MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Just wrapped up a 15 minute Skype interview with a panel of professors at CU Boulder- It went by so fast, but they really asked a lot and threw some curveballs at me. Good feedback and some reasonable critiques, which I agreed with but had a hard time responding to. Can't remember a thing I said, just hope it made sense!

I'm amazed by those of you that have done several of these interviews, some lasting up to an hour! Do you ever feel good afterwards?

Thanks, ismewilde! And belated congrats on CMU. It's fun watching things work out for people here. 

In other news, Goldsmiths advises that we will hear final post-interview decisions "by the end of April." Ugh. Not sure how to deal with that. 

Thanks! By the end of April ?!?!? That is a very long time to wait! I guess if you think you want to go there it may be worth it?

Today, I was asked to set up an interview with UConn. Yesterday, I was rejected from U of Minnesota. I'm still waiting on four other schools, let's hope we can all stop this waiting game soon! 

U Delaware: accepted, full funding + stipend

U Conn: interview 3/24

UC Davis: rejected

U Wisconsin: rejected (accepted last year, declined)

U Minnesota: rejected

Ohio U:

Ohio State:

VCU:

Washington State:

Florida State: (accepted last year, declined)

I got in to PennDesign, but didn't get enough funding to attend. This is so depressing, but Congrats to everyone who got in and can attend!

Eeee, sorry to hear that. I didn't get any financial info from them yet -- my fafsa's been held up -- but I've heard it can be pretty grim.

Thanks! By the end of April ?!?!? That is a very long time to wait! I guess if you think you want to go there it may be worth it?

I know! And their app was the earliest one due for me, too. (January 1st). I definitely can't turn down my other options based on something that may or may not work out. 

Hey so I checked my.newschool.edu too... it says congratulations...BUT newschool.askadmissions.net has not been updated. 

When I called them a few minutes ago...they said that we would hear via snail mail and that they couldnt confirm or deny application status!!

Im so stressed! Am I just being paranoid to think that the my.newschool site is bugged??!!!

Ahh! 

It doesnt help that my interview was quite a disaster :(

Hi, my interview was not great so I was skeptical about the message on the portal site. I wish they were able to confirm it on the phone. I still remain in doubt about this but in the reslts page I found that one person posted accepted via postal service and comment "The result is the same with website" so hopefully we will get the desired results.

Please post it when you get the snail mail. I am an international aplicant so the mail will take a while.

I got in to PennDesign, but didn't get enough funding to attend. This is so depressing, but Congrats to everyone who got in and can attend!

I know how you feel. I'm probably going to decline my offers to UMD and SVA because they aren't giving me shit. Good news to anyone wait listed at those schools.

If anyone else has applied to RISD painting and hasn't heard back, they said that they would be notifying no later than the 24th. Just a heads up.

Heyy, when did you get the result of MICA?

I heard they might send it today or through this weekend. But did you get it already? Ohhh

Hi, I got it on the 14th through email.

I withdrew my application from Columbia College Chicago (MFA Interdisciplinary Book and Paper Arts), so that should open up a spot for any of you on the Waiting List.

Also, have any of you received wait list or rejection notification from SAIC for Printmaking?  At this point, I have heard nothing and am preparing to withdraw my applications from SAIC, UNC-Chapel Hill (still no word), and Indiana University (also no word)-- 98% sure I will accept my offer from University of Wisconsin-Madison.

i guess the departments are different, i got this email back today...

"We are completing our review process this week and final decisions will be made shortly. I will be in contact soon."

hmmm, either way, it's taking a really long time and i have to make decisions soon.

Yes it is taking a long time. I got a similar email as you on the same day. Decisions must be coming soon. Would be nice to know when thought.

Hi everyone,

So far  I have been a (mostly) silent reader of this forum, but I want thank you guys for posting and sharing it really helped pacify me on many many days. 

Also, congratulations on all the news...I guess now comes the time for tough decsions.

I need to decide between SAIC MFA (Performance Dept) and Parsons - MFA (Fine Art)

SAIC is not giving me any aid and I will appeal but its unlikely to be much. Also their TA program doesnt seem work study based (I am still waiting to hear back from Parsons on aid) 

I am an international student so I actually cannot visit any of these schools. I really need the college to be great at networking and want to make the most of my two years in the US.

Also, I would like to have had teaching experience after my MFA. 

I would reaaaaallly appreciate any thoughts any one has on making this decision. 

So far I get the sense that not choosing SAIC would be a little crazy because of its rankings ...But please share any thoughts that come to mind...I need to think this through. 

Thanks guys...

Edited by Hopeful!

Hi everyone,

So far  I have been a (mostly) silent reader of this forum, but I want thank you guys for posting and sharing it really helped pacify me on many many days. 

Also, congratulations on all the news...I guess now comes the time for tough decsions.

I need to decide between SAIC MFA (Performance Dept) and Parsons - MFA (Fine Art)

SAIC is not giving me any aid and I will appeal but its unlikely to be much. Also their TA program doesnt seem work study based (I am still waiting to hear back from Parsons on aid) 

I am an international student so I actually cannot visit any of these schools. I really need the college to be great at networking and want to make the most of my two years in the US.

