MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I'm applying to U of T's MPH program for 2014 fall. I'm feeling a little intimidated by the letter of intent. Is anyone else on the same boat? Their instructions aren't very detailed. It says they want it to be 2 pages max. I'm wondering if that's two pages double spaced or single.

Cheers :)

Which stream are you applying to? I believe it's single spaced

Hello, 

I too am interested in doing a MPH over the next several years, and for those of you with familiar with Canadian MPH programs, was wondering if I could gain some insight from those of you that are on the ball with the specific programs in canada. For me, I am interested in an MPH as I think it would be a great complement to an MD career, and am interested in doing some work in the area of public health as my career allows. 

My Questions:

What is this whole MPH accreditation thing? Is it important, and something that should be a determining factor in the school that I should choose? I do not think I will ever be a public health officer, what it is for?

I would like to complete my MPH part time, through distance education while doing other things, like medical school/residency. The only program that I know of in canada that offers this is the university of Victoria. Do any of you know about UVic's program? It doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as some other schools like UBC, SFU or UofT, but flexibility would be more important than prestige for me.

Also, are there other MPH programs in canada that would enable part time & distance ed study? 

Any other relevant comments that you may have would be awesome!
Edited by billguy

Hi All. So happy that I found this thread.

I'm applying to Queens, Guelph and UofT all for a MPH (Health Promotion stream at the UofT). Anyone else? Good luck to everyone applying. Happy that we can all stress together :)

I don't like how there's no interview (at least for Guelph, U of T, and Waterloo). The statement of intent is the most important component of the application, and that's not a very good indication of an individual's capabilities as he/she can just get someone to write it for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I too am interested in doing a MPH over the next several years, and for those of you with familiar with Canadian MPH programs, was wondering if I could gain some insight from those of you that are on the ball with the specific programs in canada. For me, I am interested in an MPH as I think it would be a great complement to an MD career, and am interested in doing some work in the area of public health as my career allows. 

My Questions:

What is this whole MPH accreditation thing? Is it important, and something that should be a determining factor in the school that I should choose? I do not think I will ever be a public health officer, what it is for?

I would like to complete my MPH part time, through distance education while doing other things, like medical school/residency. The only program that I know of in canada that offers this is the university of Victoria. Do any of you know about UVic's program? It doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as some other schools like UBC, SFU or UofT, but flexibility would be more important than prestige for me.

Also, are there other MPH programs in canada that would enable part time & distance ed study? 

Any other relevant comments that you may have would be awesome!

Waterloo also offers a distance education program.

from the FAQ of http://ceph.org:

Does it matter whether my degree is from an accredited school or program?

In general, there are three major practical implications for students of receiving a public health graduate degree from a non-accredited institution:

• Some employment is only open to graduates of CEPH-accredited public health schools or programs. The US Public Health Service, many US military public health jobs and some state and local government agencies require that MPH-level jobs be filled with graduates of CEPH-accredited schools and programs. If you have an idea of the area or agency where you would like to work after graduation, you should speak to a human resources officer if you have additional questions.
  • Some fellowships are only available to students attending CEPH-accredited schools and programs that are also members of the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH). Not all CEPH-accredited programs are members of ASPPH. If these fellowships are of interest to you visit www.aspph.org for more information.
  • The National Board of Public Health Examiners, the body for the national credentialing exam for individuals who possess a graduate-level degree in public health, offers the exam only to graduates of accredited programs and schools.  NBPHE is not affiliated with CEPH, and CEPH does not have a formal role in shaping the eligibility or other rules. If you would like to investigate the credentialing exam further, you may wish to review http://www.nbphe.org/.

Be sure to contact the grad assistants to get as much information as possible about your school of choice to make sure it's right for you.

Edited by Loren26

happy new year to all fellow applicants of MPH program in canada.

I am sumit from India, applying as int. student to MPH at UofT, SFU,UBC, UofVic and Uof A. I am more interested in concentration of health policy and administration. I will also apply for MHA program at UofT and UBC.

I am just very curious about acceptance rates and chances of international grads to get into these programs. There must be hundreds of applications for a batch of 20-40. Really competitive.

i have 3 years of work experience as general dentist, Hospital Administrator and 2 year voluntary work at a Cancer care institute-NGO in India. No publications or research so far. GPA, GRE and IELTS are up to the mark.

I am wondering if programs like SFU and UVic which have no research scope and faculty interest in Cancer/oncology will be interested in accepting my application. As it all depends on my SOP, I find no motivation to add any forged stuff in HIV/AIDS or Diabetes work in my SOP, which might diminish chances of getting in. 

Anyone else facing similar problems?????

• 2 weeks later...
I am wondering if programs like SFU and UVic which have no research scope and faculty interest in Cancer/oncology will be interested in accepting my application. As it all depends on my SOP, I find no motivation to add any forged stuff in HIV/AIDS or Diabetes work in my SOP, which might diminish chances of getting in. 

Forged stuff? Why would there be motivation to add forged stuff?

I am applying to MPH -  epidemiology for U of T , U of Guelph and Queens 

Really hating the letter of intent I wish there were interviews :(

Starting to feel the pressure already now that due dates are nearing :mellow:  

Hi All. So happy that I found this thread.

