Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

"It is understood and agreed that, if conditions beyond the control of the United States Department of 
State prevent or unduly hamper the timely and adequate implementation of the grant, the granteemay be reassigned to another country agreed to by the grantee and the grant issuing organization. 
Financial terms will be adjusted in accordance with the schedule in the country to which the grantee is 
reassigned. Factors affecting reassignment include timely request, qualifications, time remaining in 
grant, and timeliness of proposed host country clearance process. In the event such a reassignment 
is not satisfactorily arranged, the grantee, if abroad, will be provided not to exceed the equivalent of 
one month's grant benefits beyond the date of departure from the host country. If the grantee has not 
departed from the United States and if no mutually acceptable assignment can be arranged all rights 
and obligations shall cease ." (pg. 5, #7)

So helpful. I figured that was the case, but its good to see an actual document!

Hi there- I'm a recommended applicant to Australia as well - good luck on your interview! 

Yay! I'm not doing an interview...are you? It's all very confusing. 'Some' of the candidates are doing them? Are you 'at large' or affiliated with a University? No news=good news? I look at it this way-if I don't get it this year, I'll do it next year. But I'm trying to be optimistic. Good luck to you! 

Yay! I'm not doing an interview...are you? It's all very confusing. 'Some' of the candidates are doing them? Are you 'at large' or affiliated with a University? No news=good news? I look at it this way-if I don't get it this year, I'll do it next year. But I'm trying to be optimistic. Good luck to you! 

Candidates for the UK have to do them. If you are not applying to the UK, you generally don't have one. It is country specific. 

I applied to Australia as a full research grant associated with a university. Had my interview today and the committee said that Australia should hear in approximately 3 weeks. 

Oh, that's great! Hope you hear good news! Fingers crossed for the lot of us;) 

Hello all, I applied for an India ETA and am on to the next round. Anyone know if India conducts interviews for its applicants? Thanks a bunch and best of luck to you all

I'm currently in India on the Fulbright-Nehru fellowship, but for the research one not ETA. We did not have an interview. Not positive about the ETA people though.

I know what you mean about life being up in the air. If I get the fulbright, I have to move myself, my husband, and two kids to the uk. If I don't, I have to move them across the country for my phd program. While it's a move either way, it would be a very different kind and I feel like I can't make any decisions.

Hello! Finally joined the group after a few weeks of lurking. I was recommended for a journalism research grant to Norway. I decided to join after I saw someone else wrote on the spreadsheet that they, too, were recommended for a similar project.

Hi everyone,

I hope you all are having a wonderful Valentine's day! 

I wanted to post a comment asking if there was anyone who has been recommended for study in the UK that has not yet received notification of an interview date and time. I've heard that the UK requires interviews, and it seems this is the case in previous Fulbright award years. On the spreadsheet, recommended candidates are interviewed at the end of this month. I can't help but feel pretty anxious. I've heard nothing...nothing at all. In my mind, this is not a good sign. I'm thinking this means my application is not being further considered.

Does anyone have any insight? I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you all in advance  :)

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post a comment asking if there was anyone who has been recommended for study in the UK that has not yet received notification of an interview date and time. I've heard that the UK requires interviews, and it seems this is the case in previous Fulbright award years. On the spreadsheet, recommended candidates are interviewed at the end of this month. I can't help but feel pretty anxious. I've heard nothing...nothing at all. In my mind, this is not a good sign. I'm thinking this means my application is not being further considered.

Hi! I too am a UK finalist. Me and the two others on this thread both heard Tuesday/Wednesday.

I've heard a few things about these interviews. The first was that everyone gets one, the second was that only those who more information is needed have interviews, and the third (from the US-UK website but for the life of me I cannot find it now) was that only those further short listed get an interview. If you are concerned, perhaps contact the UK contact for Fulbright and ask? Or ask your school if you applied through them.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all in advance :)

I am a UK finalist and I received my interview invite on Wednesday the 12th of Feb. I am applying for a post grad partnership. What grant are you applying for? If it is a partnership it could be that they only do interviews for certain universities. There were some universities on the list last year that only got numbers of applicants in the single digits. It could be that they don't need to interview for those. Also, check with them to make sure they have the right email address on file. I don't want to give you false hope, just suggestions but really we know as much as you do.

Hi everyone,

Hey charmaine1,

You and I are in the same boat. I'm a UK applicant (partnership award) who was recommended and I, too, have yet to receive an interview invite. I feel your anxiety!! I've done some searching online and I've talked with my FPA to figure out if I'm still being considered or if I'm out of the running, and I've gotten some mixed info. As Horb said, UK and US Fulbright websites seem pretty clear that if you don't get an invite, you're not being considered. I'm not sure that that's entirely the case. My FPA contacted some of her FPA "listserv friends" to see if other FPAs have had UK applicants with a similar experience. Their responses suggest that you and I are definitely not alone in being invite-less and that not all invites may be sent out at the same time. Additionally, some of them seem to think some candidates who are being seriously considered aren't interviewed at all.

Also, I came across a message posted in a similar Fulbright forum a couple years back written by a UK applicant who was recommended but didn't get an interview invite. The applicant contacted the International Advisor to find out if his/her application was still under consideration. The applicant posted the International Advisor's response: ""Not to worry... It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

So, basically, there's really no way to know anything just yet. Cheers to hanging in there and waiting it out!

Ya like I said it depends. My grant last year only had a few people apply but some grants just always interview. I went off the us-uk site because I figured that was the most accurate for the majority. But honestly, who knows?

