Political theory PHD and Math GRE

Hey everyone,

I will be applying to political science PHD programs for political theory this year and I recently took the GRE, 167 verbal, 157 math, 5.5 writing. Do you think that this math score will hurt me much since I am doing political theory?

I can't speak for everywhere, but I got very similar numbers (165V, 158Q, 5.5) and will be starting a PhD in theory this fall.  I didn't get into the top-top schools I applied to and was hoping to make, but I'd guess that was likely due to my somewhat lower GPA rather than GRE.  Really, as long as you show you're not completely hopeless when it comes to math and that sort of reasoning, it's just a hurdle you need to pass and then you're over and can be considered based on your actual theory qualifications. What really will matter are your rec letters, writing sample, and personal statement.

I don't do political theory but I'm thinking expectations may vary depending on the program. I was accepted to two programs and visited both. One required theory students to take the full methods sequence and the other only required them to take part of the sequence.

Regardless, I know of someone (doing IR, not theory) who scored roughly at or below 157 in math and was accepted at a top-5 and 2 top-10s.

My quant score was an abysmal 153 and I still got accepted to programs ranked 20ish and I'm not even a theorist.

Just remember that the GRE scores are simply one part of your application and that you should spend time on improving other aspects of your application (like the SOP).

There's definitely hope for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with peternewman89, Quigley and Lemeard. The whole process is incredibly stochastic and it's impossible to say what will matter most to a particular admissions committee at a particular school on the particular day they happen to review your application. It's certainly not an overall deal-breaker, but the rest of the application will have to be strong if you're hoping to beat the odds at the most competitive programs. 

I had a relatively low quant score of 154 and was lucky enough to be accepted to a top 10 program--though I would be surprised if the score wasn't a factor in my low overall acceptance rate of 2/16.

Some schools have strict GRE cutoffs, some schools make admissions decisions literally without even looking at the scores. Truly assess your ability to perform on the GRE math section: was that the best you could do? If it was, accept it, be proud of yourself (that's not a low score!) and apply to your choicest programs, as you do not know how they will assess. (Also, you will save time and money to focus on other aspects!) If you know you can do better and it would make you feel better to retake, then go for that. In this process, it is best to do everything you can that honestly showcases your talents and makes you feel comfortable submitting an application.

• 5 years later...

Hi, I wanto to apply to various Ph.D's in Political Science (UCLA, UCSD, USC, UCI, UCSB, PITT) but I don't know how horrible are my scores to be accepted in those universities.

My GRE scores are:

145 V

154 Q

I also have an horrible TOEFL of 88 

I'm going to take the TOEFL again in november and I am also planning to take again the GRE.

Help, please

Edited by PolSciStud

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, PolSciStud said:

Hi, I wanto to apply to various Ph.D's in Political Science (UCLA, UCSD, USC, UCI, UCSB, PITT) but I don't know how horrible are my scores to be accepted in those universities.

My GRE scores are:

145 V

154 Q

I also have an horrible TOEFL of 88 

I'm going to take the TOEFL again in november and I am also planning to take again the GRE.

Help, please

ok... so.....145 on verbal is definitely low, and you need to retake, international students applying to social sciences programs should at least get 155 on both sections. Wven though sometimes schools will notice that you are not using English as your first language, 145 will hurt your chances, big time.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:09 AM, jessideng said:

ok... so.....145 on verbal is definitely low, and you need to retake, international students applying to social sciences programs should at least get 155 on both sections. Wven though sometimes schools will notice that you are not using English as your first language, 145 will hurt your chances, big time.

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I have already arranged for taking the exam again.

One thing: I forgot to mention that my GPA is 4 and that I scored 3.5 in Analytical writing.

Do you believe this might help me a little bit?

1 hour ago, PolSciStud said:

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I have already arranged for taking the exam again.

One thing: I forgot to mention that my GPA is 4 and that I scored 3.5 in Analytical writing.

Do you believe this might help me a little bit?

I could see it going both ways. There's two ways at looking at it. Either 

1. Your GPA makes it clear that you are capable and just not great at standardized tests 

2. Your GRE makes it clear your college was too easy and a 4.0 where you are would be a lot lower if you went to a different university. 

If you go somewhere very prestigious, it will probably be 1. Otherwise, probably 2.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I've got 166 in verbal but only 154 in math, and I want to apply to political theory and also to philosophy departments (most don't require GRE). What do you think about my chances, do I have any? I have a MA in PolSci with theory specialization from Central European University (CGPA 3.74), also an LLM from Bangladesh's top university with 3.71 (it's actually pretty high in Bangladesh), but my LLB score is really, really bad (3.02)...

Edited by Nmr1