it was a moment of panic/anticipation and then extreme anti-climaticness. Maybe silence would have been better. :P

It didn't happen to be a survey did it? The rage that happened on this thread at that email...it was epic.