How large are your cohorts?

Just curious how large everyone's cohorts are.  I'm starting in the fall and I'm all but certain that there will be 7 others starting with me in the fall; one other theorist, 1 or 2 Comparativists and 3 or 4 Americanists.  How are everyone else's cohorts? 

I'm pretty sure I've got about the same size as yours. We've got 8-10ish: 3 IR people that I know of, at least 1 theorist, and the rest are a mix of American and Comparative.

My incoming cohort has 10 people. 

It is my impression that somewhere between 8-15 tends to be the norm for most programs. Although there are some, like Emory, who take even fewer.

My cohort (2011) was five, including me. I'd classify one as clearly IR and one as clearly theory, the others more unclear (I'm Comparative/Canadian). The year before me was also five, last year was an anomaly in that we only had three, and I've been told there are seven this coming fall, though it's hard to know until they actually matriculate.  

My cohort (2011) was five, including me. I'd classify one as clearly IR and one as clearly theory, the others more unclear (I'm Comparative/Canadian). The year before me was also five, last year was an anomaly in that we only had three, and I've been told there are seven this coming fall, though it's hard to know until they actually matriculate.  

This is in Canada? Are cohorts smaller there?

This is in Canada? Are cohorts smaller there?

Yes, this is in Canada. I'm at a mid-size university up here (~20,000 undergrads, 5,000 grad students), but I believe that this size cohort is quite typical for all but the largest universities, where the cohorts are perhaps 15 or so.   

12-14 for my program for at least the past three years; a number of years back it was closer to 18-20.

I like how the acronym for the program that collected OSU's data is PRISM.

Hahaha, yes. I wonder if they'll be dropping the acronym!

In Emory, we have 7 this year. 2 Comparativists, 2 Americanists, 3 IR.

Emory is awesome with smaller cohorts. Almost in their fifth year has a publication coauthored with a faculty. 

Cohort size within subfields is an interesting one--many of the places I was accepted have 1 or 0 theorists each year. Seems like that's what you all indicate above as well.

Edited by dworkable

It is my understanding that theory is the subfield in which there are fewer and fewer job openings. Most departments seem to keep very few theorists on the faculty (simply having one is not uncommon). From this perspective it makes sense that few theorists are admitted.