MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Way to go!

I am also considering & most likely going to SFAI--how did you find about the fellowship?

Good luck with MassArt, and maybe see you next year at SFAI!

Hey, thanks! I got an email today about it. It's certainly a game changer for me. I'll most likely see you next year :D

Hey, thanks! I got an email today about it. It's certainly a game changer for me. I'll most likely see you next year :D

sarlizabeth, is Columbia College not offering you funding? I hear they have a wonderful photo program. Have you visited them?

sarlizabeth, is Columbia College not offering you funding? I hear they have a wonderful photo program. Have you visited them?

Hi!

I have done a tour of their facilities and I know some instructors there. I really like it and I love Chicago, but I haven't heard about funding yet. Do you think it's bad etiquette to ask them? They are having an admitted grad student day on April 4th, which I plan on attending. It's just, I have to let SFAI know whether or not I'll accept their offer. And I was still holding out for MassArt, too. Decisions, decisions...

I don't think it is bad etiquette to ask about funding- you need to know. I also do not think it would be a bad idea to email MassArt and see where you stand with them. 

Has anyone that got into SAIC Painting heard about funding yet? If so did it come via snail mail, phone, email?  Thanks!

San Jose State: Accepted 2/22 via phone

OTIS: Accepted 2/25 via postal service + 10,000 scholarship

SFAI: notified by email 1/29 for 2/22 interview, accepted 3/6/14 via email

CCA: notified by email 2/5 for 2/33 interview, accepted 3/4/14 had to log on to online portal with instructions above

SAIC: notified 2/4 by email for 3/1 interview, accepted via snail mail 3/11/14

Yale: Rejected 1/31 via email and online application site

Hunter: rejected 3/3 via email 

UCLA: Assumed rejected

USC: Assumed ryejected

UC Berkeley: Assumed rejected

Claremont: ??

sea salt: why are you assuming rejection from UC Berkeley?

I just was offered a $30,000/yr fellowship to SFAI. They want me to tell them my decision by the 26th, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice school (MassArt). WHY ARE DECISIONS HARD!

Do you guys think if I called/emailed MassArt and told them my situation, and that I received an offer from another school, but that they're my first choice school, if they could tell me if a decision has been made? (I know that sentence structure sucks, but I'm too anxious to fix it.)

Hey congratulations!  That is wonderful news.  If I were you, I would wait till around the 20th and if there's no word from massart then I would call MassArt and ask.  At the latest I'd at least call on the 24th, monday, cause maybe they won't be able to tell you right away when you call... so you probably want to give them a few days before your deadline for SFAI.  Good luck! 

Edited by alexandria

I interviewed for MFA visual communication design but I was rejected at the final. The school was just awesome and the ranking of SAIC is also pretty high level.

Thanks! Were you a student at SAIC last year? In which department, and for what program?

Admission Status
Application Review Timeline
  • Undergraduate Spring Term: October 1
  • Undergraduate Fall Term: November 1
  • Graduate Fall Term: February 1
  •  
  •  
  • Notification
    • Undergraduate decision notifications are mailed within two weeks of a decision rendered.
    • Graduate decision notifications are mailed mid-March.
You may use your browser's print feature to print this view.

Academic Program Received Status As of Start Term

FDRPT.MFA

01/06/14

Congratulations - Admitted

03/06/14

2014FA

This is CCA webadvisor.

Am I really admitted? I can't believe it because They did not asked me an interview. So I thought I rejected...

Edited by Lee00

sea salt: why are you assuming rejection from UC Berkeley?

Someone else on the thread said they already had interviews.  Most of the UC's seem to have already done interviews if not offers.  Have you heard otherwise?

SFAI: notified by email 1/29 for 2/22 interview, accepted 3/6/14 via email, 3/12/14 notified of fellowship recipient

CCA: notified by email 2/5 for 2/33 interview, accepted 3/4/14 had to log on to online portal with instructions above

UCLA: Rejected via email/website 3/11/14

USC: Assumed rejected

Checking in to vent my nerves- I'm going to NCECA in Milwaukee next week (ceramics conference) and every school I ever applied to is going to be there. I'm going to have to talk to the dozens of people who personally rejected me over the past two years and act like I'm thrilled to disclose and discuss my continual failure with them.

It would never be enough to stop me from going, but it does add a thick dose of anxiety to the whole thing. :/ I know being rejected from grad school isn't personal... but it's still not easy to know you're going to have to talk to the people who decided five days into the selection process that your work is unacceptable.

