MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

congratulations! please share your profile and background dear.

I have a research and clinical education background with work experience in epidemiology research and hospital QI.  Also co-authored some published papers and did some relevant volunteer work.  I wouldn't say my GPA is spectacular but I think my other experiences make up for what I lack.  

Hi there,

Do you mind sharing what your stats are? GPA, experience.

Hey there,

My CGPA is about 3.87/4.33 ... last two years GPA was about 3.92/4.33

I've worked in public health on and off for about 2.5 years, and have some research experience with stats.

Hope it helps =)

Hey there,

I've worked in public health on and off for about 2.5 years, and have some research experience with stats.

Hope it helps =)

Thanks for the feedback :)

I have a research and clinical education background with work experience in epidemiology research and hospital QI.  Also co-authored some published papers and did some relevant volunteer work.  I wouldn't say my GPA is spectacular but I think my other experiences make up for what I lack.  

Now thats who they need, I guess......... Thanks

Hey there,

Hope it helps =)

congratulations dear....wish you best of luck for further process and career.

I applied to the MPH (Health Promotion) program at U of T, and the Global Health program at McMaster.

I haven't heard back from either of these programs. My background isn't in health care (or any science-related discipline), but I have professional public opinion research experience and strong statistics grades (95-99% in my stats courses). I'm probably an anomalous applicant, since I come from a non-traditional background, and I have professional experience but NOT in health care. We'll see if I get in...

Looking at the admissions history on this site for last year, people received their offers for the Health Promotion program at U of T in APRIL. I've heard from one other program so far, and they asked me to confirm/deny their offer by the end of next week. The MPH program at U of T is my top choice, so I don't know what to do right now! I don't want to turn down a legitimate offer from a program that I'm less interested in on the off chance that I'll get into a highly competitive first choice program. I wish Canadian universities had a more consistent approach to the graduate admissions process - it's bizarre that some programs will send out offers months before others.

I applied to the MSc of Population/Public Health at UBC and was recommended for admission on Feb 21. They offered me $5000 towards tuition. 

I'm just finishing up my fourth year of my biology degree. My cGPA is about 3.85/4 and my last two years is about 3.95/4. I've worked in a microbiology lab as a researcher for two years and I just submitted my first manuscript for publication, although not before I submitted my application. I don't really have any public health experience, but am a varsity athlete and do a lot of volunteer coaching. 

Any other MSc applicants? I'm looking to specialize in epidemiology. 

Edited by danielle21

I applied to the MPH (Health Promotion) program at U of T, and the Global Health program at McMaster.

I haven't heard back from either of these programs. My background isn't in health care (or any science-related discipline), but I have professional public opinion research experience and strong statistics grades (95-99% in my stats courses). I'm probably an anomalous applicant, since I come from a non-traditional background, and I have professional experience but NOT in health care. We'll see if I get in...

Looking at the admissions history on this site for last year, people received their offers for the Health Promotion program at U of T in APRIL. I've heard from one other program so far, and they asked me to confirm/deny their offer by the end of next week. The MPH program at U of T is my top choice, so I don't know what to do right now! I don't want to turn down a legitimate offer from a program that I'm less interested in on the off chance that I'll get into a highly competitive first choice program. I wish Canadian universities had a more consistent approach to the graduate admissions process - it's bizarre that some programs will send out offers months before others.

I'm on the same boat here.  I have yet to hear back from U Sask and I need to confirm my decision for another uni by mid March.  Luckily, the university I got admitted to is my first choice but it would be nice to know if I have another option.  I would put down my deposit if I were you but it all depends on how much you really want to go into that program.  Good luck!

Anyone applied to U Sask?  

Hi everyone,

Jumping in. I have applied to Usask and it looks like they still haven't got my CV/Resume that I have send via email 2 weeks ago. I am getting worried. I also applied to Memorial and Alberta. 

They're slow.  It took them a week before they updated my status to "complete ready for review."  Maybe send them another email with your CV/Resume attached?

Do you know when are we expected to hear back from U Sask?

Ah I see. I did send a physical copy via express post just in case yesterday. 

