MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

So I have been reading through different posts about grad school throughout the whole application process.. but I am finally posting something on here. This was my first time applying to grad school. I was surprised to be accepted into two programs, but now I have to decide which one to attend. I thought the waiting part was hard, but choosing a school is proving to be just at difficult. Does anyone have any advice when it comes to choosing which school to attend?!?!?.. Or any insights on how anyone made their own decision on which to attend?? Any insights would be much appreciated!

Indiana is such a great program! I am a little biased only because I do not know much about ohio state....when did you get accepted?

Indiana is such a great program! I am a little biased only because I do not know much about ohio state....when did you get accepted?

I was accepted to Indiana via email from the head of the department on Feb 13th and then recieved my official letter the next week.. and then Ohio I had an interview and then got the call last week

Have any Indiana University printmaking candidates heard anything yet?

People seem to have heard from Ceramics and Photo, but I haven't seen anything from Printmaking.

Edited by pulpandink

So I have been reading through different posts about grad school throughout the whole application process.. but I am finally posting something on here. This was my first time applying to grad school. I was surprised to be accepted into two programs, but now I have to decide which one to attend. I thought the waiting part was hard, but choosing a school is proving to be just at difficult. Does anyone have any advice when it comes to choosing which school to attend?!?!?.. Or any insights on how anyone made their own decision on which to attend?? Any insights would be much appreciated!

I'm in the same boat! I've been talking to my undergrad professors about this choice and they've helped me make some important choices.

First: funding. My all time favorite professor told me that he wanted to go to one university more than another but the other offered him full tuition + TA  and he said graduating without any debt was amazing. And he got a full tenure track right out of his masters. (awesome) so not going to the higher ranked one didn't hurt him at all. He encouraged me to go where the money is. 

My OTHER much respected professor went to a private college and never had a TA position and I'm assuming had to pay a lot.. also got a tenure track right away. He was big on the school, and really getting a feel for how well you would do at the program. And of course, the professors you would be working with. He also was big on rank. (Although personally I have a bias against ranking for things fine arts related.. art degrees are so subjective and about personal development..)

Other than that I am from Ohio so I might be able to shed some light on the Athens area. Everyone at OU loves it, I didn't go there.. but undergrads seems to be all about it. It's a pretty rural area, so you can't hate some cornfields. You're not to far from Cleveland, which has good and bad parts too it, and you're not all the far from Columbus, which is the greatest city in the Midwest (clearly bias.. it has a GREAT art scene) Ohio cities are big on arts, and we are way more hip than people probably think. 

I don't know anything about Indiana. 

Hope that helped. 

I just got accepted to the University of Florida for their Mass Communications program, which I accepted. It was the only school that I applied to for a MA instead of an MFA. And, I couldn't be more pleased to attend. They have by far been the single most responsive, professional and helpful school out of all that I have applied to - and that matters to me. Incredibly excited, and wished I would have saved my application money on the MFA degree programs and went straight for the MA because it fits me better. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats, BLR! I agree, the responsiveness and help on their end makes a huge difference. Best of luck in sunny Florida! (I'm strongly considering a move there myself… can't do another one of these pothole-laden Michigan winters) 

Yesterday, I got a grand tour of the painting facilities at Syracuse via Skype. It was kind of bizarre to be a disembodied voice floating from room to room on the professor's cell phone, but what an eye-opening visit! The studios are spacious and skylit, the graduate work was ambitious and exciting, and the campus (even seen through a window) was very reminiscent of Hogwarts. Great exhibition spaces, impressive work from undergraduates, and an extensive collection of art all housed in the same spot. I'd be happy to go there, but the funding is a big factor for me and (being a private school) I'm not sure there's as much to go around. Still waiting to hear more… just curious if anyone else out there is considering Syracuse for painting, has visited the school, or has any other insight into the program?

I'm in the same boat! I've been talking to my undergrad professors about this choice and they've helped me make some important choices.

First: funding. My all time favorite professor told me that he wanted to go to one university more than another but the other offered him full tuition + TA  and he said graduating without any debt was amazing. And he got a full tenure track right out of his masters. (awesome) so not going to the higher ranked one didn't hurt him at all. He encouraged me to go where the money is. 

My OTHER much respected professor went to a private college and never had a TA position and I'm assuming had to pay a lot.. also got a tenure track right away. He was big on the school, and really getting a feel for how well you would do at the program. And of course, the professors you would be working with. He also was big on rank. (Although personally I have a bias against ranking for things fine arts related.. art degrees are so subjective and about personal development..)