Someone else on the thread said they already had interviews.  Most of the UC's seem to have already done interviews if not offers.  Have you heard otherwise?

SFAI: notified by email 1/29 for 2/22 interview, accepted 3/6/14 via email, 3/12/14 notified of fellowship recipient

UCLA: Rejected via email/website 3/11/14

USC: Assumed rejected

Ok... im not sure. I called their art dept and they said they are sending out letters any day now... but who knows what that really means. you seem to be one of the only california based applicants, what school are you leaning toward now?

Ok... im not sure. I called their art dept and they said they are sending out letters any day now... but who knows what that really means. you seem to be one of the only california based applicants, what school are you leaning toward now?

Hate to bear the bad news, but their admit recruit day is this weekend, so if you haven't heard from them... That letter's probably not an acceptance. Though I don't know how they notify wait listed people...

Checking in to vent my nerves- I'm going to NCECA in Milwaukee next week (ceramics conference) and every school I ever applied to is going to be there. I'm going to have to talk to the dozens of people who personally rejected me over the past two years and act like I'm thrilled to disclose and discuss my continual failure with them.

It would never be enough to stop me from going, but it does add a thick dose of anxiety to the whole thing. :/ I know being rejected from grad school isn't personal... but it's still not easy to know you're going to have to talk to the people who decided five days into the selection process that your work is unacceptable.

Try to mentally turn your head around from thinking about failure & rejection, into thinking you have the chance to create new opportunities for yourself.

Positive attracts positive, you might make some contacts or have a conversation that will open up a new avenue for you -- but in a negative frame of mind you wouldn't notice... You can do it! You have something to offer. It's all about true grit :)

I really liked the members of faculty I met/spoke with at sfai. That's why I applied. I may defer and go the following year.

Admission Status

Application Review Timeline

• Undergraduate Spring Term: October 1
  • Undergraduate Fall Term: November 1
  • Graduate Fall Term: February 1
  •  
  •  
  • Notification

• Undergraduate decision notifications are mailed within two weeks of a decision rendered.
  • Graduate decision notifications are mailed mid-March.

You may use your browser's print feature to print this view

Academic Program Received Status As of Start Term

FDRPT.MFA

01/06/14

Congratulations - Admitted

03/06/14

2014FA

This is CCA webadvisor.

Am I really admitted? I can't believe it because They did not asked me an interview. So I thought I rejected...

Admission Status[/

This is CCA webadvisor.

Yes, it is. I got the same thing and confirms with the director of graduate admissions. Letters should be arriving next week.

Wow, just got a really late interview request from UIC! So if you haven't heard anything from a school, don't lose hope! 

Edited by JoJoYang

Has anyone heard from IU's painting program yet?

No and it's driving me nuts... But next week is their Spring Break, so I'm hoping they'll use that time to finalize?

Just got an email from Sculpture + Extended Media at VCU!!! AAAh!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Does anyone have any clues on what the funding situation is like at the school?

anyone care to contribute any interview PEP TALK/advice?

Hi czarina! Some things I have learned from the interviews I've had so far 1) Know your influences 2) Keep a mental tally of what you are involved these days (things you are reading / researching / making) 3) Maybe this is just a problem with me, but sometimes I get very carried away with one topic, and then the whole interview becomes about that, making me seem unidimensional, with just one interest, rather than someone who is open and interested in change.... I think this happened during my yale interview, and I kept that in mind during the others. 4) related to that, if you are insecure about something related to your work, find a way of talking about it without sounding defensive 5) think of some good questions to ask in the end. A whole interview can be great, but this is sort of the last thing that happens and stays on one's mind.  /// If you go through the forum, there are several threads on interview questions, and I found it VERY useful to go through them and answer them, just casually, just to reacquaint myself with my feelings about art/my art, since I've been out of school for a bit. Other than that, I think the best approach for me was to treat this like a conversation where I do have control over where the discussion goes, and not be scared. Every interviewer I have spoken to has been very kind and curious to know more. 

Just got an email from Sculpture + Extended Media at VCU!!! AAAh!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Does anyone have any clues on what the funding situation is like at the school?

Congrats to you too!

Yes, it is. I got the same thing and confirms with the director of graduate admissions. Letters should be arriving next week.

Any clue what "application under review" might mean on the CCA webadvisor?? I assuming a rejection, at this point they're the last school I'm waiting on, just want this whole process to be OVER!