MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

hey i know rutgers mason gross was calling people a week or two ago accepting for certain departments and i still don't think I've seen anyone post that they've gotten accepted for painting!  If you have been accepted please share!

Also, did anyone from the SMFA interviews and have thoughts to share about the program? Im curious.  The head of the masters department spoke with me and told me she is really proud of the school's standing as one of the most interdisciplinary mfas programs in the country.  (She said 'the most' rather than 'one of the most' but she is also in a position to sell.)  Just wondering what anyone else thought because I was actually really impressed aside from the size of the grad studios.  

I received my unofficial acceptance from FSU today. All of their students receive a full ride + GA/TAship for the full three years, so its pretty sweet. 

I am currently a BFA at FSU and work closely with some Professors on campus. The MFA's I know enjoy the program and have really big new studios. FSU has given me a really good start to my professional career in the arts. 

hey i know rutgers mason gross was calling people a week or two ago accepting for certain departments and i still don't think I've seen anyone post that they've gotten accepted for painting!  If you have been accepted please share!

Also, did anyone from the SMFA interviews and have thoughts to share about the program? Im curious.  The head of the masters department spoke with me and told me she is really proud of the school's standing as one of the most interdisciplinary mfas programs in the country.  (She said 'the most' rather than 'one of the most' but she is also in a position to sell.)  Just wondering what anyone else thought because I was actually really impressed aside from the size of the grad studios.  

I also was pretty impressed! The studios could definitely be more spacious with access to some natural light, but the program itself seems really great. I visited last fall and got the same impression. I really like the way they handled the interview; they seem to be very interested in potential students as real individuals with many interests and backgrounds. The travel grants are also extremely appealing to me. 

Did it seem to you like you were in, alexandria? During my interview, they discussed classes I could take that relate to my work, professors I could contact, and even Boston living options. It was really informative and personal.

I am currently a BFA at FSU and work closely with some Professors on campus. The MFA's I know enjoy the program and have really big new studios. FSU has given me a really good start to my professional career in the arts. 

Thanks for the info! I hope to be able to swing a visit before making a decision.

I also was pretty impressed! The studios could definitely be more spacious with access to some natural light, but the program itself seems really great. I visited last fall and got the same impression. I really like the way they handled the interview; they seem to be very interested in potential students as real individuals with many interests and backgrounds. The travel grants are also extremely appealing to me. 

Did it seem to you like you were in, alexandria? During my interview, they discussed classes I could take that relate to my work, professors I could contact, and even Boston living options. It was really informative and personal.

Yeah definitely!  I am not really sure about my status, I don't want to assume because you never can tell!  I've been super nervous waiting to hear back as I'm sure everyone is......... but in my personal opinion my interview went reeeeeally well.  The guy interviewing me asked me great questions and we basically had a really interesting conversation about the status and state of painting.  Since I majored in both sculpture and painting in undergraduate my paintings are conceptually involved with the space they occupy and aware of themselves as objects.  We talked about a lot of things and we both were very focus on the interdisciplinary aspects of the program.  At the reception my interviewer approached me with the head of the program, Mary Ellen, and said "Hi Alex this is Mary Ellen I thought you two should meet."  Then she basically asked me if I was interested in the travel grants the school offered.... and i felt REALLY STUPID because I was not aware.  I talked to her about my semester studying in Rome and she seemed pleased.  I should have also mentioned that I liked the impact traveling had on my work so much that when I graduated from Tyler I spent about 3 weeks couch surfing in Paris seeing the Louvre, D'Orsay, galleries, and actually meeting some interesting people who made DIY galleries in abandoned buildings.   I didn't want to sound impersonal and like I was selling myself too much I guess though, because I guess we were having more of a friendly conversation!?  I have no idea where I stand with anything and am too nervous for my own good, but I think I handled things alright and came off confident and comfortable.  

WAITING IS THE WORST THING haha.  I hope we both get in, this school felt really right to me. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I heard on saturday for painting but the woman on the phone made it very clear that everyone had not been notified yet. I think they are staggering admissions. I don't know why.

Have any printmakers heard from Indiana-Bloomington and/or UNC Chapel Hill?  Also, has anyone heard from Columbia College Chicago about funding?  I know they mail out their funding info separately from their acceptance letters-- submitted my FAFSA back in January, so I'm wondering what the hold up is.

I heard on saturday for painting but the woman on the phone made it very clear that everyone had not been notified yet. I think they are staggering admissions. I don't know why.

Thank you!!! That helps.  Congratulations on your acceptance! 

Just got denied from Penn State. Not sure if anyone here was waiting on info from there, but they seem to be messaging folks. Good luck, everyone!

Fairweather if you already accepted an offer doesn't it make sense to pull your other applications? What is the benefit of keeping them out there?

U of I acceptance, but said I was on a waitlist for funding. On U of I's website it says that all students are giving tuition wavers and stipends. Could someone explain this?

U of I acceptance, but said I was on a waitlist for funding. On U of I's website it says that all students are giving tuition wavers and stipends. Could someone explain this?

U of I as in University of Illinois?

Waitlisted in VCU :( Does anyone have an idea how many students make through the waitlist if any in VCU?

Hang in there, you could still get in. I see in your signature that it is marked as rejected. Did you end up getting a rejection after being waitlisted? :( Did they email or mail this to you? I'm still waiting to hear something.