2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Accepted into UMBC Biological Sciences PhD Program, Uniformed Services University Emerging Infectious Disease PhD program, and University of Maryland, Baltimore Microbiology and Immunology program.  3/3 for all the schools I applied to very happy.  Now to make a decision :)

Finally heard back (rejection) from Vanderbilt... still waiting (rather impatiently) from Wake Forest and Case Western. Although at this point, I feel like I should just start narrowing down what I have. Did anyone else hear of $100 + deposits required when they accepted their spot at a program? Drexel requires it, and that makes me feel kinda weird about the school as a whole... Still have to visit there and Purdue before I can make any decisions though.

I know many of the graduate programs (if not all) still require graduate student fee or something similar even after tuition is waived.

So I'm guessing that $100 might be something of this kind, but I've never heard of deposit-requirement.... 

Edited by Science_Nerd

Finally heard back (rejection) from Vanderbilt... still waiting (rather impatiently) from Wake Forest and Case Western. Although at this point, I feel like I should just start narrowing down what I have. Did anyone else hear of $100 + deposits required when they accepted their spot at a program? Drexel requires it, and that makes me feel kinda weird about the school as a whole... Still have to visit there and Purdue before I can make any decisions though.

I have an offer from Drexel without any information on funding (eye roll) and was asked for the $100 deposit if I accept the offer. My friend who got accepted at USciences also did not receive any info on funding but was asked to pay $150 as deposit. Is it some kind of a Philadelphia thing?

Hey guys

Now it is time to decline one program for the sake of another.

I wish I had been accepted to just one program so that I don't have to make

any decision.

By the way....I've already seen some posts about these but could you show me any form of declining e-mail?

I know here are many excellent applicants accepted to many programs at the same time.

You must have some auto-form like the schools sending for rejections.

(Situation reversed!)

Any idea or would you show me some forms?

Frankly speaking, I am exhausted to make some formal kind wording....

Hey guys

Now it is time to decline one program for the sake of another.

I wish I had been accepted to just one program so that I don't have to make

any decision.

By the way....I've already seen some posts about these but could you show me any form of declining e-mail?

I know here are many excellent applicants accepted to many programs at the same time.

You must have some auto-form like the schools sending for rejections.

(Situation reversed!)

Any idea or would you show me some forms?

Frankly speaking, I am exhausted to make some formal kind wording....

This was generally what I sent to those schools I declined offers at:

Dear _______,

I'd like to thank you, along with everyone I had contact with during my application and interview process for the _______ Program at _________. I had a very positive experience with the university, and am sure it would undoubtedly be a great place to complete one's graduate work.

I have, however, decided to attend another university that I feel is a better fit for me, and thus I cannot accept my offer of admission at __________.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

Sincerely,

IncretinEffect33

Something nice and straight to the point. No need to explain why you didn't choose them, or that they were your top second choice, etc. etc. They'll probably actually want you to fill out a small form/survey about the process, and that will ask you where you are attending, as well as what was good and bad about the whole process, so you'll get to give your thoughts that way. At least the schools where I declined asked me to do that.

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck with your decision!

This was generally what I sent to those schools I declined offers at:

Dear _______,

I'd like to thank you, along with everyone I had contact with during my application and interview process for the _______ Program at _________. I had a very positive experience with the university, and am sure it would undoubtedly be a great place to complete one's graduate work.

I have, however, decided to attend another university that I feel is a better fit for me, and thus I cannot accept my offer of admission at __________.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

Sincerely,

IncretinEffect33

Something nice and straight to the point. No need to explain why you didn't choose them, or that they were your top second choice, etc. etc. They'll probably actually want you to fill out a small form/survey about the process, and that will ask you where you are attending, as well as what was good and bad about the whole process, so you'll get to give your thoughts that way. At least the schools where I declined asked me to do that.

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck with your decision!

Thanks for quick response, IncretinEffect!

You got accepted to 6 and that must be a hard decision to pick one!

I only have to send one decline but it still hurts

I appreciate your form :)

So at this point I've fully accepted that I didn't get into grad school once again, and that if I hadn't applied last year, I would have gotten in this year. I emailed a school asking if they were still deciding, today, over a month later, they replied saying they were still determining results. I didn't even get an interview. Can't they have the common courtesy just to tell me, or at least not take over a month to reply.

