MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

After lurking FOREVER... I've decided to post my results (so far) here. Just to let everyone know, this forum has been invaluable to me!

I'm flying to Cranbrook for an interview on the 3rd for photography.

I'm an alternate for Alfred University.

And I got one rejection from Carnegie Mellon.

Still waiting to hear back from a few (four) others. This is my second time applying for an MFA. Last year, I heard back from no one. I armed myself with all of the information I found here, and really worked on my portfolio. I think more than anything else, NOT worrying about what schools might like and just concentrating on making/submitting work that truly expresses my viewpoint has been the key.

Now I'll be searching for information on the in-person interview process.

Best of luck everyone.

I'll see you at the Cranbrook interview!  :)

Just for your info I received a rejection from CalArts via email a few days ago. I applied to New Genres. Was not really disappointed at all as I don't think the school is right for me and also it was my first application and I improved a lot since then (as in I only put video for CalArts, then after some advise I put still images/installation documentation as well in all the other applications).

Had a good interview with SVA but you never know!? NYU Steinhardt and Pratt on Monday...

Oh... I was confused by the wait in your signature. I thought it meant wait-listed. So cool you got contacted by Catherine Opie. That's the best part of this process, getting to speak with people who blow your mind artistically. 

I heard a great quote today, "Those who are certain of the outcome can afford to wait, and wait without anxiety."

I feel like confidence is its own reward so I'm just certain that wherever I end up being accepted is exactly where I need to be.

Ellephoto,

Sorry to cause that confusion. I feel the same way and I just treat the process as a critique from lots of giants meanwhile just wait...

I just spoke with people at Central Saint Martins and they suggested to apply also to MA Fine Art at Chelsea College of Arts. Any info about that program?

yeah i applied to csm and when i was at the interview they offered me a spot at chelsea while csm was still pending, probably will choose it over csm because of the studio space

Just noticed a rejection from Iowa on the results search for painting.  Anyone else hear from them?  I'm curious as I live just outside Iowa City and haven't heard anything yet.

Mine still says in progress

Just noticed a rejection from Iowa on the results search for painting.  Anyone else hear from them?  I'm curious as I live just outside Iowa City and haven't heard anything yet.

Were you checking from the ISIS? Mine still says, "In Progress" But I'm not painting. 

Hey Bhavika! Yeah, I think there are some threads about the graphic design interview in the forum. I had my interview yesterday, and I'm in India so it was later in the night for me (giving me a lot of time to freak out). My advice would be to try as hard as possible to not get too anxious because the interviews so far (mine and whatever I gleaned from older threads) are not so much a series of fixed/predictable questions (other than knowing your influences in contemporary art/design) but more about you talking about your work and the faculty asking questions based on your answer, making the conversation go further. It would help to know where your work falls in realm of current art/design, influences, subjects you think about, going over things/topics related to your work that make you uncomfortable, why they do that, how you'll address them without sounding defensive...I think that's the worst thing, to sound too defensive...things like that. Good luck!!

Thanks Lola! Yeah, I slept off too, waiting for my 3am interview - bad idea, since I woke up yawning and with bed hair.

Maybe it was because I wasn't fully awake, but I'm pretty sure I messed up. I think I was repetitive, and very blah overall. Oh well.

They were concerned that much of the work I had sent in (the hard copies) was group/ collaborative work - and they couldn't understand my skill set fully. I understand, but much of the work I've done is collaborative, and I actually consider that to be a very strong skill (I wish I had described it this way then! :( ) Anyways, we mostly had a discussion on the work I'd sent in. I answered some questions on bridging from architecture to graphic design, and they explained a bit about the preliminary year. Near the end they did have some good things to say, but honestly I don't hold out much hope.

Two down, two more to go!

edit: Just had the second half of my interview, with current students of the MFA. It went much, much better. I'm more awake and articulate  :)

Edited by bhavika.aggarwal

An update for any of you that have noticed your VCU app status "complete and ready for review" has now been removed and no app status is listed... I called the number for the grad school and they told me this means that a decision has been rendered, but the online system doesn't say what that decision is. She said once the decision has been rendered, applicants will be notified via USPS mail within one week to a week and a half. 

Hope this helps anyone that was questioning this change.

Mine still says "complete and ready for review," even though I check about 15 times a day.  VCU is not only my top choice, but they only one I haven't heard from yet!

Just got an official email saying I'm wait-listed for RISD photo... I am kind of surprised, I feel like I bombed my interview big time! So I'm glad that I'm wait-listed, but also frustrated since all that means is more waiting. And can I just say that Skype is the worst way to talk to people?? Seriously awful. 

Anyone out there apply to Stanford's Art Practice program?? And are people getting results about CCA? I'm thinking I'm officially out of luck there, but don't want to give up just yet...

Waitlisted at University of Chicago.  The waiting JUST WON'T STOP.

It is pretty crazy. Considering that sometimes waitlist decisions can happen in the summer, from app season in Dec til then - that's half a year!!

I hope you hear sooner than that! Best of luck!