MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Do you guys think there is any difference between MPH's with a stream vs a general one? In terms of getting a decent job?

I think it all depends on what you are interested in.  Personally, I like the idea of going general because it opens up more job opportunities.  However, if you are interested in something like epidemiology research, obviously going into a stream is better.  But keep in mind that a major factor in getting a decent job is the job market.  It also depends if you are currently employed in the field and whether or not you are interested in advancing in what you are doing.  

Guelph MPH program has very close ties to the federal PHAC and CFIA as well as other international organizations (WHO), with several adjunct faculty that work at Guelph and in PHAC. Its major focus is on zoonotic risks and food safety, since it is run through the Ontario Veterinary College. The University of Guelph also has the Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses (CPHAZ). 

For the practicum position in the summer many top-tiered public health agencies will recruit Guelph Grads and you are guaranteed a placement. Some placements make $20/hour (40 h weeks), but some positions are unpaid (although Guelph will usually find you some money through CIHR grants). 

97% of Guelph MPH grads find a job in their field in 6 months post-graduation. There are many Guelph grads working for PHAC, CFIA, WHO, and many other excellent organizations. 

However, Guelph only has about 20 positions open and there are over 300 applicants which makes it extremely competitive.

Grades do not count for a whole lot when applying to Guelph MPH, they are looking for experience and strong aspirations for working in public health. There are lots of volunteer opportunities for students to do in the public health field (ie. health promotion). 

Good luck to everyone applying to MPH.

Edited by gryphony

I think it all depends on what you are interested in.  Personally, I like the idea of going general because it opens up more job opportunities.  However, if you are interested in something like epidemiology research, obviously going into a stream is better.  But keep in mind that a major factor in getting a decent job is the job market.  It also depends if you are currently employed in the field and whether or not you are interested in advancing in what you are doing.  

Good to know, Most of the programs I applied to are general.

Guelph MPH program has very close ties to the federal PHAC and CFIA as well as other international organizations (WHO), with several adjunct faculty that work at Guelph and in PHAC. Its major focus is on zoonotic risks and food safety, since it is run through the Ontario Veterinary College. The University of Guelph also has the Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses (CPHAZ). 

For the practicum position in the summer many top-tiered public health agencies will recruit Guelph Grads and you are guaranteed a placement. Some placements make $20/hour (40 h weeks), but some positions are unpaid (although Guelph will usually find you some money through CIHR grants). 

97% of Guelph MPH grads find a job in their field in 6 months post-graduation. There are many Guelph grads working for PHAC, CFIA, WHO, and many other excellent organizations. 

However, Guelph only has about 20 positions open and there are over 300 applicants which makes it extremely competitive.

Grades do not count for a whole lot when applying to Guelph MPH, they are looking for experience and strong aspirations for working in public health. There are lots of volunteer opportunities for students to do in the public health field (ie. health promotion). 

Good luck to everyone applying to MPH.

Are you part of the Guelph Alumni or a current MPH student? I don't know much about Guelph but that sounds very interesting. 

I know right! I was checking the 2012 and 2013 threads and acceptances for UBC were out as early as March 1st. I guess we'll just have a wait a bit longer

has anyone applied to u of s in the last week? does it take a while for documents to get uploaded and application status to change?  i had letters, transcripts everything sent in last week prior to the deadline. 

my application status says "incomplete items outstanding" 

Do you guys think there is any difference between MPH's with a stream vs a general one? In terms of getting a decent job?

When you get into a general program, the first year you have to take the core competencies of public health. These courses focus on biostatistics, epidemiology, program planning etc and are necessary to make you completely prepared for your practicum. The programs that have these are mainly accredited  (such as the MPH at USASk which just recently got ASPHER accreditation), but I believe most programs have this requirement. Then, in your second year, you get to choose which courses you want to take. If you end up liking more epidemiology courses, then take more epidemiology courses and you can mention that you specialized in epidemiology for example. In the end, where you do your practicum is really important because employers care mainly about your experiences and how you've been able to apply the knowledge you've learned in public health. If you want to get into global health, then going to do a practicum at WHO would be essential for example. 

I am currently a first year MPH student at uSask originally form Ontario and I am enjoying the program so far. 

When you get into a general program, the first year you have to take the core competencies of public health. These courses focus on biostatistics, epidemiology, program planning etc and are necessary to make you completely prepared for your practicum. The programs that have these are mainly accredited  (such as the MPH at USASk which just recently got ASPHER accreditation), but I believe most programs have this requirement. Then, in your second year, you get to choose which courses you want to take. If you end up liking more epidemiology courses, then take more epidemiology courses and you can mention that you specialized in epidemiology for example. In the end, where you do your practicum is really important because employers care mainly about your experiences and how you've been able to apply the knowledge you've learned in public health. If you want to get into global health, then going to do a practicum at WHO would be essential for example. 

I am currently a first year MPH student at uSask originally form Ontario and I am enjoying the program so far. 

Thanks for the insight! Glad you are enjoying the program! We're all just waiting anxiously for any answers. 

Thanks for the info!  Good to know that U Sask is accredited!  

