MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

I want to make a pitch for getting some conversation and participation going here.

There is a lot of experience and information archived from previous years which minimizes the need for new posts to be about information gathering...it can feel like a waste of time answering questions that have already been adequately addressed in the  discussions from other years...maybe...but it seems like it is still valuable to offer and receive support, by seeing evidence of others going through the same things we are, at the same time.

I don't need it..it just seems like there could be some good conversations.

Anybody?

My first school apps are due in 1 month, I have a fulbright app due in less than 2 weeks, so deadlines are starting to roll in. After that it  really starts to pick up.

Assuming others are in the same situation, how's it going?

Hi Kwonberry,

If you don't mind my asking, how many acceptances did you get with that 'one for all' app? And how about your fellow first year who wrote different ones? Not sure how useful this info would be...just something to consider, I guess.

How has your experience at UCLA been so far?

essentially 2 for me, about the same for the other. the experience is pretty great so far. faculty are fascinating but it really comes down to the fellow grads.

It certainly has been quiet on here lately, but I assume everyone is working. I've been painting and writing a lot, though all of my other work is consuming much of my time. At least it's all art & design related and feeds my goals! December is going to be mad. 

I've narrowed my list of schools significantly, with only the dream schools remaining. I have residencies lined up for next summer and fall, so my thinking is that if I am not accepted, I will at least introduce myself now and show serious progression and intention with the second round, most likely with a broader selection of schools. I feel confident in my portfolio and potential, but there are so many talented people out there, and I don't want to rush this decision. This makes sense from my perspective and removes some of the pressure, though I am sure that will peak come February.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else out there. It does help to know that there are a bunch of us going through all of this together!

Kafralal,

I don't mind at all! RISD is my dream school, though Yale, Columbia, and MICA are right up there. RISD and MICA may fit my work the best, but I need to visit the schools to get a more accurate read. I love a a few painters who went to Columbia. This list will of course expand if I reapply, as there are quite a few more I am interested in and this is a ridiculously selective group.

Next summer I have residencies at the Rio Mesa Center, an interdisciplinary research center with the University of Utah, and Elsewhere Studios in Paonia, Colorado. I love that part of the world, and both places seem to suit me and my work. In the fall, I will most likely be at the Burren College of Art in Ireland, and I can't wait. The Burren is breathtaking and kind of magical. If all of my dreams come true and I am accepted to one of these schools, I'll hopefully be able to go the following summer. It's expensive, but so is grad school and my job is portable.

Now I just need to save as much money as I can while painting the best paintings I can, but that's what I'll be doing for as long as I can see.

I've been thinking about applying to grad school for a few years, and I'm glad I waited until now. This is the first year I feel ready.

I do recommend everyone having a contingency plan. It seems like a lot of people go through this for more than one round, and that's ok!

Just keep making art. 

How many schools is too many to apply for? I'm sitting right now at 12, and am going to pair that down to an even 10. Is that average? From what I've seen on here, it seems a bit high, but I've read about some people applying for 15+. What I'm looking at:

New York Academy of Art
CUNY - Hunter College
Yale
Columbia University
Royal College of Art
University College London (Slade)
RISD
Tyler*
SVA*
San Fransisco Art Institute*
CalArts*
Rutgers*

The ones with stars are more fringe schools....

I think a lot of people apply to 10-15! If you would be excited to go to any on your list, then I think it's a solid plan. It's a great list. I am only applying to so few because I'm not set on going in 2014, but will have about 10 if I reapply.

I was remembering where I was a year ago and then I remembered- I was glued to this forum! (when I wasn't busy working on my applications!)

I am currently in the MFA program at UCSB.  UCSB was last on my list last year but I ended up choosing this program over Ohio State where I got a full ride offer (big ann hamilton fan here too) and am really happy with my decision.   The program is small but everyone has TA ships and there are quite a few fellowships available.  Everyone is pretty much taken care of by the Art Dept.  The campus is beautiful, our studios are huge and proximity to LA is great (drove down the Lari Pittman lecture last night). 

The program is on the conceptual side and theory is a major component to the program. I was surprised that it is still somewhat under the radar but it's definitely worth checking out.  Enrique Martinez Celaya is probably my favorite alumni.

Here is my stuff:

jeffpagestudio.com

idioteck,

Sweet! Thanks for stopping in. I always wish people from the other side would.

Great work! How do you feel that it has developed so far, since you arrived? Do you have a lot of interaction with professors?

I didn't realize I knew Enrique Martinez Celaya until I looked him up. One of his sculptures is in Miami, and I always stop for it. What a fascinating background.  

How many schools is too many to apply for? I'm sitting right now at 12, and am going to pair that down to an even 10. Is that average? From what I've seen on here, it seems a bit high, but I've read about some people applying for 15+. What I'm looking at:

New York Academy of Art

CUNY - Hunter College

Yale

Columbia University

Royal College of Art

University College London (Slade)

RISD

Tyler*

SVA*

San Fransisco Art Institute*

CalArts*

Rutgers*

The ones with stars are more fringe schools....