I'm applying to Queens, Guelph and UofT all for a MPH (Health Promotion stream at the UofT). Anyone else? Good luck to everyone applying. Happy that we can all stress together :)

ME TOO  !! except EPI focus for U of T 

Good luck with the app process .. I am beginning to freak out now lol

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I recently submitted my applications to U of T MPH (Epi) and Waterloo MPH.

I noticed much later in the application process that U of T requires a statistics or math course completed with a min. of B+ grade. I do have a stats course completed, but my grade was really poor in it - I took it during the first year of my undergrad and only because my program required it.

Most of the schools require some math background, but has anyone come across any program/university that doesn't require stats or math credits/grades?

Also, has anyone looked at the program at Lakehead U? Any idea how competitive that may be? I'm looking for one other university that may not be as competitive to have a better chance at admission for the Fall session

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I recently submitted my applications to U of T MPH (Epi) and Waterloo MPH.

I noticed much later in the application process that U of T requires a statistics or math course completed with a min. of B+ grade. I do have a stats course completed, but my grade was really poor in it - I took it during the first year of my undergrad and only because my program required it.

Most of the schools require some math background, but has anyone come across any program/university that doesn't require stats or math credits/grades?

Also, has anyone looked at the program at Lakehead U? Any idea how competitive that may be? I'm looking for one other university that may not be as competitive to have a better chance at admission for the Fall session

Hi InProcess,

I have the same problem as you. I think most of the Universities have the stat/math requirement. 

I just applied anyway (I was a percent away). It might help if you contact the program coordinator and tell them your situation. It worked for me. 

Best of luck! 

So now that the U of T app deadline has passed, how did you guys feel about it? I applied for Health Promotion.

I applied to this program as well--not sure how I feel about it, kind of nervous. Seems to be a pretty competitive program, and even though they were pretty detailed about what they were looking for, I'm not sure if I meet their requirements.

Has anyone had any trouble with the University of Alberta application? My references are showing up as outstanding even though they've been submitted and my references received confirmations for them, one of them was showing up on Monday and isn't now... I haven't had any success contacting the school about it 

Hey everyone!

I also have this problem, my first year stats mark is less than desirable, partially because I was under the impression that first year marks didn't count for anything. I've applied to University of Alberta, University of Saskatchewan, Simon Fraser, Queen's and Memorial so as far as I can remember these didn't have a specific grade stats requirement. I looked at the Lakehead program and decided not to apply because it's online and I haven't liked my undergrad courses online. I don't know which schools are more or less competitive (but if anyone does please share!).

Has anyone had any trouble with the University of Alberta application? My references are showing up as outstanding even though they've been submitted and my references received confirmations for them, one of them was showing up on Monday and isn't now... I haven't had any success contacting the school about it 

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they've received confirmation. UofA seems to have a pretty archaic way of submitting documents, with everything being sent to one e-mail address. It'll take them a long time to manually confirm that they've received everything. As long as you've done your part by submitting your documents on time, I wouldn't stress about it. :)

I've applied to the MPH programs at UVic, UofA (Health Promotion, on-campus) and UofT (Health Promotion). I'm so anxious! My top choice is UofT, but of course, admission is "extremely competitive." Trying not to get my hopes up, but it's difficult.

Hope that nobody had any complications with their applications, and now we wait...!

Good luck everyone!

Same problem here too, they say that as long as everything is 'postmarked'  on/before today, we should be fine

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they've received confirmation. UofA seems to have a pretty archaic way of submitting documents, with everything being sent to one e-mail address. It'll take them a long time to manually confirm that they've received everything. As long as you've done your part by submitting your documents on time, I wouldn't stress about it. :)

I've applied to the MPH programs at UVic, UofA (Health Promotion, on-campus) and UofT (Health Promotion). I'm so anxious! My top choice is UofT, but of course, admission is "extremely competitive." Trying not to get my hopes up, but it's difficult.

Hope that nobody had any complications with their applications, and now we wait...!

Good luck everyone!

Okay that's reassuring, thanks a lot your your speedy reply! I know how you feel, I also try not to get my hopes up as a sort of defence mechanism but it's not working very well because assuming I won't get in doesn't feel very good either. I think it's going to make for a long couple of months.

Best of luck!

Okay that's reassuring, thanks a lot your your speedy reply! I know how you feel, I also try not to get my hopes up as a sort of defence mechanism but it's not working very well because assuming I won't get in doesn't feel very good either. I think it's going to make for a long couple of months.

Best of luck!

We are in the same boat! It's a bit of a battle. But now it's out of our hands, so all we can do is wait patiently.

I'm sure this thread will come alive again once letters are being sent out though, so we'll know when to start checking our mailboxes!

Hello all! First time poster, long time lurker.

Has anyone here applied to the MPH program at UBC? I've been frantically opening the application checklist making sure that everything is complete and submitted, and I see that my GRE scores weren't submitted. I completed a stats course during my undergrad that fulfilled their minimum grade criteria, and I was under the impression that I didn't need to submit these scores (based on the admission requirements listed on the site). I contacted the program coordinator about this and she told me to be patient while they process the applications. However, it's been about a week and a half since all my materials were submitted and my 'to do list' hasn't changed.

Is anyone in the same boat?

Best of luck to everyone!