MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

For people waiting to hear from VCU, my online status changed today so I called admissions and they said they have reached a decision and it will be mailed out on Monday or Tuesday. The way the online system changes made it look like I was admitted so my heart skipped a beat but she assured me that the only way to know is by mail. So that was a trying experience. Sigh.

For those interested, you can check your online status here.

I have been accepted into Pratt MFA Fine Art with a $15,000 scholarship. Good news but its not really the school I won't to go to. I am still waiting to hear back on a few but from where I have been accepted I would prefer to go to SVA as the program seems much better suited to my practice and my learning style. Also I am a really big fan of a few of the faculty and don't know any of them from Pratt. Also I would much prefer to be in Manhattan everyday as opposed to Brooklyn. But I don't know if its stupid to spend/borrow/whatever about double the money... Don't know what to do right now... Any advice?  :(

Has anyone else been offer admission to SUNY Purchase? I've already passed the deadline for a different program that is waiting on my decision and I think Purchase is the school for me but I won't be able to visit the school. Have anyone visited or went to Interview day at the campus? Any extra insight into the program or its reputation would be fantastic. 

I'm Canadian and I have to make  decision between attending Purchase with some great funding but still not a full ride and staying in Canada where I will be paid for school. I know there's been some discussion on this forum regarding money vs reputation but I feel the decision between schools here that are fantastic programs and schools close to NYC with some debt is more complicated than that. I'm not looking for a clear answer on what to do but maybe more of any thoughts on Purchase SUNY if anyone has any. 

Thanks so much! 

I'm wishing everyone the best of luck in their applications and decision making! 

I would choose Purchase personally. I was very close to applying to their MFA/MA program but saw somewhere that the person I wanted to study with (John Lehr) was going to be on leave in 2015. Even then, the rest of their faculty is top notch, and they seem to have a very strong concentration of artists & musicians studying there. 

I guess it also depends on specifically which Canadian school you get into.

So if I havent heard back from Columbia after I had my interview, does that mean I didn't get in or...

Did anyone who interviewed for Columbia's New Genres get a response?  I'm assuming I got waitlisted...

I assumed too. I applied New Genres and no received anything after had an interview.

For people waiting to hear from VCU, my online status changed today so I called admissions and they said they have reached a decision and it will be mailed out on Monday or Tuesday. The way the online system changes made it look like I was admitted so my heart skipped a beat but she assured me that the only way to know is by mail. So that was a trying experience. Sigh.

For those interested, you can check your online status here.

Hey there,

I can tell you from my experience if you don't get an email or phone call it means rejection. My status changed as well and I called them and got the same response. Emailed the dept and they told me I was rejected... Received the official rejection in the mail later that day.

when this is all over can we compile the most egregious rejection letters? 

i unfortunately deleted the rejection in which they said they "hoped i will continue to pursue art" (as if that rejection was going to dampen it in any way at all)

Popping in after a long time

Status update

5 rejections

1 waitlist - MICA

I also changed to plan C and applied/got into the Creative Circus. It's not a grad program, but an ad school. So there's that.

Hi all, posting here for the first time. I applied to 5 schools and have gotten 2 acceptances so far - CCA for MBA in Design Strategy and Parsons for MFA Design & Technology.

I applied for the dual program at CCA (MFA Design + MBA Design Strategy) but haven't heard back about the MFA program :(  .

On the results page though, I saw someone got into the dual program. Congratulations to you! Can you share how you got notified? Did you have an interview?

Also, I was hoping someone could help me with insights into the course, faculty and location for both the CCA MBA program and MFA D&T at Parsons.

As you can see, these are 2 very varied courses and my only options so far. 

Hey Klp, congratulations !!! Did you receive an email or over the post for RCA?

Contacted them and they told me April 16th date, hope that is not bad news for me.

I had an email, they said post will happen on the 16th "once all the College interviews have been completed" -- so sounds very staggered?

Congrats klp, elinik, and Mauve23!

Yes, congratulations!!

Has anyone here gotten a post interview offer from CalArts for the program in Art? I know photography and media have heard already but I haven't heard anything for Art.

Congrats klp, elinik, and Mauve23!

Yes, congratulations!!

Has anyone here gotten a post interview offer from CalArts for the program in Art? I know photography and media have heard already but I haven't heard anything for Art.

Thanks, ismewilde & kafralal! Feels like I'm dreaming :)

I was interviewed last week, and waiting for a decision in CalArts photo program. I emailed admissions and apparently they'll be sending out more decisions over the next two weeks. It sounds like some people heard already and a lot are still waiting...

Yes, congratulations!!

I was interviewed last week, and waiting for a decision in CalArts photo program. I emailed admissions and apparently they'll be sending out more decisions over the next two weeks. It sounds like some people heard already and a lot are still waiting...

Thanks Anti Leader!

I would choose Purchase personally. I was very close to applying to their MFA/MA program but saw somewhere that the person I wanted to study with (John Lehr) was going to be on leave in 2015. Even then, the rest of their faculty is top notch, and they seem to have a very strong concentration of artists & musicians studying there. 

I guess it also depends on specifically which Canadian school you get into.

@evd thanks for responding! I'm also on a waitlist for Rutgers so I'm going to wait a little longer to respond. It's too bad the cost of living is high in the area surrounding purchase. If it was more affordable my choice would be easy. 

I am personally pretty excited about the option. I like the faculty work there and the structure of the program. They offer TAships and the opportunity to teach a self-designed  class during the MFA, they have a field trip class to NYC and a great visiting artist program that the graduate students are allowed to chime in with suggestions for people to bring in. I'm really happy to be accepted. 

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances, and best of luck for the decision making! I was actually hoping for some advice on my choices.

I've decided to forego Yale - the major factor for me is the three years - in terms of expense definitely but also just time. I've spent five years at architecture school already. Plus, the extra year is just very very hard to sell to my parents, and ultimately they're the ones who're funding this.

I have offers from MFA Design at SVA, and MFA Communications Design at Pratt. While SVA is much more structured than Pratt (I am interested in cross-disciplinary learning so this is something we spoke of during my interviews) - Pratt allows its students to take electives from across the college. Pratt also has a great focus on design as an agent of social change (which I guess the MFA Design for Social Innovation at SVA must offer). On the other hand, the faculty at SVA have been published a lot more - they're always talking about design and society in interesting ways, and their seminars and lecture series seem much, much more exciting. In terms of intellectual content (not the end product or skill development) I suspect (purely from the program websites and faculty profiles) that SVA might have an edge. However, with funding, Pratt is cheaper by about 10k a year, or about 20% of the total cost - which is quite a bit of money if I convert it to INR. Since I can't visit, I have no idea on the students and environment. Am I judging the two institutes correctly? Even if SVA is better, should I just go with the funding?

Many thanks!

Accepted in PARSONS MFA in Design and Technology, with no fundings. Rejected by RISD, MFA Digital Media! God it is damn disappointing......

waiting to hear from CalArts (you wish!), SCAD, SAIC. I had an e-mail from SMFA last week telling me they will contact me, so I guess I am accepted there, but no words of fundings yet.