Also, I would like to have had teaching experience after my MFA. 

I would reaaaaallly appreciate any thoughts any one has on making this decision. 

So far I get the sense that not choosing SAIC would be a little crazy because of its rankings ...But please share any thoughts that come to mind...I need to think this through. 

Thanks guys...

Hey Hopeful,

I'm in a similar situation! I have to decide between Parsons and SAIC (for photo). SAIC is my top choice, and Parsons is my second. I haven't received funding info from SAIC yet, but Parsons gave me a reeeeeaallly good deal. I'm pretty torn because I love NY and want to stay here, but SAIC is just such a great school. My plan is to wait it out and see what happens funding-wise.

I went to interview at/tour both schools. Both are well located in their cities and easy to get to via public transportation. Parsons has great facilities, and as part of the New School has a lot of extras to offer students: Free language classes (!), a writing center (super helpful), and a lot of talks--not just in the arts, but in a number if disciplines. SAIC's faculty are top notch, and it has bigger, nicer facilities than Parsons. SAIC has a very conceptual focus, which I didn't quite see at Parsons (again, this is for photo, which is separate from the Fine Arts dept. at Parsons). Chicago doesn't have as much art stuff going on as NY, but keep in mind that Chicago rent is WAY cheaper than NY. Without funding at either school, tuition at SAIC is a few thousand dollars more expensive than Parsons per year.  I feel like the cost of living in NY might even out the cost difference between the schools, though. NY does have a lot more to offer in terms of art talks, shows, openings, etc, but is also a very distracting city to live in since there are always a million things going on. I hope this helps a bit! It's a really tough choice.

Hey Hopeful,

I'm in a similar situation! I have to decide between Parsons and SAIC (for photo). SAIC is my top choice, and Parsons is my second. I haven't received funding info from SAIC yet, but Parsons gave me a reeeeeaallly good deal. I'm pretty torn because I love NY and want to stay here, but SAIC is just such a great school. My plan is to wait it out and see what happens funding-wise.

I went to interview at/tour both schools. Both are well located in their cities and easy to get to via public transportation. Parsons has great facilities, and as part of the New School has a lot of extras to offer students: Free language classes (!), a writing center (super helpful), and a lot of talks--not just in the arts, but in a number if disciplines. SAIC's faculty are top notch, and it has bigger, nicer facilities than Parsons. SAIC has a very conceptual focus, which I didn't quite see at Parsons (again, this is for photo, which is separate from the Fine Arts dept. at Parsons). Chicago doesn't have as much art stuff going on as NY, but keep in mind that Chicago rent is WAY cheaper than NY. Without funding at either school, tuition at SAIC is a few thousand dollars more expensive than Parsons per year.  I feel like the cost of living in NY might even out the cost difference between the schools, though. NY does have a lot more to offer in terms of art talks, shows, openings, etc, but is also a very distracting city to live in since there are always a million things going on. I hope this helps a bit! It's a really tough choice.

How did you find out about funding from Parsons?

How did you find out about funding from Parsons?

I logged on to the application website (apply yourself) and there was a link to view my decision status. It had my acceptance letter there.

Rejected from VCU and UPenn but accepted into MICA Mount Royal!

Deciding between MICA, Temple, OSU, and Boston University. Wait listed at the U of M.

If anyone has advice about these programs please throw it my way! Or any opinions regarding funding vs reputation. I am intensely conflicted/happy/terrified. 

Rejected from VCU and UPenn but accepted into MICA Mount Royal!

Deciding between MICA, Temple, OSU, and Boston University. Wait listed at the U of M.

If anyone has advice about these programs please throw it my way! Or any opinions regarding funding vs reputation. I am intensely conflicted/happy/terrified. 

It's very simple.  You go wherever you get full funding.  That overrides all other considerations.

I'm noticing other people who are trying to decide what choice to make.  As a grizzled old professional, I'm telling you: you must go for the money.  Do not go into debt to get an MFA.  That might be worth it for an MD, but there's not such a clear return on investment with art professions.  If you're accepted several places, but no one gives funding, you should skip it and re-apply to other schools next year.  One possible exception might be if you're going to an in-state school with relatively low tuition.  But even in that case, you should expect some kind of assistance--a T.A. or something. 

Plus, these schools need to know--if they want to get good students, they have to pay for them.

It's very simple.  You go wherever you get full funding.  That overrides all other considerations.

I'm noticing other people who are trying to decide what choice to make.  As a grizzled old professional, I'm telling you: you must go for the money.  Do not go into debt to get an MFA.  That might be worth it for an MD, but there's not such a clear return on investment with art professions.  If you're accepted several places, but no one gives funding, you should skip it and re-apply to other schools next year.  One possible exception might be if you're going to an in-state school with relatively low tuition.  But even in that case, you should expect some kind of assistance--a T.A. or something. 

Plus, these schools need to know--if they want to get good students, they have to pay for them.

This was exactly what I needed to hear. Letting funding make the decision for me takes away some of the stress.

I'm amazed at how much debt people here seem to be willing to go into for an art degree.  They'll never be able to pay all that money back.