Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

@overworkedta I also enjoy your blog. I did a google search last night and it popped up.

Congrats to those who moved forward. For my fellow attorneys who were not recommended and want to travel, consider American Samoa. They are two year paid contracts at the AG office where you can create the law and would be in court daily, you are provided provided housing, 45-50k a year, and a stipend to ship your goods from the US. Plus dress code is casual. They are always looking to hire. They do skype interviews and its a good way to get out of the country!

I've just sent in my transcript w/ tracking. What about you guys? I'm just so excited!

I sent mine via my registrar. Should get there within 7 to 10 days. I was thinking of doing the tracking, but I wanted it to come straight from my school. Good luck to you!

So who makes the decision now, the committee in the country?? I hope they like me... I like THEM!

There are two committees. The host country committee and then one here that is higher up. You need to be recommended by both to succeed in getting a grant. Sometimes, the host country will accept your application but the US one won't. 

@BurstingAtTheSeams

CONGRATULATIONS!! Are you an ETA-HAEF applicant too? By looking at google docs of past cycles, it looks like applicants to Greece are going to be notified by the end of March. We're one step closer to the Parthenon!

I think I accidentally deleted someone's google doc entry who's applying to Greece--SO SORRY about that!! Whoever you are (I think the name on there was Linda?), I hope you re-enter your info.

Can someone give instructions on how to add to google docs? Thanks for your patience.

*Hi BurstingAtTheSeams! Thank you and congratualtions to you too!!!
I was actually recommended for the Full Research Program- to conduct research in Athens in affiliation with the Univ of Athens.
I too am nervous to enter my info in case I mess up the spreadsheet, I was going to last night!
We are one step closer to both being potentially by the beautiful Parthenon, I really hope we both are recommended in the final review. How awesome would it be to meet a fellow forum member in Greece! B)

-Also, so the understanding is in the final review the committee in D.C. has the last say, to clarify?

Best of Luck to you and everyone else in all of their endeavors Fulbright or not!

Edited by Z4Zebra

Anybody know how they are going to tell their affiliation letter writers they were rejected? I made some great ties and actually would have liked to have gone to a couple of the schools. However, I have been accepted to my top choice here in the U.S. and I likely cannot afford to go to these schools without the Fulbright. 

@overworkedta I agree with your sentiments. I  feel a mixture of emotions to see how many people who were involved in the process were as upset or even more, when they find out I didn't go to the next round. It makes me feel happy that people are so invested in my future and success, as well as my well-being/confidence. 

Anybody know how they are going to tell their affiliation letter writers they were rejected? I made some great ties and actually would have liked to have gone to a couple of the schools. However, I have been accepted to my top choice here in the U.S. and I likely cannot afford to go to these schools without the Fulbright. 

I just sent an e-mail to the Research Director and explained to him what happened. They were really sad :( but I assured them that I would keep in touch in the future for other possibilities of going or for the next Fulbright cycle. As a caveat, mine was only a temporary research project in my host country, I am sure others might have stronger ties due to the possibility of doing their whole graduate work in their country of choice. 

Hey guys, so this is completely Fulbright unrelated, but I thought I might just ask. I'm looking to re-up the coverage on my mac and I"m debating between Best Buy's geek squad coverage and applecare. I would normally do apple care bc it is international on the off chance I get the Fulbright, but because it doesn't cover drops (which despite me being so careful with I know I'm likely to do), I'm curious about geek squad. It is also 169 for GS and 249 for AC, but GS is only for 1 yr and AC for 2yrs. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with this. 

There are two committees. The host country committee and then one here that is higher up. You need to be recommended by both to succeed in getting a grant. Sometimes, the host country will accept your application but the US one won't. 

I've been thinking all day about all my fellow applicants who were unable to move forward in the Fulbright process. All of you seem like a very intelligent and ambitious group of people, so don't think of it as a missed opportunity but applaud yourself for having the guts to apply in the first place! You seriously are going to kick some major butt. 

Question: what specifically is the host country committee? Is it the US embassy in our respective host countries or a separate entity? Anybody know? 

Recommended for ETA in Vietnam! So excited and and am happy to have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks. Has anyone else on here applied to Vietnam? How about from last year, and also might remember about the time that they let you know the final answer?

Hey Kennah10290, I was awarded an ETA in Vietnam for 2011-2012 and I received notification (a letter at that time) in early or mid-April. I ended up turning down the ETA for another fellowship, but it seems like Vietnam has a wonderful program. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and everyone who's moving on! 

Hypothetically, if you were offered a) a Fulbright ETA to go to a country that you've dreamed about going to, and renewable up to three years

and b ) An acceptance at your first-choice masters program with funding (one year), but the admission can be deferred while the funding is not guaranteed.

Where would you go? 

Edit: Mojodreams, sorry to hear that! 

I'd take the Fulbright, but that's just me. It'd only boost your qualifications, so I can't imagine they'd defund you. But that's just me. 