Hi, been lurking on here for a while throughout the application process and was recommended for ETA to Malaysia - just wondering if anyone knew when they usually post the statistics for the current year on the Fulbright website? (i.e. the ones that show how many people applied for each country this year)

Hi everyone,

Thank you all in advance :)

I am in the exact same boat. I've been recommended for one of the partnership universities for graduate study, but have had no word at all. I've gotten varying responses as well on whether or not we will definitely be interviewed. Hopefully we will all hear something soon.

Edited by Delayedscholar

I'm pretty much freaking out over my interview. Nervous, excited, worry somehow I'll drop the call. I wish it was in person. You can't really lose cellphone service or anything like that. I'm also still waiting to hear back about my application to the school, which is nerve-wracking as well. Good luck to everyone!

I am a UK finalist and I received my interview invite on Wednesday the 12th of Feb. I am applying for a post grad partnership. What grant are you applying for? If it is a partnership it could be that they only do interviews for certain universities. There were some universities on the list last year that only got numbers of applicants in the single digits. It could be that they don't need to interview for those. Also, check with them to make sure they have the right email address on file. I don't want to give you false hope, just suggestions but really we know as much as you do.

Hi NuclearFlea! Thank you for the response. I'm applying for a full research grant to Lancaster University. Based on the list Fulbright compiled, it seems only one applicant applied there last year. It would be wonderful to think I had a better chance of getting the award based on this. I'm not too sure if this is the case for research rewards though...sadly. 

Congrats on the interview!! That's awesome to hear. 

Hey charmaine1,

You and I are in the same boat. I'm a UK applicant (partnership award) who was recommended and I, too, have yet to receive an interview invite. I feel your anxiety!! I've done some searching online and I've talked with my FPA to figure out if I'm still being considered or if I'm out of the running, and I've gotten some mixed info. As Horb said, UK and US Fulbright websites seem pretty clear that if you don't get an invite, you're not being considered. I'm not sure that that's entirely the case. My FPA contacted some of her FPA "listserv friends" to see if other FPAs have had UK applicants with a similar experience. Their responses suggest that you and I are definitely not alone in being invite-less and that not all invites may be sent out at the same time. Additionally, some of them seem to think some candidates who are being seriously considered aren't interviewed at all.

Also, I came across a message posted in a similar Fulbright forum a couple years back written by a UK applicant who was recommended but didn't get an interview invite. The applicant contacted the International Advisor to find out if his/her application was still under consideration. The applicant posted the International Advisor's response: ""Not to worry... It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

So, basically, there's really no way to know anything just yet. Cheers to hanging in there and waiting it out!

Hi visanth! Thank you for the response. Not receiving notification of an interview is definitely anxiety inducing...I think of the interview as a way for the committee to connect with their favorite applicants on a more personal level. I did a bit of research and found out that the interview is definitely a must for Fulbright Scholar applicants; only those who have been shortlisted will be interviewed. For partnership and research/study grants, it seems a bit more ambiguous. My FPA confirmed what you mentioned: some candidates that receive the grant are never interviewed at all. I guess it's really just up in there air right now.  

Good luck on your application. I hope you hear positive news soon!  

I am in the exact same boat. I've been recommended for one of the partnership universities for graduate study, but have had no word at all. I've gotten varying responses as well on whether or not we will definitely be interviewed. Hopefully we will all hear something soon.

Hi Delayedscholar! Thank you for the reply. Definitely a lot of mixed responses as to whether not being interviewed is a negative. I hope we here something soon as well. This waiting feels like torture....

Best wishes on your application!

I'm pretty much freaking out over my interview. Nervous, excited, worry somehow I'll drop the call. I wish it was in person. You can't really lose cellphone service or anything like that. I'm also still waiting to hear back about my application to the school, which is nerve-wracking as well. Good luck to everyone!

Hi Horb! You're going to be terrific! I remember when I applied for the Fulbright UK summer institute (and surprisingly made it to the finalist round), I answered all the questions I felt would be asked ahead of time on a sheet of paper. Let's just say a few of their questions were not on my list. Because I relied so much on my "cheat sheet" (I practically read from it), I was completely caught of guard. I know... I know, this should be a common sense "don't do this in your interview." But I did it, unfortunately. I was panicking so much that one of the interviewers told me I could just come back to the question later... Not good. The interview went so poorly that I received an email about an hour later saying I wouldn't be receiving the grant. 

Long story not so short, I'm sure you've got my interview skills beat! I agree though that in-person interviews are a lot less terrifying. It's nice to be able to sit in front of an actual person and talk. 

Part of me is hoping that my not receiving notification of an interview means I'm still in the running but can skip relieving this horrific interview....

Hi Horb! You're going to be terrific! I remember when I applied for the Fulbright UK summer institute (and surprisingly made it to the finalist round), I answered all the questions I felt would be asked ahead of time on a sheet of paper. Let's just say a few of their questions were not on my list. Because I relied so much on my "cheat sheet" (I practically read from it), I was completely caught of guard. I know... I know, this should be a common sense "don't do this in your interview." But I did it, unfortunately. I was panicking so much that one of the interviewers told me I could just come back to the question later... Not good. The interview went so poorly that I received an email about an hour later saying I wouldn't be receiving the grant. 

Long story not so short, I'm sure you've got my interview skills beat! I agree though that in-person interviews are a lot less terrifying. It's nice to be able to sit in front of an actual person and talk. 

Part of me is hoping that my not receiving notification of an interview means I'm still in the running but can skip relieving this horrific interview....

I'm just worried about the call dropping, you know? Or someone calling me and I pick up thinking it is them and then they call and somehow it is busy and what not. Gah. Nervousness.