I think it depends on the person and how confident they feel with their practice. I was advised to focus on 3 schools and by another who said to apply to 10. I am on the lower side. I feel my work is strong and am fine with applying next year. Do heavy research. Be as critical of a school as they will be assessing your application materials. The MFA is a terminal degree, so you should make it worthwhile. Applying is awfully expensive.   

First time applicant, glad to see I'm not the only one on the verge of a crisis

I'm applying for my MFA in Ceramics, list consists of:

Texas Tech

Kansas State

Florida State

Indiana

VCU 

Colorado 

RCA

UCA

Already applied to Texas Tech for SPRING 2014 admission, applying to the others as we speak. 

Anyone here know how long departments usually take to notify decisions? I'm sure each department can vary but was just searching for a ballpark estimate.

Hope we're all staying strong on the grind!

essentially 2 for me, about the same for the other. the experience is pretty great so far. faculty are fascinating but it really comes down to the fellow grads.

Hi David, I was curious as to which faculty members you have been drawn to so far and were these the one's you initially wanted as advisers? How is the community at UCLA with your fellow grads?

I am gonna check out the open studio December 14th and look forward to seeing your work.Take care.  

I'm with Bandito.

Hey Tincan, for MICA are you applying to Mount Royal or Hoffberger? I am only applying to 4 schools as well (USC got the axe).

First time applicant, glad to see I'm not the only one on the verge of a crisis

I'm applying for my MFA in Ceramics, list consists of:

Texas Tech

Kansas State

Florida State

Indiana

VCU 

Colorado 

RCA

UCA

Already applied to Texas Tech for SPRING 2014 admission, applying to the others as we speak. 

Anyone here know how long departments usually take to notify decisions? I'm sure each department can vary but was just searching for a ballpark estimate.

Hope we're all staying strong on the grind!

Hi fairweather, did you consider Alfred? They are supposed to have a great ceramics program with great funding.

Hi bandito! I'm still on the fence, honestly. I may apply to both or neither this round.

I love some work that comes out of both of Mount Royal and Hoffberger. I identify as a painter but would like to expand my practice to include sculpture. For this reason, I may be leaning towards Mount Royal!

Hey Tincan, for MICA are you applying to Mount Royal or Hoffberger? I am only applying to 4 schools as well (USC got the axe).

Hi fairweather, did you consider Alfred? They are supposed to have a great ceramics program with great funding.

I did consider Alfred! I love John Gill and had the pleasure of bumping into him during my travels, but I didn't think Alfred was right for me. On the other hand, Gill is a wonderful man. 

I did consider Alfred! I love John Gill and had the pleasure of bumping into him during my travels, but I didn't think Alfred was right for me. On the other hand, Gill is a wonderful man. 

Oh awesome. Well good luck with Texas Tech. Hopefully you hear back soon!

Hi bandito! I'm still on the fence, honestly. I may apply to both or neither this round.

I love some work that comes out of both of Mount Royal and Hoffberger. I identify as a painter but would like to expand my practice to include sculpture. For this reason, I may be leaning towards Mount Royal!

Expanding sounds good. I am sure you will figure it out. I like your list a lot as far as painting goes. I met a girl who did the BFA program at RISD and sang it's praises.

The past year threads were so exciting. Maybe it will kick up next month. 

Our work has a way of developing organically, and I love that I have no idea what mine will be about in five years! I'll make sculpture when I should, I am sure.

Yeah, I've scrolled through past years' forums as well. What a great resource. I'm sure we'll all be more chatty come December (and definitely Feb/March)!

Hi David, I was curious as to which faculty members you have been drawn to so far and were these the one's you initially wanted as advisers? How is the community at UCLA with your fellow grads?

I am gonna check out the open studio December 14th and look forward to seeing your work.Take care.  

I'm drawn to many of them and ideally meet with as many if not all of them at some point. Only met with 2 this first quarter so far. Lari Pittman, Andrea Fraser, Mary Kelly a few that I hope to meet with. Community is good, but as with any school with a relatively small student body that is wildly variable. Look forward to seeing you at open studios.

• 2 weeks later...

At $70 a pop, I can't imagine applying for 10 grad programs. That's a lot of cash to burn on indecision. I also heard keeping it under 5, 6 tops, was better in terms of getting the professors you want to write recommendation letters.

Did anyone here speak to the office at UCSD today to confirm that the deadline change is for both Grad Apply and the portfolio? There is some confusion in the way the message is worded.

I am wondering the same thing for UCSD! Grad Apply says December 17th, and the website says everything is due by December 4th! Still waiting for my recommendations to be uploaded.  Which program are you applying to?

Edited by ursupposed2

Sculpture. You too?

Dec 4 was the original due date, then it was pushed forward. Good chance everything is due on the 17th (and nothing on the 4th) but I'm going to check with the office, after the week-end, just to be sure.