MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

I am applying for the second time around to UBC MPH, UofA Health Promotion and UofT Health Promotion.

SubGPA is around a 91% but I think I missed the boat last year with a lack of experience so took the year to improve this! I got my undergrad from UBC with a BKIN.

Hopeful that this time will be better!

Edited by MPHbound

I am applying for the second time around to UBC MPH, UofA Health Promotion and UofT Health Promotion.

SubGPA is around a 91% but I think I missed the boat last year with a lack of experience so took the year to improve this! I got my undergrad from UBC with a BKIN.

Hopeful that this time will be better!

Now you're scaring me…91%? I won't get in for sure.  :(

Now you're scaring me…91%? I won't get in for sure.  :(

I didn't mean to scare!  From what I heard, they don't base that much on GPA...more so on experiences.  I know some who got in with lower GPA's simply due to their practical work and research.  My background is more in community health and so my research experience is extremely limited.  The 91% was for my last 10 courses....my last 30 is lower!

I didn't mean to scare!  From what I heard, they don't base that much on GPA...more so on experiences.  I know some who got in with lower GPA's simply due to their practical work and research.  My background is more in community health and so my research experience is extremely limited.  The 91% was for my last 10 courses....my last 30 is lower!

:( Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll get in this time around! Your marks are great and now you have more experience.  It's my first time applying and I don't have any publications. It's really just a trial run. 

:( Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll get in this time around! Your marks are great and now you have more experience.  It's my first time applying and I don't have any publications. It's really just a trial run. 

A lot of people (myself included!) are applying for the first time. Don't despair, and certainly don't assume the worst!

We put our best foot forward in our applications, and now all we can do is wait for the verdict. In the meantime, try to stay positive! :)

A lot of people (myself included!) are applying for the first time. Don't despair, and certainly don't assume the worst!

We put our best foot forward in our applications, and now all we can do is wait for the verdict. In the meantime, try to stay positive! :)

Thanks mjmm!  :) It's going to be a long wait. 

Best of luck to you!

Pretty sure it's standard to hear back between April-June, but in some cases as early as March.

ahhh okay....did you apply? I wonder what a competitive gpa would be?

Edited by grad91

ahhh okay....did you apply? I wonder what a competitive gpa would be?

On their Admissions Requirements page they ask for "at least a 3.0 or B in your last 2 years of study", but obviously the higher the better. And yes I did, but no point comparing just yet though. We don't know what's considered competitive because nobody's been accepted yet haha :)

Edited by mjmm

Hello Guys ! 

I applied for the U of T - Epidemiology program ! (MPH)

as well as MPH at Queens and Guelph (process of applying)

My first choice is ofc U of T .. anyone else applied to U of T- Epi

I have a great final year gpa (4.02/4.33) and experience in a community health setting but no publications.. 

Each day I ponder over my chances of getting in hmm..

Hello Guys ! 

I applied for the U of T - Epidemiology program ! (MPH)

as well as MPH at Queens and Guelph (process of applying)

My first choice is ofc U of T .. anyone else applied to U of T- Epi

I have a great final year gpa (4.02/4.33) and experience in a community health setting but no publications.. 

Each day I ponder over my chances of getting in hmm..

I think most programs look at gpa from last 2 years..

hey friends,

I have applied for UBC's MHA program- fall 2014. I am facing 3 doubts and need your valuable opinion/answers.

1. FAQs says  minimum GRE score accepted are- V 154, Q 149, while my GRE score is V- 151, Q- 163. Do you guys think verbal component will be compensated with quant?

2. My application status is still showing incomplete and almost half the documents are displayed missing. I emailed and also called the grad office and they said no information can be given right now and all.... Its been 14 days post deadlines. is that the case with someone else too??

3.  most of the programs ask for statistics subject requirement. I never had statistics in my curriculum and few seniors told me we can study Stats as extra subject in grad studies as well. Will this weaken my application in compare to candidates who had stats in their undergrad curriculum?

hey friends,

I have applied for UBC's MHA program- fall 2014. I am facing 3 doubts and need your valuable opinion/answers.

1. FAQs says  minimum GRE score accepted are- V 154, Q 149, while my GRE score is V- 151, Q- 163. Do you guys think verbal component will be compensated with quant?

2. My application status is still showing incomplete and almost half the documents are displayed missing. I emailed and also called the grad office and they said no information can be given right now and all.... Its been 14 days post deadlines. is that the case with someone else too??

3.  most of the programs ask for statistics subject requirement. I never had statistics in my curriculum and few seniors told me we can study Stats as extra subject in grad studies as well. Will this weaken my application in compare to candidates who had stats in their undergrad curriculum?

no reply??????  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Any body applied to U of Dalhousie's any program? 

