MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hi guys,

I just registered and this is my first time applying. I only applied to three schools in the Bay Area.

I don't know if anyone else is even applying there, but this afternoon I just heard from Davis to schedule a Skype/phone interview. It's with 3 faculty, they estimated 10min and mentioned that they'd like me to pick a piece and talk about it, as well as talk about what I'm working on now.

The more I think about it, the more nervous I get! But I'm going to prep the heck out of every question on that list in the thread and hope for the best! I'm worried that it's such a short interview - hope I say the right things... honestly I have no idea how they narrow people down at the interview level. I hope I can even explain everything in 10 min!

Their deadline was only 10 days ago, so that makes me worry about Berkeley, which has had my app for more than a month now. Has anyone heard from them?

Oh, and also I don't think I've seen this question asked, so I'll ask it. Is there any rhyme or reason to which faculty interview you? Do they usually pick faculty who are relevant to your medium? Or is it more the faculty who liked you in particular or who are especially skeptical and need convincing?

I wondered because I looked up the faculty and their work was not in my medium. The professor who does specialize in my medium is not one of them, though I had met him before to talk about the program.

I'm in the weird spot of really wanting to do something in school than what I have been doing, so I am excited to speak to people who are doing things that may be relevant to what I want to create in the future, but I am nervous about just sounding ignorant about those media.

Prep time!!!!

If possible they'll pick the people who will be "in charge" of you. Probably the person who will be your assigned advisor and then any others who might be placed directly in charge of you. Say you will be TA'ing a class on basic oil painting,  then the prof for that class - for example in undergrad a grad student was teaching intro digital media and basic drawing, his grad work was on something else entirely.

Also anyone up the hierarchy. Dean, head of dept, etc.. might all make an appearance depending on who they have handy or who makes the decisions.

Hi guys,

I just registered and this is my first time applying. I only applied to three schools in the Bay Area.

I don't know if anyone else is even applying there, but this afternoon I just heard from Davis to schedule a Skype/phone interview. It's with 3 faculty, they estimated 10min and mentioned that they'd like me to pick a piece and talk about it, as well as talk about what I'm working on now.

The more I think about it, the more nervous I get! But I'm going to prep the heck out of every question on that list in the thread and hope for the best! I'm worried that it's such a short interview - hope I say the right things... honestly I have no idea how they narrow people down at the interview level. I hope I can even explain everything in 10 min!

Their deadline was only 10 days ago, so that makes me worry about Berkeley, which has had my app for more than a month now. Has anyone heard from them?

Good luck!

That's funny, though -- based on my research, I was pretty sure Davis didn't do interviews. I wonder if that's changed across the board. Anyhow, I'll wait a few more days before crossing them off my list. And meanwhile, Glasgow School of Art just contacted me for an interview this Thursday. (25 minutes, phone.) So soon! Their application deadline hasn't even passed yet.

Pinged my admissions adviser..  (advisor? whatever)

Adcom is.. doing something.. I think they're waiting for a sign or whatever. Adcom apparently will not ever "meet" to decide (it's rolling admissions) but rather the parties need to vote or decide or whatever they do. I'm thinking maybe they'll cast bones. Cleromancy is pretty hip these days.

Best part is admissions is apparently over it and wants a decision. That's inferred from the tone and the note that they've "asked" the adcom to make a decision ASAP.

This is floating in my head, so why not post it?

You think "What do they want?" You think "Make a decision!"  "Why not say it's for naught?" You think, well it's a thought, what will be their response?

But then what if they knew who you are when you know that you're not what they think that they want? And what if you are, what the adcom envisions? Although how can you know what you are till you know what they want - which you don't? So then what do they pick: where you're safe outside and yourself but everything's wrong? Or inside where everything's right but you know that you'll never belong?

And whichever they pick, do it quick, because this is starting to suck and resemble malice.

Edited by Loric

Sent an email to my other POI in the other department I applied to, hopefully it isn't too forward to be like 'hey Ill be in the area next month and will see your lecture!' I haven't heard anything from them at all yet so it would be awkward if I was already rejected. Anxiety and panic, constantly refreshing my email - Yeap its waiting season!

Sent an email to my other POI in the other department I applied to, hopefully it isn't too forward to be like 'hey Ill be in the area next month and will see your lecture!' I haven't heard anything from them at all yet so it would be awkward if I was already rejected. Anxiety and panic, constantly refreshing my email - Yeap its waiting season!

I don't think it is too forward, it would be kinda weird if you were there and didn't make contact. If you are already rejected...well, it would be good to know.

I don't expect to begin hearing from the schools I applied to for at least 3 weeks, so I'm trying not to think about it too much.

Hello all, 

I got an issue with the recommendation letters. Not sure if this happened to someone else. 

One of the persons recommending me said that he sent the letters a while ago, but in the online application doesnt show up. The schools are Yale, Bard, and USC.

In fact, another person sent the letters to the three schools but at Bard it doesnt show up either.

Did you have any problems like that?

In the case of missing a recommendation ... do you think like the application wont be reviewed by the panel.

My best 

Sorry, I missed this post earlier--you may have solved this problem already. I applied to Bard and USC--I did not have this problem. If you haven't already called the schools and sorted this out...I would. I don't think it is an insurmountable problem.

Indiana contacted me to say that they're missing my transcripts-- I sent them via priority mail at the end of November and received delivery confirmation from the U.S. Post Office-- argh.  I had to email them unofficial copies and am going to try to overnight official copies tomorrow, if this Chicago cold spell lets up.

Indiana contacted me to say that they're missing my transcripts-- I sent them via priority mail at the end of November and received delivery confirmation from the U.S. Post Office-- argh.  I had to email them unofficial copies and am going to try to overnight official copies tomorrow, if this Chicago cold spell lets up.

They told me they haven't received mine and I sent mine electronically. 

Congrats to all the folks hearing back so soon! This is part procrastination on my part, (a few apps yet to submit), but I just read the transcript of a speech that was so wonderful, I want to share it with everyone (artists especially, as many of us are "sublimely mad".) Here's an excerpt to give you a taste: 

"Culture, real culture, is radical and transformative. It is capable of expressing what lies deep within us. It gives words to our reality. It makes us feel as well as see. It allows us to empathize with those who are different or oppressed. It reveals what is happening around us. It honors mystery. “The role of the artist, then, precisely, is to illuminate that darkness, blaze roads through the vast forest,” James Baldwin wrote, “so that we will not, in all our doing, lose sight of its purpose, which is, after all, to make the world a more human dwelling place.”

http://www.truthdig.com/report/page5/chris_hedges_jan_27_column_transcript_collapse_of_complex_societies_2014012

I just got a call for an SAIC Printmedia Interview on 3/2, too!  Has anyone been to this all-day event?  Does anyone know how many people they interview vs. how many they admit?

Also, sent in my electronic transcripts to Indiana and hope that silence means the graduate coordinator got the email.