Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I didn't get recommended either. I had at least one affiliation letter uploaded (maybe two, if my FPA added it) and another one that came after the deadline.. Oh, well. I learned a lot, and made great connections. I also got some good news today, so it doesn't matter QUITE as much. 

It's a miracle! Recommended, full-research, maritime archaeology, Sweden.

To those who weren't recommended, my heart goes out to you...each and every one of you on this forum have made these last days bearable....best of luck in your endeavors, never, EVER give up!

Has anyone else realized the names--locations--affiliations--etc. are not matching up in the google docs spread sheet? I see the list ordered by country (which makes sense), but the affiliations do not line up with the appropriate countries when I look at the line numbers etc.

Not recommended for an ETA, unfortunately. On to the next project and plan I have for next year!! Congrats to all who were recommended, and thank you all for keeping me partially sane throughout the past month! Excuse me while I go munch on some ginger ice cream while I lesson plan for tomorrow. Good luck to those moving forward!

Recommended as an ETA in Brazil! Bittersweet. Wishing more of my fellow waiters on this thread had been recommended. You guys are all awesome. I applied for the Pickering Fellowship last year and really got my hopes up, only to get cut after the first round. It sucked. There are many more opportunities. 

Go out into the world and kick some ass! We've all got it in us.

Soooo... who else is planning to reapply? ;) I'm contacting my FPA tomorrow to ask if he's willing to work with me on my essays. As in like, this week. I'm also going to ask my host institute if they'd be willing to sponsor me again. And uh... (application opens Feb. 1st!).

Honestly, the application process was pretty hectic and rushed this time around because I needed to complete my summer research before I could figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So having more time will mean more polished essays, better preparation for the campus interview, and more time to work on my language skills.

Fellow refusés, what are your backup plans? I'm graduating with a BA in May, taking a year off to work on my portfolio, and applying to grad school/Fulbright, as well as short-term Chinese language programs like Middlebury.

Edited by Oliebollen

i got recommended for the European Union research grant! This is my 3rd year in a row applying and I send hope to all those who weren't recommended to don't give up on Fulbright if you really want it. Best of luck to everyone whose recommended and full encouragement to reapply for those who didn't!

Got recommended for student research grant to France! It hasn't quite sunk in.

To all my forum buddies who were not recommended I send big internet hugs! You guys are amazingly talented, intelligent, and ambitious and I know that there are many other amazing opportunities waiting for you (possibly even reapplying?).

Congrats to everyone who was recommended. Look forward to be waiting with you for round 2.

Yeah congrats.  To those youngins who still have time, apply again!  Lots of people have told me that. Unfortunately this time next year I will hopefully have an academic job waiting for me or at least possibilities and be set to graduate in a few months.

Finally after lurking since September, I've made an account to ask: OH MY GOD IS THERE ANYONE WHO HASN'T HEARD YET?!?!??!!?!?!? [i would like to put blinking stars and hot pink and puce asterisks around this, but caps lock may be enough.]

I hadn't gotten an email yet this afternoon when I got home from work, so checked this forum to see if folks had started to hear back yet and discovered that nearly everyone had gotten their emails yesterday! Yesterday! Nothing in my spam folder, nothing anywhere else. It took me a few minutes to track down the IIE number in San Francisco (where I live, and also the only place with an IIE office where business hours hadn't already ended!), and by the time I spoke with the receptionist she said the person I was trying to reach (whose name I've conveniently forgotten) was out of the office for the day. So of course I'm having a million terrible fantasies: my application didn't go through (it did), or was disqualified (surely they would've notified me, even automately, if it was), etc, etc. Anyone else still waiting to hear back?

For what it's worth, I'm an at-large research applicant to Hong Kong. It seems like the spreadsheet is only sparsely updated, and the other HK person either hasn't heard or (more likely?) is celebrating in some way that doesn't involve updating spreadsheets..