So at this point I've fully accepted that I didn't get into grad school once again, and that if I hadn't applied last year, I would have gotten in this year. I emailed a school asking if they were still deciding, today, over a month later, they replied saying they were still determining results. I didn't even get an interview. Can't they have the common courtesy just to tell me, or at least not take over a month to reply.

Hey, it looks like I'm in the same boat, so you're not alone (I'm still desperately hoping for last minute good news). My plan is to re-assess what I did this year and try to improve my application for next year. If this is what you really want, continue to fight for it. Don't be afraid to ask why  you weren't considered, as it may lead to key insights as to what you can improve on. Don't give up!

Well this is year two for me. Last year I apparently the bombed my interview so badly that they held it against me this year, which seems a little unfair. They literally told me if I hadn't applied last year, I would have been given an interview for sure.

Hi, I was just curious if anyone from the schools you applied to told you that your previous interview experience was held against you, or it is just your estimated reason.

Because if they really tell you that is why you weren't offered an interview visit, then it is just not fair and wrong.

Some people do bad in interview when they are nervous or for whatever other reasons, and they should not judge you or any applicant based on your interviews from last year.

Well this is year two for me. Last year I apparently the bombed my interview so badly that they held it against me this year, which seems a little unfair. They literally told me if I hadn't applied last year, I would have been given an interview for sure.

This is year 2 for me too. Last year I didn't even get an interview, and this year I got 2 and wait listed at one of those schools. Things still aren't looking great, but it is a vast improvement over last year because I completely changed the way I looked at the application process. From what I heard, applying to grad school is a lot like gambling; sometimes the cards are in your favor and sometimes they aren't, but eventually you will have your day.

Also, I just got wait listed at Einstein. Not complaining as it is better than a rejection.

This is year 2 for me too. Last year I didn't even get an interview, and this year I got 2 and wait listed at one of those schools. Things still aren't looking great, but it is a vast improvement over last year because I completely changed the way I looked at the application process. From what I heard, applying to grad school is a lot like gambling; sometimes the cards are in your favor and sometimes they aren't, but eventually you will have your day.

Also, I just got wait listed at Einstein. Not complaining as it is better than a rejection.

Hey, I was also waitlisted at Einstein and just declined, so hopefully that moved you up!

I declined the offer from Stony Brook, good luck ;)

...From what I heard, applying to grad school is a lot like gambling; sometimes the cards are in your favor and sometimes they aren't, but eventually you will have your day.

I tend to disagree. i understand that it is a very disappointing experience, but once you have regrouped, take an analytical look at this: Try to find out what the reason was for not getting interviews and/or admissions and then try to address that. If it's lack of hands-on research, try to volunteer in a lab if necessary. If it's bad letters of recommendation, try to find someone else who can write a letter (preferably someone who knows your research skills). If it's lack of fit, make sure that you pick a program that fits your interests and background and make a case for it in your application. If it's a bad GPA, try to take classes somewhere else to boost your GPA.

I declined the offer from Stony Brook, good luck ;)

Have fun at Albany! Just out of curiosity, when did you interview with Stony?

Edited by kimmibeans

Without going into detail, I found out that was why. They would never tell me that to my face, but it was their reasoning. The other place that offered me an interview last year also decided not repeat this year, even though when I asked what I could improve on, they told me I had done a lot and would definitely get an interview again. This process is a lot more like gambling than you think. Not for you higher up kids. You're all shoo ins somewhere mostly. It's more for us lower range kids. I'm not upset anymore like I said. I had a bad GPA my first two years, , and a 3.5 the next two years, and they also told me it would be nice to get more research experience. So I did research for a year, and got better letters of recommendation. They decided not to go with me still. It can be a little more random when you're at the bottom.

I understand. I am just saying that if you think it's all a gamble, you won't address whatever shortcomings there are in your application. See this link:

http://pregrad.stanford.edu/phdfaq.html#important

BTW, many schools only consider the GPA o fyour last two years.

I understand. I am just saying that if you think it's all a gamble, you won't address whatever shortcomings there are in your application. See this link:

http://pregrad.stanford.edu/phdfaq.html#important

BTW, many schools only consider the GPA o fyour last two years.

Oh I totally agree. My application from last year is much improved. And ya I knew that, but somehow it didn't really work out for me still.