MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Thanks klp and Designgeek :D

Just to clarify: I emailed the department asking for a status update, and then heard back from them about the informal offer. So if anyone out here is curious, do send them an enquiry email!

Thanks ros - I didn't come across this thread earlier so this is a great resource! From what I've read here (as well as elsewhere) Pratt doesn't seem to be as well regarded as SVA - and now I do need to choose between SVA, Pratt and RCA (which is even more crazy expensive). I know someone who did the MA Visual Communication at RCA and absolutely LOVED it, and highly recommends it. She says there's a very good focus on the critical and historical bits, and they're always encouraging you to experiment and do new things - I was concerned as a self-directed designer of floundering a bit but she assured me that everyone who comes in does something new which they don't have prior experience in. I would love to hear your take on the program / institute! Thanks :)

You are in the conundrum that everybody wants to be in :)

I don't know much about SVA but RCA is really good. Edit: Just had a look at SVA – would you really get taught by Milton Glaser & Stefan Sagmeister? Wow. If I were you I'd want more details around what that entails! 

That said, say both schools are as good as each other, do you have a preference for either city, or the ability to live & work in either city once your study period is over?

What do you hope to achieve when your studies are done? Check out InnovationRCA and FuelRCA, initiatives providing business support for alumni.

Hi,

first of all, thanks to those who've helped by giving their insight and have shared their experiences. Many lessons learned in this process as this was my first time applying after being out of school for a bit and kind of out of the art world. I'm thankful to have gotten into 2 schools (of 9), one I'm pretty happy about, but they would both require a serious uproot and I'm not quite ready for that. I will probably reapply next year.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any programs on the east coast that offer great technique based classes, or several-week intensives just to get some work done and maybe trigger some new approaches in my own work? ....And to work alongside other talented folk. Nyss seems a little too traditional but I may be wrong, I also don't know much about it. Any other suggestions? Many thanks!

Ps. Happy to see some of you have gotten good acceptances after so much waiting...

Edited by bathtub

Okay, just a note before this, I'm not at the RCA, this is only from friends who have been there or are there at the moment. ALSO – reading back, this is definitely marred by my locality to the college, having did my undergrad here, living here, having a LOT of friends who went/are there. It's really just not for me. Though this is what friends have said.

I think klp is right though – it's a good place to ask: where do you want to be when it's over? (and can you stay there afterwards?) I can firmly say that London is an amazing place to be, the opportunities, resources, people, possibilities... And I get the feeling that that's what the RCA is good for: the environment. That the students make the course, and the students are amongst the best. A lot of international students making an interesting environment. You'll meet people and start things and get a reputation that I think will definitely help in the future. This sounds like of lame, but actually, I think about all of the opportunities I've had and they've been directly from the University I was at, affiliates of that, friends and communities made... It could be a very wise tactical move.

I think though (some) of my friends find the lack of criticality frustrating, one in particular who has spoken about the real reluctance to address any facet of feminism or sexism there. Often she finds an imbalance and no real desire to question it. That the majority of the faculty are of a very particular perspective (read: a lot of old white guys) and have also been there for a long time. (So apparently someone like Teal Triggs, it SOUNDS good, but she doesn't really DO anything. Like, I think some people are actually confused about what her job is!) And talking to another friend who graduated a few years previous, she said the same thing. Her example was that one person had been doing the same work for two years and at the end of the two years everyone was still congratulating him and in no way interrogating what it was or why it was that he was doing. He went on to work at the RCA. Though I think that's why you see things like Department 21 (http://www.department21.net/). Maybe that's a good thing in a way, it really prompts people to ask what they are doing and react against it. And I don't think that's something across all departments – another friend is on the critical writing course and says it's amazing. 

Then another thing I've heard is the first year you take 2 (?) electives, but then the year after that you're pretty much left alone. I think that can work for people, but can also feel a bit limitless (in a bad way). 

Though – most or all of my friends who went there or are there did/do think it was an amazing place! That's something that I can never really get based on conversations, but I think that the environment is very special somehow, and they're all working really hard, learning, challenging themselves – having a great time! 

I hope I'm not throwing you off, but maybe good to have another perspective... I hope it's in some way useful. Let me know if I can help / elaborate. Maybe you should just email some people who are there right now also? 

R

Just to clarify: I emailed the department asking for a status update, and then heard back from them about the informal offer. So if anyone out here is curious, do send them an enquiry email!

