MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Any clue what "application under review" might mean on the CCA webadvisor?? I assuming a rejection, at this point they're the last school I'm waiting on, just want this whole process to be OVER!

The program has rolling admissions. so I don't think you should call it quits.

Just got an email from Sculpture + Extended Media at VCU!!! AAAh!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Does anyone have any clues on what the funding situation is like at the school?

Congrats!  I sent an pm to you about the funding situation for me. My tuition is covered and will receive somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000 for my first year (I was too excited to get all the details when I got the phone call about the funding). Second year funding is not guarantee but likely probable.

Everytime there's a (1) in my inbox my heart stops then proceeds to deflate when it turns out to be a Groupon, an invitation to LinkedIN or even worse, solicitations from my undergrad alum mailing list...

Hi All, New in the forum.

I was accepted to Cranbrook with 30% need based scholarship and to the University of Notre Dame with full ride and TA of 1500$ a month.

What to choose? any suggestions?

When/how did you hear from Notre Dame? I applied for photo but have heard nothing!

Ok... im not sure. I called their art dept and they said they are sending out letters any day now... but who knows what that really means. you seem to be one of the only california based applicants, what school are you leaning toward now?

I'm leaning towards either SAIC, CCA, or SFAI.  SFAI offered me funding which would be really hard to turn down, but SAIC is ranked so high and has such amazing facilities.  I haven't heard about funding yet from SAIC and CCA, so I'll make my decision after that probably.  I've applied before and didn't get in anywhere.   Before I probably would have taken any school that offered funding, but I really do think the faculty and network you build at a top ranked school is worth something.

Just curious....has anyone hear yes or no from UCONN? I interviewed last month and now nothing? And has anyone gone to UCONN...pros/cons?

I'm still waiting from UCONN as well, but I haven't even had an interview. I emailed them and they told me they are "working on the admissions process." 

How long does it typically take to hear back after interviews anyway? I interviewed with purchase yesterday, and Syracuse wants my decision in early April...and still nothing from UCONN (although that probably means no I suppose).

Edited by Linder

Hi All, New in the forum.

I was accepted to Cranbrook with 30% need based scholarship and to the University of Notre Dame with full ride and TA of 1500$ a month.

What to choose? any suggestions?

This is tough. I think that obviously it would make your life really easy and mean that you could concentrate 100% on your studies if you went for the full ride and TA. However I don't think you should just be thinking only about finances. Even though an art education means very little in the real world, Americans do seem to take it very seriously and it seems easier for artists who go to reputable schools to get exhibitions and teaching jobs. Not that that's a very good reason but you should also consider how big the program is, what the facilities are like, faculty, and the city! You want to be in a place you actually like. I am from Australia so I have no idea what the University of Notre Dame is but from what I can see its a Catholic institution? Is that correct? Are you religious? I think that it would have quite a stigma attached to it in that case. I don't mean to be rude but religion isn't particularity 'cool' in the art world.

Can you get financial help from your parents or family at all? this could be a big factor. My parents are in no way rich but are will to help me out because they think its important for my career that I go to go to a top school in a city that I actually want to live in (because that is where I'll be making all my contacts).

Here is one thing to consider: do you have any doubt at all in your mind that you want to be an artist? Even the slightest?

Have you spent time out of art school working professionally as an artist so you know what it will be like out there after you finish?

If you have some doubts and do not have much experience I would say go with the funding.

If you know 100% that this is absolutely what you want to do with the rest of your life and couldn't imagine anything else, then I would say take the risk and go to the school that you want and that you think will help you in your field the most.

​If you want to get an MFA because you want to be an artist but also one of the big reasons is because you want to be qualified to teach, I would in that case also go for the funding.

I hope this has not confused you more! Its really up to you in the end. Go with what you gut is telling you. You will know what you want.

I'm still waiting from UCONN as well, but I haven't even had an interview. I emailed them and they told me they are "working on the admissions process." 