My application says "Decision Made-written notification to follow" since last 10 days. I have seen other forums of Eng and biology students who got congratulations or regret email right on the same day or within 2-3 days. I haven't received any response yet. Even they dont reply to my email..

Any one else on the same boat?

Any results or reply received so far by you guys?

Hello People,

I am a medicine bachelor, has 3 years of work experience working as doctor. No GRE, MCAT SCORES. My GPA is 3.28

6 months worked in usa. During study of medicine I had epidemiology course, statistics course

Applied to :

U of A

U of Vic

U of Guelph

U of Sask

U of Lakehead

SFU

What are my chances to get in?

Edited by rohan279

I've applied to UofT's MPH in Community Nutrition.  I have a phone interview for next week!

Very excited, as this is my top choice.  I wish I knew how many they were interviewing, and how many spots were available for the community nutrition program.

I haven't calculated my GPA, but my average for my last two years is 95%.

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a few weeks now and finally have some good news to post!  I've received an unofficial acceptance email from Lakehead for their Distance MPH program this morning!  My application was completed the day before the deadline so it looks like their Admission Committee is pretty speedy.  Hopefully this will give other Lakehead applicants some idea on how fast they work since they don't have a set date on when decisions are made. 

Good luck everyone!  :)

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a few weeks now and finally have some good news to post!  I've received an unofficial acceptance email from Lakehead for their Distance MPH program this morning!  My application was completed the day before the deadline so it looks like their Admission Committee is pretty speedy.  Hopefully this will give other Lakehead applicants some idea on how fast they work since they don't have a set date on when decisions are made. 

Congratulations! Happy to hear that someone has good news! 

I've applied to UofT's MPH in Community Nutrition.  I have a phone interview for next week!

Very excited, as this is my top choice.  I wish I knew how many they were interviewing, and how many spots were available for the community nutrition program.

I haven't calculated my GPA, but my average for my last two years is 95%.

Congratulations runnergrad, wish you all the best for interview.

Can you share your detailed profile and background, so that everyone come to know about UofT's requirements. Also please do share your interview experience with us. God bless you

Hi Everyone,

congratulations! please share your profile and background dear.

Hi Everyone!

It's tough competition here ( Remembering 'Broken Eggs' Sumit... :P  :D )

I have applied for MPH at UoT(family and community medicine) and SFU(Population Health Science).

Anyone out there with same interest? I haven't noticed anyone going with same concentration. any problem with that?

Felling excited!! :rolleyes:

I was advised by SFU graduate studies staff that I shell hear from the department by March ending.

Hoping for the best!!!!

Best of luck Everyone!!!

Waterloo also offers a distance education program.

from the FAQ of http://ceph.org:

Does it matter whether my degree is from an accredited school or program?

In general, there are three major practical implications for students of receiving a public health graduate degree from a non-accredited institution:

• Some employment is only open to graduates of CEPH-accredited public health schools or programs. The US Public Health Service, many US military public health jobs and some state and local government agencies require that MPH-level jobs be filled with graduates of CEPH-accredited schools and programs. If you have an idea of the area or agency where you would like to work after graduation, you should speak to a human resources officer if you have additional questions.
  • Some fellowships are only available to students attending CEPH-accredited schools and programs that are also members of the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH). Not all CEPH-accredited programs are members of ASPPH. If these fellowships are of interest to you visit www.aspph.org for more information.
  • The National Board of Public Health Examiners, the body for the national credentialing exam for individuals who possess a graduate-level degree in public health, offers the exam only to graduates of accredited programs and schools.  NBPHE is not affiliated with CEPH, and CEPH does not have a formal role in shaping the eligibility or other rules. If you would like to investigate the credentialing exam further, you may wish to review http://www.nbphe.org/.

Be sure to contact the grad assistants to get as much information as possible about your school of choice to make sure it's right for you.

Hey everyone,

In case people have questions on the importance of CEPH accreditation for Canadian programs, I've spoken with countless PH professionals and academics in the field (I currently work in a related area), and I have yet to hear anyone tell me this is a relevant factor for those wanting to stay in Canada.  Unfortunately, because there are many "diploma mill" MPH/DrPH/PhD programs in the US, CEPH has become somewhat a measure of rigour for American programs, but because the only credible PH programs in Canada are regulated by Canada's public higher education system, this is not really something to consider when applying for schools.  

UofT, UBC, and McGill, all of which consistently appear high in global university rankings, have PH programs that are not CEPH accredited.  The Public Health Service Agency of Canada actually lists a number of programs it recognizes for federal employment, the large majority of which don't hold this designation either:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/php-psp/master_of_php-eng.php