Any way you could find out how likely it is for them to take your funding away?

Worst case scenario, apply to another school if they take your funding away. Don't GO there, but use their funding to prove to your 1st choice that they aren't your only option, and need to resurrect that competitive offer. 

You don't want to have a shoulda coulda woulda scenario. Keep focusing on making yourself better while you're on your ETA, and there's no way they wont give funding when you return, because you'll be the bomb. They'll be lucky to have you.

@BurstingAtTheSeams

CONGRATULATIONS!! Are you an ETA-HAEF applicant too? By looking at google docs of past cycles, it looks like applicants to Greece are going to be notified by the end of March. We're one step closer to the Parthenon!

I think I accidentally deleted someone's google doc entry who's applying to Greece--SO SORRY about that!! Whoever you are (I think the name on there was Linda?), I hope you re-enter your info.

Can someone give instructions on how to add to google docs? Thanks for your patience.

*Hi BurstingAtTheSeams! Thank you and congratualtions to you too!!!

I was actually recommended for the Full Research Program- to conduct research in Athens in affiliation with the Univ of Athens.

I too am nervous to enter my info in case I mess up the spreadsheet, I was going to last night!

We are one step closer to both being potentially by the beautiful Parthenon, I really hope we both are recommended in the final review. How awesome would it be to meet a fellow forum member in Greece! B)

-Also, so the understanding is in the final review the committee in D.C. has the last say, to clarify?

Best of Luck to you and everyone else in all of their endeavors Fulbright or not!

Hey there Z4Zebra, Where did you find the Google doc of past cycles? I'm not seeing it. Thanks for your help!

I've been thinking all day about all my fellow applicants who were unable to move forward in the Fulbright process. All of you seem like a very intelligent and ambitious group of people, so don't think of it as a missed opportunity but applaud yourself for having the guts to apply in the first place! You seriously are going to kick some major butt. 

Question: what specifically is the host country committee? Is it the US embassy in our respective host countries or a separate entity? Anybody know? 

Depends on the country. A lot of country's will have their very own Fulbright Commission (Germany, Benelux countries, etc.). I believe - though I may be wrong - that it would otherwise be the Embassy or some other State Dept. affiliated group.

Also, I'm sure most of you know about this already, but for those who don't - you can look at official numbers of applications vs. awards, including projections.

For those who have been recommended AND have an FPA in the loop - any way to find out our chances? I know we can look at the stats page for prior years, and I know they usually send x1.5-2 of the number of grants available to the home country, BUT does anyone ever find out more details than that before the results come out? 

Depends on the country. A lot of country's will have their very own Fulbright Commission (Germany, Benelux countries, etc.). I believe - though I may be wrong - that it would otherwise be the Embassy or some other State Dept. affiliated group.

Also, I'm sure most of you know about this already, but for those who don't - you can look at official numbers of applications vs. awards, including projections.

If only that link helped with partnership awards!!

quick question for fellow Germany ETA applicants: does anyone know what the next step of the application will be?

from reading this forum and earlier years, I think part 2 of the application will just be ranking our Bundesländer preferences, without translating our essays or writing anything new in German. but it seems that this was only changed last year. can anyone confirm this? i'm the first person from my school to apply to Germany ETA in a few years and my FPA has no idea. 

thanks for your help!

quick question for fellow Germany ETA applicants: does anyone know what the next step of the application will be?

from reading this forum and earlier years, I think part 2 of the application will just be ranking our Bundesländer preferences, without translating our essays or writing anything new in German. but it seems that this was only changed last year. can anyone confirm this? i'm the first person from my school to apply to Germany ETA in a few years and my FPA has no idea. 

thanks for your help!

Current Germany ETA here -- yes, based on last year, the only next step for you is to rank you preferred Bundeslaender -- no translating or extra application materials need to be submitted. They will send you an e-mail regarding the ranking. I doubt they would go back to the old way of doing it; that just seems unnecessary and inefficient.

Hey guys, so this is completely Fulbright unrelated, but I thought I might just ask. I'm looking to re-up the coverage on my mac and I"m debating between Best Buy's geek squad coverage and applecare. I would normally do apple care bc it is international on the off chance I get the Fulbright, but because it doesn't cover drops (which despite me being so careful with I know I'm likely to do), I'm curious about geek squad. It is also 169 for GS and 249 for AC, but GS is only for 1 yr and AC for 2yrs. I'm just curious if anyone has had experience with this.

Bestbuy's warranty has always been a scam for people I know that buy it and CS friends of mine say the techs are a joke anyhow so I never purchase support from them. I would stick with apple care.

Bestbuy's warranty has always been a scam for people I know that buy it and CS friends of mine say the techs are a joke anyhow so I never purchase support from them. I would stick with apple care.

Thank you! I was worried I would drop it, but I did that once and apple still fixed it so :) Applecare it is.