Edited by fox eating an ear of corn

Finally after lurking since September, I've made an account to ask: OH MY GOD IS THERE ANYONE WHO HASN'T HEARD YET?!?!??!!?!?!? [i would like to put blinking stars and hot pink and puce asterisks around this, but caps lock may be enough.]

I hadn't gotten an email yet this afternoon when I got home from work, so checked this forum to see if folks had started to hear back yet and discovered that nearly everyone had gotten their emails yesterday! Yesterday! Nothing in my spam folder, nothing anywhere else. It took me a few minutes to track down the IIE number in San Francisco, and by the time I spoke with the receptionist she said the person I was trying to reach (whose name I've conveniently forgotten) was out of the office for the day. So of course I'm having a million terrible fantasies: my application didn't go through (it did), or was disqualified (surely they would've notified me, even automately, if it was), etc, etc. Anyone else still waiting to hear back?

For what it's worth, I'm an at-large research applicant to Hong Kong. It seems like the spreadsheet is only sparsely updated, and the other HK person either hasn't heard or (more likely?) is celebrating in some way that doesn't involve updating spreadsheets..

That's horrifying. I'm so sorry! Hopefully you will get a straight answer first thing tomorrow.

I think that's just the Scholar program. The Student program (I believe) starts May 1. I will be applying for the first time and can't wait to be a part of that forum! :)

Congrats to all who've moved on and I look forward to commiserating with those of you who will be reapplying. :D

I think that's just the Scholar program. The Student program (I believe) starts May 1. I will be applying for the first time and can't wait to be a part of that forum! :)

Congrats to all who've moved on and I look forward to commiserating with those of you who will be reapplying. :D

Whoops, you're right. See you there!

I hadn't gotten an email yet this afternoon when I got home from work, so checked this forum to see if folks had started to hear back yet and discovered that nearly everyone had gotten their emails yesterday! Yesterday! Nothing in my spam folder, nothing anywhere else. It took me a few minutes to track down the IIE number in San Francisco (where I live, and also the only place with an IIE office where business hours hadn't already ended!), and by the time I spoke with the receptionist she said the person I was trying to reach (whose name I've conveniently forgotten) was out of the office for the day. So of course I'm having a million terrible fantasies: my application didn't go through (it did), or was disqualified (surely they would've notified me, even automately, if it was), etc, etc. Anyone else still waiting to hear back?

It sucks that you haven't heard, yet. If you look at the spreadsheet, you'll see that people were officially notified by email today. I hope that you hear soon--waiting just sucks.

Soooo... who else is planning to reapply? ;) I'm contacting my FPA tomorrow to ask if he's willing to work with me on my essays. As in like, this week. I'm also going to ask my host institute if they'd be willing to sponsor me again. And uh... (application opens Feb. 1st!).

Honestly, the application process was pretty hectic and rushed this time around because I needed to complete my summer research before I could figure out exactly what I wanted to do. So having more time will mean more polished essays, better preparation for the campus interview, and more time to work on my language skills.

Fellow refusés, what are your backup plans? I'm graduating with a BA in May, taking a year off to work on my portfolio, and applying to grad school/Fulbright, as well as short-term Chinese language programs like Middlebury.

I plan to also meet with my FPA, she was very supportive during the whole process and we probably need to get together to tweak some of the words I used, especially after the changes in the security restrictions in my host country. I plan to continue doing my research locally, and apply to local travelling grants.

As for the next year, I plan to finish my pilot studying for my thesis/dissertation projects, and reapply to Fulbright. I am taking a pity vacation to Cancun with my brother in late May and next May I will be marrying my SO in Spain. So it won't be such a shabby wait for the next application round. 

I did give that paper. My diss./potential Fulbright research is on a similar topic coming out of that research.

Paris. and you?

I'll be based in Berlin, but affiliated with Leipzig. My research will end up taking me to most major German cities. I'm Ben, by the way. I was on the program committee at Stony Brook and we spoke briefly after your presentation. Good luck and stay in touch.