MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

When it comes to the professional world, I doubt any of the Canadian schools would look bad on a resume. The academic world cares a lot more about where you completed your degree; the professional world cares about how hard you work, how good you are at handling stressful situations, and how competent you are at your chosen profession. I have been working professionally for the last five years, and none of my employers has cared where I completed my education.

Considering that many people enter the health care profession after completing a MPH (rather than continuing to do academic research), then I would suggest choosing a school with the best connections to solid health networks that is in a city where you can actually see yourself living for the foreseeable future. Once you make connections within a particular health care network, it will be easier to find a position locally once you graduate.

I would rank my program choices by proximity. I currently live and work in Toronto, and my SO has a job here as well. I wasn't able to consider any schools outside of the GTHA, since we need to be close to his workplace.

My top two choices are the Guelph MAN program and Toronto's MPH in Community Nutrition.

I honestly will have a hard time deciding between the two if I am fortunately to gain admission to both.  I've had interviews for both programs.

UofT's program matches my interests perfectly, but I'm not a fan of big cities like Toronto, and so I would be commuting daily into Toronto.  The program is tailor-made to my interests, however.

Guelph has a wonderful program with incredible professors.  The campus is beautiful, there are so many support systems in place to help students succeed, and I feel very comfortable at Guelph.  The city is the perfect size, is very green, has plenty of running and biking trails, and is really just the perfect city for me to live in.

I previously worked for the Public Health Agency of Canada, in Ottawa, before I decided to return to university to further my studies.  I can tell you that when we were hiring (I served on three hiring committees) we didn't care what university someone attended.  After all, in Canada, almost all universities are publically funded and so the quality of education is very similar among similar programs.  Where the differences show up is when you look at graduate research (not professional) programs.  For research-based programs, it is obviously more impressive if you've worked with a leader in your field, or completed your MSc or PhD at a university known for its research in a particular area.  For professional programs (or undergraduate degrees), we only cared that the person had the piece of paper that they said they had.  Candidates actual work and volunteer experience, combined with their references, were the important factors.  Their performance during the interview and any tests was important.  What university they graduated from was never something we considered.  Of course, YMMV, but that was my experience working in public health for the federal government.  Other levels of government, other departments or agencies, or other areas in public health may have different criteria.

I'm glad that UofT has said they will inform us of their decision for the community nutrition program by March 7th.  At least I know when I can expect a response.  Hopefully it will be a positive one!

Great Inputs Guys!!!

I have applied in SFU: Population Health Science and UoT: family and community medicine concentrations. I find both the programs well suitable to my needs as I am a health care professional.

I have gone through the topics of last two years' MPH applicants and I have noticed that people speak good for SFU( if not as high as for UoT). it is also accredited by CEPH, although as pointed out earlier in this topic, it does not matter much. I don't know much about how well developed network SFU does have, but I'm pretty sure that it will provide me good opportunities as the program has been there for longer period of time. It would be great if someone can comment on that. On the other hand, UoT is one of the most reputed universities in the world and the concentration I have chosen the concentration that matches best with my previous studies and work experience. Opportunities will be greater at UoT than SFU. However, I feel that the family and community medicine concentration has been started recently at UoT as I have never seen anyone talking about it. As far as this point, both universities are at same level for me. It would be helpful if someone can throw more light on importance and stress given to practicum at both universities. I found SFU one step ahead in this area.(please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Other deciding factors for me are the weather and fees. I found weather of Burnaby(BC) more suitable than Toronto's. Also the fees are very high at UoT ( considering that I'm an international student).

At the moment I'm more inclined towards SFU. I hope to hear some good news from them. :-)

Edited by rush2014

Waiting it out is really torturous! :( How is everyone passing the time? 

I'm passing the time by refreshing my email about 50 times a day, and working out to keep my mind off the possibility that I'll be rejected. Oh, and by eating copious amounts of chocolate.

I also have a day job (in market research), so that keeps me busy too.

Does anyone here know anyone else who applied for the Global Health program at Mac?

Well, I am not expecting to hear anything so soon considering that UoT is slow to send out offer letters and It has been just 15 days to deadline to submit documents at SFU. But after 15th March, I'll be refreshing my email 50 times a Day!!!! ;)  Right now I'm busy with work, no time to think about the decision.

