Help! Grad school or no grad school?!

steffy_stef

Hello everyone! I would first like to thank the people who read this because it will be lengthy! I really have no one to go to to discuss grad school. I'm contemplating whether or not to go. I was so set on grad school for either a PsyD or PhD in child clinical psychology until I started looking into programs and reading personal experiences. I know grad school is different for everybody, and the conclusion to all of this is making the best out of your program. But in reality, there are many other factors stopping me.

I'm a recent grad from UC Santa Barbara and I majored in Psychology and minored in Applied Psychology. I graduated in 3 years with an overall GPA of 2.97. With that alone, I feel discoruaged in applying to psychology programs. Statistically, my GPA doesn't compare, but I have heard stories of students with low GPAs still getting into good programs. The other issue is the little (I think) experience I have to help my image. I did have two RA postitions my last year at UCSB and volunteered as a child care provider in a child abuse mediation center for a while. I graduated last year and decided to take a break before really looking into programs. During that year, I worked as an after school teacher for a third grade class hoping that would look good on my resume. Now I'm jobless, looking into grad schools and feeling discouraged. Financially, I'm about $40 grand in debt already for undergrad and can't even begin paying off that debt. I'm living home with my parents who also can barely keep up with their own payments but tell me that I shouldn't even worry about that if my dream is going to grad school. I'm only 21, but I'm feeling pressured into all of this. But when I tell myself that I don't need to go to grad school, then I feel lost because I do have my heart set with doing something more within psychology.

And with letters of rec, that's a whole other issue. I definitely have one from the professor I was a RA for, the other professor I worked for never responded to my email about helping me out with a letter of rec, and I don't really have anyone else because I never established a relationship with them.

SO much infortmation, I know. But I just want people's input on my situation. Am I being too hopeful? Am I really cut out for grad school if I'm already stressing like this beforehand or does eveyone go through this? People frown upon some PsyD programs but I personally feel like that will be my only option considering my grades but I also like the clinical aspect of psychology more than research. And finanically speaking, should I just maybe wait it out and save up for grad school? Go get a masters instead? Help!):

Pressure and insecurity about the future are not good reasons to apply to graduate school. The main thing I gather from reading your post is that you're really not sure of yourself but grad school just seems like the "logical next step." I think you need to get yourself out of this mode and do some soul searching. A good approach is to try and reverse-engineer this problem: what kind of job/career would you like to have in the future? (are you sure? have you talked to people who have similar positions, read about the position, know that you understand what it's really like?) what kind of qualifications do you need to have in order to obtain such a job? does it require a Masters or PhD, and if so, in what field? That is, think of a graduate degree is a means to an end, not a goal in and of itself. Figure out your goals and then how to obtain them. Don't apply to grad school out of inertia -- it's hard enough even when you're very passionate about what you do, and even more if you're not that excited about it to begin with.

r

Pressure and insecurity about the future are not good reasons to apply to graduate school. The main thing I gather from reading your post is that you're really not sure of yourself but grad school just seems like the "logical next step." I think you need to get yourself out of this mode and do some soul searching. A good approach is to try and reverse-engineer this problem: what kind of job/career would you like to have in the future? (are you sure? have you talked to people who have similar positions, read about the position, know that you understand what it's really like?) what kind of qualifications do you need to have in order to obtain such a job? does it require a Masters or PhD, and if so, in what field? That is, think of a graduate degree is a means to an end, not a goal in and of itself. Figure out your goals and then how to obtain them. Don't apply to grad school out of inertia -- it's hard enough even when you're very passionate about what you do, and even more if you're not that excited about it to begin with.

Re-reading my own questions, I do sound like a mess, and I appreciate your input! It may do me some good to look further into other positions that may not require a PhD or PsyD. But I don't want any regrets about never pursuing me first true desire of being a clinical psychologist. It may just be best for me to hit the brakes on grad school for now and take the time to really figure things out. But I am also wondering if there are any grad students who felt this way in the beginning but now have or are attending grad school? What have your experiences been like?

It sounds like you really want to go to grad school but you just don't know if this is the right time in your life to do that. While  you're trying to figure this out, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to work or volunteer in the field to help you attain more clarity regarding your situation. As you have a lower GPA, your GRE scores, LORs and work experience need to need to be stronger than other applicants' applying with better grades. Continue to take your time with this decision, as it is an important one, and in the meantime, use your time wisely. More work experience will only help your situation.

Edited by jenste

I think it is extremely important to ask yourself what are you aiming for if you go do grad school. Everyone should have a reason to go to grad school. If you are in it just for experience, it is not worth. Realistically speaking, two good reasons would be either (i) to find a better job, or (ii) to be a professor. If you are very sure that you can get better job after you get a PhD or Masters (with good pay), then perhaps it is a good idea.

I have wrote a short post on 8 factors that you should consider before going to grad school.

http://controlgradstudy.blogspot.ca/2013/04/factors-to-consider-before-coming-to.html

As for you debt issue, here is my suggestion. Why don't you work for 2 to 3 years and try to see if you can pay them of within that time limit? If you can't, it means chances are you have a tougher time to pay off the debt you accumulated after you finish grad school. It is important to get a sense how the job market is when you have quite a bit of debt.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I am considering graduate school myself, so I am not writing from the position of being in grad school myself. I'm much older than you, and you sound a lot like myself in my early 20s. I was paralyzed by the thought of what to do next. You do sound a bit all over the place, but three factors jumped out at me: 1) you're in debt from undergrad; 2) you feel slightly less qualified for great programs because of your gpa; and 3) you don't feel like you have the references necessary.  Here is what I would advise you, from a point of being a decade older. In some ways, this is what I wish someone had told me.

