MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Back from the WUSTL open house. Not sure it's the program for me BUT they offered a surprisingly large wad of scholarship money. Hmmmm.

Some notes:

-Some of the most extensive facilities I've seen, especially for printmaking/book arts.
-Big dedicated art library.
-Beautiful museum space which hosts the MFA show.
-Studios large but lacking doors/curtains.

-Program seemed to skew a little young. Maybe a quarter of admits were in the last year of undergrad, and several more were one year out.

-Huge park; lots of neighborhoods

Hey guys!

I applied for MFA Graphic design MICA, Cal arts, and CCA

Does anyone get a final result from these schools?

I heard that can get the result on 14th from MICA. But I don't have any idea about other schools.

If anyone get, let me know!)

semi-congrats? 

So, you have been accepted to your dream program- in part.... please celebrate what you have received thus far. To me, it would be incredibly difficult to complete an MFA and another degree at the same time because the MFA is extremely time consuming. If you don't get into it, perhaps you can follow with that after you complete your MA?

Thanks. I was processing some awful personal stuff last week when I posted that. I have hope for the future now instead of just bleak despair. <3

Got the phone call from Carnegie Mellon today! John Carson, the head of the department, called me himself and let me know I've been accepted!!!!

:D

Wow! Extremely thrilled!

He said funding information was forthcoming and would be including in the official letter.

Edited by ismewilde

does anyone have any post-interview SMFA news? I'm anxious.  It seems last few years they notified around the 15th via snail mail but in previous years they used to call. 

Just got rejected from University of Mass, Dartmouth and wait-listed for Maine College of Art, I still haven't heard back from PennDesign (who is posting decisions on friday), UMBC, Brockport, and University of Colorado but for some reason it just feel like I just didn't make the cut because I bombed my UPenn interview and sort of feel like my portfolio is really weak. I am trying to look at all of this as a chance to work on my portfolio for another year but the rejection really really sucks...

ACCEPTED (via email)!  - SVA Illustration as Visual Essay.  

(It's my third year applying, and last year  I was wait-listed.)

Pretty insanely giddy right now.

does anyone have any post-interview SMFA news? I'm anxious.  It seems last few years they notified around the 15th via snail mail but in previous years they used to call. 

Nope, I noticed that too. I thought about calling Chuck but I assume we should just wait. If you do call let me know what he has to say.

Nope, I noticed that too. I thought about calling Chuck but I assume we should just wait. If you do call let me know what he has to say.

Hey I noticed you had your interview for Glasgow today, how did it go? I had mine on the 28th.

Hey I noticed you had your interview for Glasgow today, how did it go? I had mine on the 28th.

I think it went well. I was a bit nervous so I fumbled around a little bit but I did the best I could. John and Graham said that some of the last decisions should be out by the end of the week depending on how busy the administration is. I hope I get in, GSA sounds really cool and I've been to Glasgow before and I really enjoyed it when I was out there.

Edited by BetweenTheLines

Also, if anyone else has applied to NYAA, I called this morning and they said emails will be sent out by the end of day today. :unsure:

Thanks....good to know. Good luck!

I think it went well. I was a bit nervous so I fumbled around a little bit but I did the best I could. John and Graham said that some of the last decisions should be out by the end of the week depending on how busy the administration is. I hope I get in, GSA sounds really cool and I've been to Glasgow before and I really enjoyed it when I was out there.

I felt much the same! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was nervous! Did you have a phone interview or was it in person? Mine was in person and they basically said when I entered the room, I could decide what to talk about, no initial question. I was not expecting that!

They said two weeks, three weeks max when I was there so end of this week sounds good. Fingers crossed we both get in!!

I felt much the same! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was nervous! Did you have a phone interview or was it in person? Mine was in person and they basically said when I entered the room, I could decide what to talk about, no initial question. I was not expecting that!

They said two weeks, three weeks max when I was there so end of this week sounds good. Fingers crossed we both get in!!

I did a phone interview. Unfortunately I coulden't afford to fly to Glasgow just for an interview, though that would have been fun. I was also thrown off by them not asking a question but I think I pulled through okay. Best of luck Echo!  

Rejected from Hunter! Accepted into Temple! They want me to decide in two weeks. I've asked for an extension. I feel like I need to roadtrip up there before I can make the final decision. So far deciding between OSU and Temple. I'm still waiting to hear back from MICA, VCU, Boston, Purchase, and the U of M. kasdhkajshdj. 

Can anyone shed light on this paragraph out of my letter from OSU? I'm trying to get a clear picture of what they are offering. 

"In addition to your monthly pay stipend, you will receive the benefit of fee

authorization waiving resident or nonresident instructional fees and tuition for autumn

and spring semesters. By completing two consecutive semesters (autumn & spring) as

a G.T.A. during an academic year, you also receive an automatic (summer) tuition

waiver."

You might have answered this at some point.. but how did you hear from OSU? Email? Also what program did you apply for. 

osu's funding is awesome. I sat down and talked to the head of the dept a couple month back. He's totally cool and talked about how pretty much all admitted get funding + stipend. and it was a decent amount (over a grand a month) I met some of the students there as well. They're all super nice and talked to me about the program. Def worth a trip out there. If you go there and have questions about the area let me know. (I live down the street from campus) :)

I did a phone interview. Unfortunately I coulden't afford to fly to Glasgow just for an interview, though that would have been fun. I was also thrown off by them not asking a question but I think I pulled through okay. Best of luck Echo!

Phone interviews can be good, you can have bullet points beside you and they can't visually see the nerves!

I decided to start with "why I wanted to go to GSA" and I think there was a bit of bad cop/good cop going on as one said sharply "really? You're gonna start there?!". I tried to laugh it off and continue.

Best of luck!

I interviewed with MassArt for photo about 2 weeks ago, and my status on my application went from "Interview" to "Reviewed"...I wonder if that's good or bad...has anyone who has interviewed with MassArt found out anything yet?

Feeling very relieved and grateful, got accepted to Cranbrook. Had to read the email a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Good luck to everyone else out there! Now I can start worrying how to pay for it. The GI Bill won't cover it all... :)

Feeling very relieved and grateful, got accepted to Cranbrook. Had to read the email a few times to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Good luck to everyone else out there! Now I can start worrying how to pay for it. The GI Bill won't cover it all... :)

Congratulations!