Other than that I am from Ohio so I might be able to shed some light on the Athens area. Everyone at OU loves it, I didn't go there.. but undergrads seems to be all about it. It's a pretty rural area, so you can't hate some cornfields. You're not to far from Cleveland, which has good and bad parts too it, and you're not all the far from Columbus, which is the greatest city in the Midwest (clearly bias.. it has a GREAT art scene) Ohio cities are big on arts, and we are way more hip than people probably think. 

I don't know anything about Indiana. 

Hope that helped. 

Thanks for the advice!.. Yea I definitiely am comparing funding.. but am still struggling because both schools are offering me full tuition remission.. a GA at one and a TA at the other so I just have to see which offer is better in the long run..

and yes I did a lot of research on the colleges when i applied I love cornfields and dont like big cities like New York.. I grew up in the middle of nowhere so that was a perk for me..

And my other issue is I love the work of the teachers that run both programs.. so now I am going to visit the school and hope that helps my decision!

Thank you again.. and its good to know that they are big on art in Ohio!

Thanks for the advice!.. Yea I definitiely am comparing funding.. but am still struggling because both schools are offering me full tuition remission.. a GA at one and a TA at the other so I just have to see which offer is better in the long run..

and yes I did a lot of research on the colleges when i applied I love cornfields and dont like big cities like New York.. I grew up in the middle of nowhere so that was a perk for me..

And my other issue is I love the work of the teachers that run both programs.. so now I am going to visit the school and hope that helps my decision!

Thank you again.. and its good to know that they are big on art in Ohio!

Hey aem89! Congrats on the acceptances, I've heard great things about Indiana and Ohio University. I did my undergrad in Columbus and was very impressed and surprised by the funding opportunities for artists in Ohio. The arts council there is very strong, and there's a lot more to Ohio than cornfields and soybeans (Although you'll see a whole lot of it traveling between cities!). One of my former peers is currently getting his MFA at Indiana for painting. His work, along with the work of a lot of current and former grads, seems to tend towards representation and figuration. (This is a generalization, of course) I can't really speak to the photography program, but I can say that the alumni & faculty work there is solid and the Bloomington area looks great- strong music scene, good food & beer, lots of parks and outdoor fun, etc. A former professor of mine went to Ohio University and spoke strongly of it too. 

Personally, I'd rather take on a TA than a GA- getting that teaching experience seems more beneficial in the long run, especially if it's something you want to do with your degree. If funding is really crucial, you might compare the packages both schools offer and compare the cost of living in both areas.

I'm also struggling to decide between schools that have offered great funding. I'm definitely visiting one in person later this month, hoping it will confirm what I'm already feeling. You just can't know until you see a place in person.

The faculty you'll be working with is so important, I would really research each one and their work, and try talking to them to see if you jive. Also check out the work of current students and alumni- sometimes it's really interesting to see how their work evolves in the program. What are they doing after they graduate, where do they end up geographically? Try and contact some alumni- their perspective can be so helpful. 

Other random things I'm taking into consideration- is there a visiting artist program, how interdisciplinary is it, does my work fit in, are there opportunities to study abroad, how conceptual is the program, what's the school's philosophy/mission, how accessible is the faculty, are there decent job opportunities for my husband, what's the political climate of the city/state, how's the weather, will I be inspired by my surroundings? 

In the end, like so many others have said, you've got to go with your gut. I hope this helps!

I finally broke down and emailed my remaining schools asking them when I could expect to hear results and Iowa was really nice and emailed me right back letting me know I was wait-listed. (my online status was just saying "in progress") 

So if you haven't heard from someone, email/call them! It might not mean rejection! :)  

Re: rankings - I thought that they didn't matter either but then I heard someone say that when they are considering hiring for teaching jobs, even though the art dept is familiar with what are good art schools, the uni at large can be resistant if they perceive the school to not be serious or if they've never heard of it. The way they put it was that if you go to a name brand school, you can get hired anywhere. If you don't, you can get hired somewhere. For example, they were trying to hire someone from CalArts but the uni people complained that it was a "Disney school." I was sad to hear that. We all know CalArts is a great art school, but I guess we all still have to go into the larger world and it still comes down to perceptions. :(

That said, the funding is still the biggest factor. If there was only a $10k difference between the schools over two years then go to the better ranked school. Anything more, I'd still go where the money is, especially if the rankings are similar.

Has anyone heard from CCA, SAIC, or UC Berkeley yet?  CCA said they would email us by weekend and I haven't heard anything.  And then I got a weird financial aid email last night from SAIC saying they will be mailing my financial aid award letter.  However, it said nothing about actually being accepted.  Did anyone receive anything similar?  Thanks and good luck to everyone.  It is absolute torture waiting.  I can't stop checking my email.