Go abroad. It may not be in your life plan, but it would solve some of these problems. It's also so much easier to do this now, while you're young and confused, than it is when you're older.  You can get a TEFL degree in six weeks for a bit of money and then use it to teach English - some teaching gigs will even pay for your plane ticket there. You can continue working with children, which is where your interest lies, you can do good in the world, and if you pick the right country, you can live very cheaply and start to pay off debt and/or save money. Though not an academic reference, if you do a good job, your employer will have lots to say about you that's interesting. Plus, it gives you this unique perspective - one you can use to your advantage when it comes time to writing a personal statement. I read undergrad applications for a fancypants university's admissions office one year, and the ones with the slightly-less-stellar academic credentials who beat the odds and made it in, had truly unique experiences or perspectives that made them attractive in the applicant pool. I imagine that's the case for graduate admissions too.

If you're in debt and you're very young, I wouldn't go to graduate school just because you're panicking about life's Next Big Step. The cruel secret is that there is no Next Big Step. Your entire life has been set up for you until this point: go to preschool, get ready for kindergarten, here comes elementary, middle, high school, then college, then....?? It's normal to freak out at this point, because this is the first point in your life where the next stage is up to you, and you can go in many different directions, grad school being just one of these. But I think nothing is lost by taking 2-3 years off to live as an adult before you apply to grad school, esp. if you feel like you need to make yourself more attractive as a candidate. 

1. Don't worry about feeling insecure and nervous about it all.  Applying to grad programs is an exhausting, nerve-wracking, and sometimes borderline degrading (it can feel a lot like begging and being rejected at every turn!) process.  Literally everyone who applies feels the way you're describing.

2. That said, the advice given in the thread so far is good.  Don't go to grad school out of intertia!  It's tons of work, and I think everyone who starts a PhD, at some point, feels like they probably would have been better off not doing it.  What gets you through is the knowledge that it will be worth it in the long run.  So, you need to be really clear on that part before you go in.  Will all the time, effort, stress and money be worth it in the end when you're holding your degree?

Edited by jeffster

i agree with Jeffster in that all advice given thus far has merits. As for wondering whether you should even to grad school or not and stressing out about it, I felt the exact same way last year . After I was accepted I got major cold feet about the commitment, insecure job market when i do finish, if i was cut out ect. I am alot older than you so it isn't quite the same, but I can relate.  Anyway I ended starting a Phd and really enjoy it so far, in a bit of summer slump at the moment, but really at the end of the day I really like my job and feel i made the right choice in the end.

I am doing a PhD in social psyc. In my country that doesn't qualify me to work as a clinical psychologist ( you have to do a professional doctorate to that. I decided I wanted to research and that that was a better option for me. But I do know alot of Clinical psych. 

while I don't think stressing over decision to go grad school is a sign your not cut out for it, I do think you are very young and that maybe as others have suggested getting some invaluable work experience and paying off some debts, maybe incorporating travel into that plan if you can, seems like a good idea.

In my country they rarely accept people your age in Clinical psyc programmes, they want to see life experience, work experience and maturity. I don't know what is like in your country.

It's great that you already have some experience... I guess you just need to reflect on how much you enjoyed it and what aspects you enjoyed. Really ensure this is what you and want and then by all means go for it- come up with a plan, that may include paying off some debts first.

As for you low GPA, I think you need to talk someone, like maybe career advisor in UNI about how much a disadvantage that is and what you can do to offset it ie like work experience or maybe doing an MA and getting good GPA in that would be worthwhile.

In my country they have a cut off of a 2.1-- any lower and your simply not considered. so its worth checking out.

If your gpa is going to hold you back, there are lots of other options- like doing a MA in counselling, social work, organisational psychologist ( in my country you only need a MA to do those jobs).

Good luck with decision and remember time is very much on your side!

Edited by elise123

I would strongly consider a fully-funded Master's program (they are rare, but they do exist), so you don't have to take out more loans (or, at least, can keep them to a minimum). It is possible that a solid Master's GPA will make you more competitive for PhD programs.

There are very few funded, well-regarded PsyD programs; I can name Baylor and Rutgers; others have issues w/r/t accreditation and exorbitant costs. It is better to not get a degree than to go $200k+ in debt when your average starting salary after graduation is @$50k.

Even if you do get a Master's, you will still be exposed to some research. Let's face it - no one comes up with assessments, behavior mod techniques, meds, etc., without testing them, making sure they do whatever it is they claim to do, and so on. 

Are you located in an area where you can work in a psychology lab for a year or two to get more applied experience and a letter of recommendation?

• 3 months later...

the problem here is that too many young people go directly into unemployment after graduation. Are you sure your master degree is going to help in your career? this needs to be considered since going to graduate school is an investment of both time and money.

the problem here is that too many young people go directly into unemployment after graduation. Are you sure your master degree is going to help in your career? this needs to be considered since going to graduate school is an investment of both time and money.

I would consider myself someone that went into unemployment upon getting my undergraduate degree. While it isn't fun here is the little I have learned. I am luckyily gainfully employed now though.

1. You need to be quick on your feet. Be adaptable. Take chances even if you are not doing something even remotely related to what you studied in undergrad.

2. Think about what you want to do. I guess to quote others, soul search. I've found out a lot about myself through this process and it's often kinda fun.

3. Never give up. I've seen too many of my friends kind of roll over and die, figuratively of course. We are all full of potential and sometimes it takes some time to realize it. Sure busing tables is fine for a while, but if you settle and don't aim high, then you are cutting yourself way short.

Hope my advice helps! Just be positive, it is often the best medicine.

Edited by HerrDBoo