Thanks ros - I didn't come across this thread earlier so this is a great resource! From what I've read here (as well as elsewhere) Pratt doesn't seem to be as well regarded as SVA - and now I do need to choose between SVA, Pratt and RCA (which is even more crazy expensive). I know someone who did the MA Visual Communication at RCA and absolutely LOVED it, and highly recommends it. She says there's a very good focus on the critical and historical bits, and they're always encouraging you to experiment and do new things - I was concerned as a self-directed designer of floundering a bit but she assured me that everyone who comes in does something new which they don't have prior experience in. I would love to hear your take on the program / institute! Thanks :)

Has anyone heard anything from University of Iowa (Painting)? I haven't heard a peep from them, so if you have I would love to know!

Thank you

Happyland, klp, ros - and everyone else - thank you so much for your advice!

klp - I plan to head back home and practice in Delhi, so I'm looking for an incredible environment, and great faculty for the experience of being in their compass rather than for networking per se. I am though very interested in summer internships - but that might be difficult as an international student anyway (no work visa).

ros - thanks for the very detailed RCA review! This was incredible helpful, and sort of corroborated my understanding - that RCA might be too conceptual and not so grounded / practical. That's my worst fear - to be in some kind of bull-shitting environment where everything is very "high-brow" and not applicable in the real world outside of the institute (which is why I've sort of moved away from Pratt too). However, I absolutely love their focus on historical and critical studies, and research / writing as a basis for studio practice. The RCA graduate I mentioned earlier, she has an amazing practice in Mumbai and she says she's applying everything she learnt at RCA, so obviously the final experience is very different for everyone. (If you want to see her work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anugraha/595580513786205)

Both SVA and RCA are incredible. I'd rather be in London, and I think that the student environment at RCA is much better, but the programme structure at SVA is more appealing. I've decided on SVA (as of now, two more weeks to deadline, so you never know) but since the probability of an external scholarship is much higher with RCA I'll fill in those applications too. Let's see where it takes me.

Thanks again!

Okay, just a note before this, I'm not at the RCA, this is only from friends who have been there or are there at the moment. ALSO – reading back, this is definitely marred by my locality to the college, having did my undergrad here, living here, having a LOT of friends who went/are there. It's really just not for me. Though this is what friends have said.

I think klp is right though – it's a good place to ask: where do you want to be when it's over? (and can you stay there afterwards?) I can firmly say that London is an amazing place to be, the opportunities, resources, people, possibilities... And I get the feeling that that's what the RCA is good for: the environment. That the students make the course, and the students are amongst the best. A lot of international students making an interesting environment. You'll meet people and start things and get a reputation that I think will definitely help in the future. This sounds like of lame, but actually, I think about all of the opportunities I've had and they've been directly from the University I was at, affiliates of that, friends and communities made... It could be a very wise tactical move.

I think though (some) of my friends find the lack of criticality frustrating, one in particular who has spoken about the real reluctance to address any facet of feminism or sexism there. Often she finds an imbalance and no real desire to question it. That the majority of the faculty are of a very particular perspective (read: a lot of old white guys) and have also been there for a long time. (So apparently someone like Teal Triggs, it SOUNDS good, but she doesn't really DO anything. Like, I think some people are actually confused about what her job is!) And talking to another friend who graduated a few years previous, she said the same thing. Her example was that one person had been doing the same work for two years and at the end of the two years everyone was still congratulating him and in no way interrogating what it was or why it was that he was doing. He went on to work at the RCA. Though I think that's why you see things like Department 21 (http://www.department21.net/). Maybe that's a good thing in a way, it really prompts people to ask what they are doing and react against it. And I don't think that's something across all departments – another friend is on the critical writing course and says it's amazing. 

Then another thing I've heard is the first year you take 2 (?) electives, but then the year after that you're pretty much left alone. I think that can work for people, but can also feel a bit limitless (in a bad way). 

Though – most or all of my friends who went there or are there did/do think it was an amazing place! That's something that I can never really get based on conversations, but I think that the environment is very special somehow, and they're all working really hard, learning, challenging themselves – having a great time! 

I hope I'm not throwing you off, but maybe good to have another perspective... I hope it's in some way useful. Let me know if I can help / elaborate. Maybe you should just email some people who are there right now also? 

R

Hi,

first of all, thanks to those who've helped by giving their insight and have shared their experiences. Many lessons learned in this process as this was my first time applying after being out of school for a bit and kind of out of the art world. I'm thankful to have gotten into 2 schools (of 9), one I'm pretty happy about, but they would both require a serious uproot and I'm not quite ready for that. I will probably reapply next year.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any programs on the east coast that offer great technique based classes, or several-week intensives just to get some work done and maybe trigger some new approaches in my own work? ....And to work alongside other talented folk. Nyss seems a little too traditional but I may be wrong, I also don't know much about it. Any other suggestions? Many thanks!