San Jose State: Accepted 2/22 via phone

OTIS: Accepted 2/25 via postal service + 10,000 scholarship

SFAI: notified by email 1/29 for 2/22 interview, accepted 3/6/14 via email

CCA: notified by email 2/5 for 2/33 interview

SAIC: notified 2/4 by email for 3/1 interview

Yale: Rejected 1/31 via email and online application site

Hunter: rejected 3/3 via email 

UCLA: Assumed rejected

USC: Assumed rejected

UC Berkeley:

Claremont: 

Edited by seasalt

Has anyone heard from CCA, SAIC, or UC Berkeley yet?  CCA said they would email us by weekend and I haven't heard anything.  And then I got a weird financial aid email last night from SAIC saying they will be mailing my financial aid award letter.  However, it said nothing about actually being accepted.  Did anyone receive anything similar?  Thanks and good luck to everyone.  It is absolute torture waiting.  I can't stop checking my email.

USC: Assumed ryejected

UC Berkeley:

Claremont: 

It sounds to me like you have been accepted to SAIC to me. Call them?

As for UC Berkeley, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am pretty certain they have made their acceptances after interviews about a month ago. You should call to confirm. 

E-mailed schools, as per anonymous user's suggestion. Within five minutes I have found out the following: my snail mail rejection letter from RISD was just sent this morning, and Pratt won't start making any decisions for about another two weeks.

I'll still take knowing over not knowing, even if knowing means a rejection!

Thanks ismewilde!  I figured UC Berkeley was most likely out since most of the UC's made offers in February.  

USC: Assumed rejected

UC Berkeley:  Assumed rejected

Claremont: 

I just got accepted to the University of Florida for their Mass Communications program, which I accepted. It was the only school that I applied to for a MA instead of an MFA. And, I couldn't be more pleased to attend. They have by far been the single most responsive, professional and helpful school out of all that I have applied to - and that matters to me. Incredibly excited, and wished I would have saved my application money on the MFA degree programs and went straight for the MA because it fits me better. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats on acceptance, BLR! Did you hear anything at all from ND?

I just checked the "Bulletin Board" at Columbia College Chicago, and it says I've been admitted to their photo program!

This must be what winning an Oscar feels like.

Congratulations! Sorry for the delayed response- I knew I had missed responding to one! I hear they have a great photography program!

Hey everyone!
I was curious if any one who applied to Columbia College Chicago for an MFA in Photography has actually received a letter and/or email from them? I only see that I've been admitted on the "Bulletin Board" and wasn't sure if I should be expecting anything else as of now. 

Congrats, BLR! I agree, the responsiveness and help on their end makes a huge difference. Best of luck in sunny Florida! (I'm strongly considering a move there myself… can't do another one of these pothole-laden Michigan winters) 

Yeah, I'm a Michiganer. Sooooooo over winter and potholes! LOL

I just wanted to say that sometimes going for a MFA doesn't make the most sense. I can only speak for my personal experience. I was really eyeing the MFA since it is a terminal degree. I'm a web designer / media strategist with a big background in computer design. There are some wonderful programs for MFAs in these fields but they are few and far between. When I got accepted to UF I realized that it was a perfect fit for me. There was a tiny bit of me hanging on to wanting that terminal degree but the fit is more important, and the fact that the school was amazing to work with throughout the application process and now, beyond. I cannot say that of the other schools I applied to. So, the moral of the story is, if you are a designer like me, look at some other options that may fit better even if it's a MA vs. a MFA. I know most on this thread/board aren't computer designers, but I really feel compelled to type this out.

Best of luck everyone, I'll keep checking in to see how everyone is fairing! :)

USC: Assumed rejected

UC Berkeley:

Claremont: 

Seasalt, I got the same email this morning! I was confused, then figured it must be for the low-res program (which I was accepted into back in Feb) because I hadn't heard anything about acceptance into the full time program after the interviews last weekend. Did anyone else get the financial aid letter?

Congrats on acceptance, BLR! Did you hear anything at all from ND?

I have not yet heard anything. I will likely email them this weekend and tell them I accepted another offer. I have a feeling ND will be one of the last schools to go over apps. I don't know if you have visited ND's campus or not, but I grew up in northern Indiana. It is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. We go down once a year for a football game and I just love it there. If you are lucky enough to gain admission, DO NOT PASS IT UP - their reputation as a top notch school is known by all. Good luck!

what does it mean if i get an email from the california student aid commission, but have not gotten an acceptance letter or anything from CCA or Berkeley?

Cheers!

what does it mean if i get an email from the california student aid commission, but have not gotten an acceptance letter or anything from CCA or Berkeley?

Cheers!

What does your email say from CA student aid commission.  It seems some schools are sending out generic Financial Aid emails.  CCA said they would get back to us by end of day today for acceptances.  Sounds like the consensus for Berkeley is they have already made their offers...