However, It's nice to take a follow up here at the end of a day.

My top two choices are the Guelph MAN program and Toronto's MPH in Community Nutrition.

I honestly will have a hard time deciding between the two if I am fortunately to gain admission to both.  I've had interviews for both programs.

UofT's program matches my interests perfectly, but I'm not a fan of big cities like Toronto, and so I would be commuting daily into Toronto.  The program is tailor-made to my interests, however.

Guelph has a wonderful program with incredible professors.  The campus is beautiful, there are so many support systems in place to help students succeed, and I feel very comfortable at Guelph.  The city is the perfect size, is very green, has plenty of running and biking trails, and is really just the perfect city for me to live in.

I previously worked for the Public Health Agency of Canada, in Ottawa, before I decided to return to university to further my studies.  I can tell you that when we were hiring (I served on three hiring committees) we didn't care what university someone attended.  After all, in Canada, almost all universities are publically funded and so the quality of education is very similar among similar programs.  Where the differences show up is when you look at graduate research (not professional) programs.  For research-based programs, it is obviously more impressive if you've worked with a leader in your field, or completed your MSc or PhD at a university known for its research in a particular area.  For professional programs (or undergraduate degrees), we only cared that the person had the piece of paper that they said they had.  Candidates actual work and volunteer experience, combined with their references, were the important factors.  Their performance during the interview and any tests was important.  What university they graduated from was never something we considered.  Of course, YMMV, but that was my experience working in public health for the federal government.  Other levels of government, other departments or agencies, or other areas in public health may have different criteria.

I'm glad that UofT has said they will inform us of their decision for the community nutrition program by March 7th.  At least I know when I can expect a response.  Hopefully it will be a positive one!

Thanks for the feedback, RunnerGrad!  That was very helpful!  It is comforting to know that even some government sectors do not perceive the university to be of great importance.  I have done some resume screening myself and I remember I only red flagged those with a sketchy US online "university/college" degree.  I guess I will have to wait to see if I will get an acceptance from U Sask before weighing out my options and putting some thoughts on which program would be most suitable for me.  

I received acceptance from Lakehead today.

Congratulations!  I received mine last week.  Will you be doing the flex-time program or the full-time on campus program?  

Edited by CanMPH2014

Congratulations!  I received mine last week.  Will you be doing the flex-time program or the full-time on campus program?  

Congrats to you too!  I am doing the flex-time program, you?  I am really excited as I know it is a great program :)

Congrats to you too!  I am doing the flex-time program, you?  I am really excited as I know it is a great program :)

I'm also doing flex-time!  Still waiting to hear back from another school before I finalize my decision.  Do you know of anyone who has done the program?  I am unfamiliar with Lakehead and it does not seem like a popular school for MPH.  I would really like to get more info on the program, if possible.

I'm also doing flex-time!  Still waiting to hear back from another school before I finalize my decision.  Do you know of anyone who has done the program?  I am unfamiliar with Lakehead and it does not seem like a popular school for MPH.  I would really like to get more info on the program, if possible.

Yes, I know a few people who have taken the program and have positive things to say about it.  It is one of Canada's first MPH programs, being established in 2002.  The delivery style of the flex-time option as requiring no time on campus is unique and may have pros (don't have to travel) and cons (don't get to meet your classmates) depending on what you value.  Public policy and programming, social determinants of health, health equities, health and social justice, Canadian public health etc. are focuses that I am interested for a public health degree and this program includes these.

I think some of the reasons this may be a lesser known program is because Lakehead may be a lesser known school compared to others now offering the MPH simply because it is located in Thunder Bay.  Lakehead is a fantastic school.  I am a bit biased as half my family lives in Thunder Bay and the majority of them have attended Lakehead.  As someone mentioned above, it really doesn't matter what school you go to in term of prestige, regarding Canadian Universities.  I have read/heard people asking if Lakehead may be an easier program to get into than other MPHs and I would have to say no.  It remains very competitive and I know of a few very qualified people who have not been accepted.  When it comes to MPHs, I value programs which put an emphases on professional experience in the field and Lakehead seems to do this. Your decision should likely be based on what the different programs offer and which will serve you best.  I truly believe what one gets out of a Masters program all depends on what one is willing to put into it.  That means, if you find two programs that are very similar and you can't decide what one to pick, you likely can't go wrong.