What I don't understand is that there are so many different accreditation programs and does it really matter if one goes to an accredited school or not?  There are quite a few of the Canadian programs that are not accredited, included popular ones like U of T.  I understand that the CEPH would be useful if one plans to work in the US.  But would employers, in Canada or outside of Canada, penalize someone for getting an MPH from a school that isn't accredited?  

Also, do you mind if I ask when were you accepted to U Sask last year? 

Thanks for the info!  Good to know that U Sask is accredited!  

What I don't understand is that there are so many different accreditation programs and does it really matter if one goes to an accredited school or not?  There are quite a few of the Canadian programs that are not accredited, included popular ones like U of T.  I understand that the CEPH would be useful if one plans to work in the US.  But would employers, in Canada or outside of Canada, penalize someone for getting an MPH from a school that isn't accredited?  

Also, do you mind if I ask when were you accepted to U Sask last year? 

Hey, no problem.

If an employer sees that you went to an accredited program, it would tell them that you meet the standards that are necessary for you to carry out public health duties. For example that you have taken all the core competencies required to understand public health from various levels. I don't think it's a big deal in Canada but in the states, there are so many public health schools that a standard needed to be made. I want to work internationally so the ASPHER accreditation would be good for me and would tell my future employers that I meet the same standards as other MPHers (in this case, ones that earned their MPH in Europe). It just shows that we have learned the same material. So far, I think US is the only place that reserves jobs for students who went to a CEPH accredited school and I don't think all are reserved only for people who have CEPH accreditation. 

Ah, I don't remember. I did apply closer to the end of February and I heard back two weeks later I believe. But they do have a lot of applications (last year around 700 I believe). Just make sure you check your account frequently. If they have questions, they may write on the PAWS that you need to contact them. 

Good luck!! 

Hey, no problem.

If an employer sees that you went to an accredited program, it would tell them that you meet the standards that are necessary for you to carry out public health duties. For example that you have taken all the core competencies required to understand public health from various levels. I don't think it's a big deal in Canada but in the states, there are so many public health schools that a standard needed to be made. I want to work internationally so the ASPHER accreditation would be good for me and would tell my future employers that I meet the same standards as other MPHers (in this case, ones that earned their MPH in Europe). It just shows that we have learned the same material. So far, I think US is the only place that reserves jobs for students who went to a CEPH accredited school and I don't think all are reserved only for people who have CEPH accreditation. 

Ah, I don't remember. I did apply closer to the end of February and I heard back two weeks later I believe. But they do have a lot of applications (last year around 700 I believe). Just make sure you check your account frequently. If they have questions, they may write on the PAWS that you need to contact them. 

Good luck!! 

do u mind sharing your gpa stats + relevant experiences prior to entering the mph?

Edited by mh6

do u mind sharing your gpa stats + relevant experiences prior to entering the mph?

I have several years of relevant hospital experience, a lot of PH related research experience, major thesis, a lot of volunteer work and over 3.4 gpa for last 2 yrs. 

I'm wondering if that acceptance is for a MSc or MPH. There was another one listed on the results search and it specified it was a MSc.

It probably is - I was the one who added my recommendation for admission on Feb 22nd with the specification that this was for the MSc (not MPH) program. I just got my official offer of admission from the Faculty of Grad Studies at UBC via email earlier today. My guess is that the person who posted their results to the database today is in the same boat as me (i.e. just received their official admission to the MSc program).

Hey, no problem.

Good luck!! 

I see.  I guess it is always good to go to an accredited program.  Who knows if I will be working in another country in the future  ;)

I submitted my application in early-mid February so hopefully they will get to my application soon!  I am still juggling between my choices and don't want to put any deposit down until I know for certain that I will be attending that school.  I'll definitely be checking PAWS 50x a day!  Thanks for the insight  :)

I have several years of relevant hospital experience, a lot of PH related research experience, major thesis, a lot of volunteer work and over 3.4 gpa for last 2 yrs. 

thanks for the info. was wondering how many ppl are your in class at U of S for the MPH?

is admissions easier for the ppl on the Dist Ed option? 

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a few weeks now and finally have some good news to post!  I've received an unofficial acceptance email from Lakehead for their Distance MPH program this morning!  My application was completed the day before the deadline so it looks like their Admission Committee is pretty speedy.  Hopefully this will give other Lakehead applicants some idea on how fast they work since they don't have a set date on when decisions are made. 

Good luck everyone!  :)

I probably screwed myself over by just putting in my application to Lakehead yesterday (I also did a CIHR grant app). Just wondering how folks who are still doing their degree are able to submit proof of completion? I'll be done in August - so enough time to start a Master's in Sept - but will my application for Lakehead not be complete until then??

Other than that, my app to UVic says "interim review". What do other UVic applicants see/know about yet?

I probably screwed myself over by just putting in my application to Lakehead yesterday (I also did a CIHR grant app). Just wondering how folks who are still doing their degree are able to submit proof of completion? I'll be done in August - so enough time to start a Master's in Sept - but will my application for Lakehead not be complete until then??

Other than that, my app to UVic says "interim review". What do other UVic applicants see/know about yet?

I think they accept unofficial transcripts but I'm not sure if you have one since you haven't completed your degree.  I would contact Graduate Studies about this if I were you.  Best of luck!