MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hey guys- I saw that some of you were having trouble with the VCU application. I'm having some trouble with this as well. 

I noticed that in the "first" application, the university portion of the application, there were essay questions asking you about why you were applying to grad school now and things of that nature. Is this where you put your personal statement? Since I haven't yet submitted that portion, I haven't gotten to the art-specific portion which I guess I will be prompted to complete next.

Those essay questions just threw me off and I'm not sure if I should submit my personal statement there, or if it will ask for it in the second portion of the application.

Any help is appreciated!

I'm applying to painting at VCU, which asked for an artist statement in place of a SOP, I called to ask if what you enter in the first half needs to be the same as the second and the woman I spoke to said it should be the same thing. So, I just uploaded my one-page artist statement, that I will be uploading to the supplemental materials as well. I found it confusing that some of the fine arts progrmas were asking for a SOP and others an artist statement, hoping it didnt need to be some sort of weird fusion of the two.

I've been struggling with something in the application process and I wonder if anyone could lend some advice. When a school asks for both a statement of intent and an artist statement, is it okay to repeat yourself? I'm treating the artist statement as a condensed description of my artwork, while the statement of intent delves more into my background, future goals, etc. Still, there's a lot of overlap, and I've used the same sentences to describe my process in each statement. Again, just wondering if anyone else was struggling with this. 

Step back and look at that series from a technical aspect. Does it show strength and skill in every shot?

If not, pair it down to the best. Do the same with others. You can label items and are commonly given space for descriptive text.

Something like: Frilly Lace: Image 10 of 20 image series entitled Look! Lace! This grouping was meant to evoke..... This particular image emphasize the ... of the series and reflects the theme of ... draws on .. in contrast to .. Juxtaposed with ...

Think if it if your work had a grand gallery exhibition. Then someone wrote an article about it. What mr would an editor pick and what would they say? What's important? What would interest people in wanting to see more? You don't have to give them everything. They do have to want you, don't forget that. A little left to the imagination is a good thing.

Do not, however, try to show range. Only what's best.

I've been struggling with something in the application process and I wonder if anyone could lend some advice. When a school asks for both a statement of intent and an artist statement, is it okay to repeat yourself? I'm treating the artist statement as a condensed description of my artwork, while the statement of intent delves more into my background, future goals, etc. Still, there's a lot of overlap, and I've used the same sentences to describe my process in each statement. Again, just wondering if anyone else was struggling with this. 

It seems that each program is a little different, I would email or call each particular school. For example USC said to upload the same document, UCSD said you could as long as you covered all the areas they asked for in the artist statement, but UCLA  wants different ones and I think it would be a mistake to have significant overlap (more than minor references).

If anything, I'd focus SOP on academic and career goals and why you're suited to graduate school.

The artistic statement would then be geared toward you work in terms if themes, growth, interests for exploration, etc..

Edited by Loric

Right - o

Applying for MFA in Ceramics, here's the list

Indiana University - Bloomington

Colorado University - Boulder

Syracuse University

RIT

Penn State University

Texas Tech University

University of Iowa

We shall see, ladies and gentlemen. How are the apps going for everyone?

I applied to 9 schools and 10 programs: some required both an Artist's Statement and an SOP/Statement of Intent, some required only an Artist's Statement,  a few only wanted an SOP, and one required a "Creative Work Statement" and a" Personal Statement."  I created a hybrid Statement/SOP for the schools requiring just an SOP because I felt that it was necessary to describe my practice in some detail, as it will no doubt influence the direction my work will take in graduate school.  Whether or not this was a smart choice remains to be seen.  Only a few months before the decisions roll in.

6 applications in. I feel like I should have submitted at least 7-8. 

Applying for MFA in Sculpture for Fall 2014

University of Cincinnati

Michigan State University 

Indiana University-Bloomington

University of Tennessee-Knoxville

University of Georgia-Athens

University of Maryland-College Park

Still waiting on one professor to submit his letters, then I'm done. 

My sense of relief for having finished my applications is being overshadowed by worry and anticipation of results. 

I hear you on feeling relieved about being done with the application process, but anxious about the results.  I applied to University of Michigan, Indiana-Bloomington (Printmaking), SAIC (Fibers and Printmaking), Tyler (Fibers), University of Wisconsin-Madison (Printmaking), Northwestern, UNC-Chapel Hill, University of Texas-Austin (Printmaking), and Columbia College Chicago (Interdisciplinary Book and Paper).  I'm worried that my work may not be media-specific enough for the dedicated Printmaking and Fibers programs, since I kind of hover between both areas.  At this point, I'm just hoping that I make it far enough in the pool to get an interview at one or two of my schools.