How long does it typically take to hear back after interviews anyway? I interviewed with purchase yesterday, and Syracuse wants my decision in early April...and still nothing from UCONN (although that probably means no I suppose).

UCONN finalist interviews were last month (mid-Feb). And then UCONN said it would be a month until decisions would be made. UCONN and several other schools are on spring break next week so I had hoped to hear this week but still nothing. Maybe the last week in March then??? I think a month post interview is plenty of time for schools to make decisions because most realize that other schools are waiting on students to decide as well.

Hey aem89! Congrats on the acceptances, I've heard great things about Indiana and Ohio University. I did my undergrad in Columbus and was very impressed and surprised by the funding opportunities for artists in Ohio. The arts council there is very strong, and there's a lot more to Ohio than cornfields and soybeans (Although you'll see a whole lot of it traveling between cities!). One of my former peers is currently getting his MFA at Indiana for painting. His work, along with the work of a lot of current and former grads, seems to tend towards representation and figuration. (This is a generalization, of course) I can't really speak to the photography program, but I can say that the alumni & faculty work there is solid and the Bloomington area looks great- strong music scene, good food & beer, lots of parks and outdoor fun, etc. A former professor of mine went to Ohio University and spoke strongly of it too. 

Personally, I'd rather take on a TA than a GA- getting that teaching experience seems more beneficial in the long run, especially if it's something you want to do with your degree. If funding is really crucial, you might compare the packages both schools offer and compare the cost of living in both areas.

I'm also struggling to decide between schools that have offered great funding. I'm definitely visiting one in person later this month, hoping it will confirm what I'm already feeling. You just can't know until you see a place in person.

The faculty you'll be working with is so important, I would really research each one and their work, and try talking to them to see if you jive. Also check out the work of current students and alumni- sometimes it's really interesting to see how their work evolves in the program. What are they doing after they graduate, where do they end up geographically? Try and contact some alumni- their perspective can be so helpful. 

Other random things I'm taking into consideration- is there a visiting artist program, how interdisciplinary is it, does my work fit in, are there opportunities to study abroad, how conceptual is the program, what's the school's philosophy/mission, how accessible is the faculty, are there decent job opportunities for my husband, what's the political climate of the city/state, how's the weather, will I be inspired by my surroundings? 

In the end, like so many others have said, you've got to go with your gut. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! Yea most of what you said is all things I have been thinking about and researching.. and I finally made a decision. I went with my gut and I'm attending Indiana University!

Yes, it is. I got the same thing and confirms with the director of graduate admissions. Letters should be arriving next week.

wow!! Thank you!!

Edited by Lee00

I didn't mean to confuse or panic anyone, I differed admission to ND last year. sorry!

Haha it's okay...how did you hear though? Last year I mean...email, call, website? I'm just wondering when/how to expect the news.

Also, I think funding is a big part of the decision. Personally, I would take funding over a big name, but I'm more interested in teaching and getting that experience. My two cents, but I don't know if it's worth anything.

Edited by Takara1

Thank you, bubu2014, for your post.

I tend to relate to your words.

I am not religious, and I'm not sure ND's art department has anything to do with religion.

That said...I'm not beginner, I had my time outside school, and I have some teaching experience.

I know what I want to be and do, I know it has to be significant.

I'm not alone, I have a partner that would help and support.

I think I feel like Cranbrook.

Thank you!

Thank you, bubu2014, for your post.

I tend to relate to your words.

I am not religious, and I'm not sure ND's art department has anything to do with religion.

That said...I'm not beginner, I had my time outside school, and I have some teaching experience.

I know what I want to be and do, I know it has to be significant.

I'm not alone, I have a partner that would help and support.

I think I feel like Cranbrook.

Thank you!

I think I sensed that from you anyway! It sounds like you know what you're doing and you're not going into it blindly. Sounds very exciting to me! Take on the challenge if its the most exciting to you. Good Luck!

I didn't mean to confuse or panic anyone, I differed admission to ND last year. sorry!

For your deferral, did you put something down or commit to attend this year after waiting a year? I just wonder if that affects anything?