I also applied to another school but I am leaning towards Lakehead.  I hope this helps!  I know it's a hard decision  :unsure:

Yes, I know a few people who have taken the program and have positive things to say about it.  It is one of Canada's first MPH programs, being established in 2002.  The delivery style of the flex-time option as requiring no time on campus is unique and may have pros (don't have to travel) and cons (don't get to meet your classmates) depending on what you value.  Public policy and programming, social determinants of health, health equities, health and social justice, Canadian public health etc. are focuses that I am interested for a public health degree and this program includes these.

I think some of the reasons this may be a lesser known program is because Lakehead may be a lesser known school compared to others now offering the MPH simply because it is located in Thunder Bay.  Lakehead is a fantastic school.  I am a bit biased as half my family lives in Thunder Bay and the majority of them have attended Lakehead.  As someone mentioned above, it really doesn't matter what school you go to in term of prestige, regarding Canadian Universities.  I have read/heard people asking if Lakehead may be an easier program to get into than other MPHs and I would have to say no.  It remains very competitive and I know of a few very qualified people who have not been accepted.  When it comes to MPHs, I value programs which put an emphases on professional experience in the field and Lakehead seems to do this. Your decision should likely be based on what the different programs offer and which will serve you best.  I truly believe what one gets out of a Masters program all depends on what one is willing to put into it.  That means, if you find two programs that are very similar and you can't decide what one to pick, you likely can't go wrong.

I also applied to another school but I am leaning towards Lakehead.  I hope this helps!  I know it's a hard decision  :unsure:

Thanks so much!  This is definitely very helpful!  I do feel a lot more comfortable now hearing that Lakehead's graduates think positively of the program.  I actually really like the courses that they offers (I am more interested in health policy, ethics, and promotion/access to care but I am considering putting some focus on epi and research) and was leaning towards this program at first (partly because U Sask requires students to take two in-class courses and this is definitely not ideal for a working professional in Ontario like myself!), but I started getting skeptical when I saw someone here rated his/her experience at Lakehead a 6/10.  I guess there is no point of me pulling out my hair over this when I have yet to hear back from U Sask.  I can do that later (or maybe not do it at all if I get rejected). :P Good luck with the other school!

Congrats guys/gals!

Thanks! Congrats on McMaster and hope you'll get into U of T!  :)

I agree with what you've said about Lakehead.  Due to its location it isn't as large, or as well known, as other universities that are further south.  I've only heard good things about Lakehead's MPH program, and graduates of the program are working in many different areas in health care.  One acquaintance who graduated from Lakehead's MPH program is currently in medical school in Canada.

Congratulations to all those who have received offers!  And good luck making a decision if you've received multiple offers.

I know I'll be hearing back on March 7th, so the next week is going to go by SO slowly.

is there any difference in time for international students and domestic students receiving admission offer from lake head,...plz respond i m freaking out plzzzzzz

I'm not sure about Lakehead, but I know many Canadian universities have different timelines for domestic and international students.  Some even have different timelines for out-of-province students.

Sorry I don't know about Lakehead.

is there any difference in time for international students and domestic students receiving admission offer from lake head,...plz respond i m freaking out plzzzzzz

Have some patience dear and hope for the best!!!! :rolleyes::) 

I'm not sure if Lakehead varies their notification for domestic vs international students. I do know that they don't have a specific time line when they send out notifications in general.  If you look at this forum from last year, some didn't receive notification until May.  I know it's difficult but try not to worry about it too much. 

I agree with what you've said about Lakehead.  Due to its location it isn't as large, or as well known, as other universities that are further south.  I've only heard good things about Lakehead's MPH program, and graduates of the program are working in many different areas in health care.  One acquaintance who graduated from Lakehead's MPH program is currently in medical school in Canada.

Congratulations to all those who have received offers!  And good luck making a decision if you've received multiple offers.

I know I'll be hearing back on March 7th, so the next week is going to go by SO slowly.

Thank you!  March 7th will be here before you know it  :)

Thank I guys...it is very hard to sit back and wait for the replies...

havong hard time controlling the impulse and so I end up check mails 100 times a day

my question is

do all the universities send out emails for acceptance..or they just upload it on the web site??