I am kind of baffled how people apply to multiple areas of concentration. Doesn't the undergrad force a particular route? I can't imagine being prolific enough to have suitable portfolio materials for multiple areas.

Edited by Loric

Loric-- I employ printmaking, papermaking,  encaustic painting, and fibers techniques in my mixed-media work.  Most of the programs I applied to seem to welcome interdisciplinary work, even when applicants must chose an area to apply to.  Still, I can't help but wonder if my work is not "printmaker-y" or "fiber-y" enough for the schools requiring designation.  I guess only time will tell.

Anyone here applying to GSA? I'm interested in applying to MFA there, I've finished 4 year studies at Faculty of Applied Arts/ Illustration and Printmaking in Belgrade, Serbia, and I'm quite involved into painting, and I was wonder can any of you guys shed a light on how our portfolio should be like concearning our artwork, what do they value the most? Here's an example of some of my work, I'll understand if you havent got patience to look it all up, but I could use some guidance, concearning I haven't got much time (I've arranged all the documents I need for applying, just trying to sort the portfolio out) :)

http://s571.photobucket.com/user/manetheren/slideshow/Artworks 

Edited by Bazooka Tooth

Hey guys- another quick question about VCU's application (since you guys were so helpful last time).

When uploading images and providing image information on the supplemental materials page, one thing it asks for is "time" (in the same area it asks for size, media, year, etc.) Does anyone know what on earth this means?! Possibly time it took to complete?

Also, does anyone know what size images they prefer? Couldn't find it anywhere on the site. 

Last thing, on the website it says you must provide an image list with your supplemental materials, even gives an example (basic PDF image list with details.) On the supplemental materials page, it does not provide a place to upload this list. 

I'm applying to sculpture incase that detail is helpful

I don't know anything about GSA and what they want, but I would put together something that shows what you are most interested in. Just based on a quick glance, I find the drawings and paintings that seem to have more psychological content (over disfigurement) the most compelling.

Maybe someone else will weigh in though. Good luck!

Hey guys- another quick question about VCU's application (since you guys were so helpful last time).

When uploading images and providing image information on the supplemental materials page, one thing it asks for is "time" (in the same area it asks for size, media, year, etc.) Does anyone know what on earth this means?! Possibly time it took to complete?

Also, does anyone know what size images they prefer? Couldn't find it anywhere on the site. 

Last thing, on the website it says you must provide an image list with your supplemental materials, even gives an example (basic PDF image list with details.) On the supplemental materials page, it does not provide a place to upload this list. 

I'm applying to sculpture incase that detail is helpful

I assume time refers to time based media - video, presentation, etc.. "NA" works if it forces itself as a required field. Many people are submitting things like animation reels, etc..

I'd email them for clarification on the image list. The image list tends to be an artifact of the "send us a portfolio" then "send us a CD with your portfolio images" which is now "look at the nifty website you upload everything to."

Minimum image size is typically 72dpi and 1000 pixels in any direction. So at least one measure needs to be 1000. You may need to rephotograph some lower quality images. You want white backgrounds and floors, if possible. Good lighting.. not just whatever is in a room. Best is a good photo of a gallery installation or on site if installed outdoors, in a bank lobby, etc..

6 applications in. I feel like I should have submitted at least 7-8. 

Applying for MFA in Sculpture for Fall 2014

University of Cincinnati

Michigan State University 

Indiana University-Bloomington

University of Tennessee-Knoxville

University of Georgia-Athens

University of Maryland-College Park

Still waiting on one professor to submit his letters, then I'm done. 

My sense of relief for having finished my applications is being overshadowed by worry and anticipation of results. 

Hey Soapeater, 

If you have any questions on the MFA Sculpture department I could give a considerable insight into the department, facilities, town, program, etc. That University/Town was my home for the better part of the last decade, gimme a shout if you are curious. 

Hey Soapeater, 

If you have any questions on the MFA Sculpture department I could give a considerable insight into the department, facilities, town, program, etc. That University/Town was my home for the better part of the last decade, gimme a shout if you are curious. 

Thank you so much. You're the second UGA person to reach out to me on here. It means a lot. Thanks. 

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with SUNY Purchace MFA painting program? 

The proximity to NY is a plus, so this usually means several artists will be coming in for studio,talks,shows and crits, however I am not sure of how much financially they offer MFA students.

Anyone know?

thanks