From the results search it seems like U Sask sends out acceptances any time from early March to April.

Best of luck everyone! This waiting it torture, but a few more weeks and we should hear something.

I'm passing the time by refreshing my email about 50 times a day, and working out to keep my mind off the possibility that I'll be rejected. Oh, and by eating copious amounts of chocolate.

I also have a day job (in market research), so that keeps me busy too.

Does anyone here know anyone else who applied for the Global Health program at Mac?

When it comes to the professional world, I doubt any of the Canadian schools would look bad on a resume. The academic world cares a lot more about where you completed your degree; the professional world cares about how hard you work, how good you are at handling stressful situations, and how competent you are at your chosen profession. I have been working professionally for the last five years, and none of my employers has cared where I completed my education.

Considering that many people enter the health care profession after completing a MPH (rather than continuing to do academic research), then I would suggest choosing a school with the best connections to solid health networks that is in a city where you can actually see yourself living for the foreseeable future. Once you make connections within a particular health care network, it will be easier to find a position locally once you graduate.

I would rank my program choices by proximity. I currently live and work in Toronto, and my SO has a job here as well. I wasn't able to consider any schools outside of the GTHA, since we need to be close to his workplace.

When it comes to the professional world, I doubt any of the Canadian schools would look bad on a resume. The academic world cares a lot more about where you completed your degree; the professional world cares about how hard you work, how good you are at handling stressful situations, and how competent you are at your chosen profession. I have been working professionally for the last five years, and none of my employers has cared where I completed my education.

Considering that many people enter the health care profession after completing a MPH (rather than continuing to do academic research), then I would suggest choosing a school with the best connections to solid health networks that is in a city where you can actually see yourself living for the foreseeable future. Once you make connections within a particular health care network, it will be easier to find a position locally once you graduate.

I would rank my program choices by proximity. I currently live and work in Toronto, and my SO has a job here as well. I wasn't able to consider any schools outside of the GTHA, since we need to be close to his workplace.

Thanks Kaitri for your input.  I do agree that the professional world doesn't really care about the school but being a graduate from a few prestigious schools, I am a bit skeptical about choosing a school that is not as well-known or less reputable.  I was limited in my choices to part-time online programs because my last stats course was completed a few years back and I am keeping my full-time job in the health care field.  I guess I just need to wrap my head around the idea that it doesn't matter where I go as long as I come out with an MPH   :)   

My top two choices are the Guelph MAN program and Toronto's MPH in Community Nutrition.

I honestly will have a hard time deciding between the two if I am fortunately to gain admission to both.  I've had interviews for both programs.

UofT's program matches my interests perfectly, but I'm not a fan of big cities like Toronto, and so I would be commuting daily into Toronto.  The program is tailor-made to my interests, however.

Guelph has a wonderful program with incredible professors.  The campus is beautiful, there are so many support systems in place to help students succeed, and I feel very comfortable at Guelph.  The city is the perfect size, is very green, has plenty of running and biking trails, and is really just the perfect city for me to live in.

I previously worked for the Public Health Agency of Canada, in Ottawa, before I decided to return to university to further my studies.  I can tell you that when we were hiring (I served on three hiring committees) we didn't care what university someone attended.  After all, in Canada, almost all universities are publically funded and so the quality of education is very similar among similar programs.  Where the differences show up is when you look at graduate research (not professional) programs.  For research-based programs, it is obviously more impressive if you've worked with a leader in your field, or completed your MSc or PhD at a university known for its research in a particular area.  For professional programs (or undergraduate degrees), we only cared that the person had the piece of paper that they said they had.  Candidates actual work and volunteer experience, combined with their references, were the important factors.  Their performance during the interview and any tests was important.  What university they graduated from was never something we considered.  Of course, YMMV, but that was my experience working in public health for the federal government.  Other levels of government, other departments or agencies, or other areas in public health may have different criteria.

I'm glad that UofT has said they will inform us of their decision for the community nutrition program by March 7th.  At least I know when I can expect a response.  Hopefully it will be a positive one!