Ps. Happy to see some of you have gotten good acceptances after so much waiting...

Hey there, 

Kent State offers a summer program that is two weeks long in Painting/Drawing, Printmaking, Sculpture and several crafts oriented sessions. If you go to http://www.kent.edu/art there should be more information. The program is called Blossom and the info lists all of the guest artists and stuff.  

I have just been accepted into my top choice school (perfect course for me + big scholarship). Although some of the other schools that I've been accepted into seem to be higher ranked, I really feel like this is the right program for me. I feel a little sad declining the other offers though. However if you are wait listed at SVA, Pratt or Art Center College of Design then you might be in line for a spot (in Fine Art). I hope I'm making the right choice!

Hey Designgeek & bhavika.aggarwal

Congrats on your offer, bhavika.aggarwal !

I got an offer via email (same wording as bhavika.aggarwal received), last Friday 21st -- I applied for Fine Art (Printmaking).

Designgeek, I'm certain that the different schools are replying at different times. Especially as there was a full week between my offer and bhavika.aggarwal's. Best of luck!

Congrats on your offer! And thanks for the reassurance, I just can't help being worried...I'm literally keeping all my limbs crossed that I'll get some good news this week!

I got a call from SUNY Purchase yesterday that I got in with around $7000 off the already pretty low bill. They told me it would be around $7000 left over to pay, so pretty much in-state tuition, then i can teach my second year and get another $2k off. The offer I got from Syracuse was $5500 to pay and then opportunities to teach after my first year, but Purchase is a 2 year program, and Syracuse is 3.

I really like Purchase's program, faculty and location more than Syracuse, but the money is making me rethink everything.

How does negotiating go? Has anyone ever done that? 

Any thoughts on Purchase vs. Syracuse?

I accepted at SFAI, CCA, SLADE(UCL) MFA painting. Do you guys have any idea about where should I go?

I would recommend CCA for its reputation.

Edited by Chloe6120

Well I just found out I was moved from the waitlist and officially accepted to RISD -sculpture. No word on financial aid yet, it is so expensive though... 

Congrats Coreythegiraffe! I hope you get a great financial package!

I don't know anything about CCA. Didn't apply there. I got into and will be going to Pratt, I'm just eager to get my financial aid info and was curious if anyone had already received theirs. Not that that would even be especially useful information for me personally, just curious and anxious.  =)

I'm lucky in that I live in Brooklyn already, have a great apartment situation, and am already accustomed to the cost of living here. Brooklyn's cheaper than Manhattan but probably pretty much on par with what it costs to live in San Francsico.

is anyone else still waiting for a decision, post-interview? i was informed that i'd hear back when a decision was made, but nothing yet, and i haven't been formally waitlisted either. but it seems rather late in the app season so i can't help but feeling that i have indeed been waitlisted. i've kind of resigned that everything happens for a reason etc etc all that jazz but i'm still rather confused and would like to know what's up, as i'd really like to attend this program...  :unsure:

No worries! I actually went to visit some friends there at the RCA the other day and actually something I didn't say – the campus is amazing. Bit OTT on the health and safety but we managed to sit on the balcony overlooking Hyde Park (for 15 min before getting kicked out), and the cafe looks over the garden and Royal Albert Hall. Pretty amazing and the atmosphere with the students follows. 

Let us know what you decide. I'd be curious to know about SVA (or Pratt) if you end up going – for next year application!

Good luck!

R

Happyland, klp, ros - and everyone else - thank you so much for your advice!

klp - I plan to head back home and practice in Delhi, so I'm looking for an incredible environment, and great faculty for the experience of being in their compass rather than for networking per se. I am though very interested in summer internships - but that might be difficult as an international student anyway (no work visa).

ros - thanks for the very detailed RCA review! This was incredible helpful, and sort of corroborated my understanding - that RCA might be too conceptual and not so grounded / practical. That's my worst fear - to be in some kind of bull-shitting environment where everything is very "high-brow" and not applicable in the real world outside of the institute (which is why I've sort of moved away from Pratt too). However, I absolutely love their focus on historical and critical studies, and research / writing as a basis for studio practice. The RCA graduate I mentioned earlier, she has an amazing practice in Mumbai and she says she's applying everything she learnt at RCA, so obviously the final experience is very different for everyone. (If you want to see her work: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anugraha/595580513786205)

Both SVA and RCA are incredible. I'd rather be in London, and I think that the student environment at RCA is much better, but the programme structure at SVA is more appealing. I've decided on SVA (as of now, two more weeks to deadline, so you never know) but since the probability of an external scholarship is much higher with RCA I'll fill in those applications too. Let's see where it takes me.

Thanks again!