MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

How's everyone doing?
SOPs and artist statements, even portfolios etc. it is as if we're supposed to somehow magically know how to do all this. It would be great if there was some real info out there. I'm doing fine, it is all coming together, but it is a huge amount of work, in no small part because of the time spent trying to figure out the fundamentals of this kind of writing.

Every school wants something a little different and you have to figure each one out, each time.

Examples of successful SOP's from artists, and artist statements with critical comments (particularly ones done for MFA and PHD applications—both long ones and short) would be the best, and might even the playing field—in a good way. It could be a form of discourse in and of itself. I know we all have our strategies and get through it in the end, and feel stronger for it etc., but the experience could be better—and we could learn as much if not more about our work in the process

The enforced writing is good though, once the fog clears and something coherent emerges—I am learning a ton doing it all.

I'm done with all my applications in the US.  So now I just have to keep following up with my references.  Yes, the amount of work for all that was like having a part time job... but i think the waiting will be the more difficult task. 

I'm switching over to working on my UK applications.  I'm trying to decide between applying to Slade and RCA or both.  The application process is ancient... Slade wants a CD in hand, wow. 

That's great, congratulations! How many schools did you end up applying to in the US? I'm guessing from your post on the Jerry Saltz thread that your list got significantly shorter.

Slade and RCA both sound great. Tough call. I guess when I was looking at them, RCA looked more interesting, but as I recall it is significantly more expensive.

My list didn't get too much shorter, I read the article after all my applications were completed.  I pulled UCLA because i wasn't convinced that even if they gave me a nice package that the facilities would be enough for me or had a faculty member that trumped the facilities issue. I pulled Yale for similar reasons, but also considered that I wanted a different set of peers. 

In the end I applied to 8 US schools including state programs.  I have external fellowship applications out, so I'm hopping that i would have options in aid to negotiate between the schools. The UK schools would only be feasible if one of my fellowships came through. 

Why apply to so many?? Well, I was unable to apply to more than two schools when i was pursuing undergrad... so i guess i'm making up for it now. I don't want to regret not applying to a program and be left wondering. I figured that if i had the funds and the references to do so...why not?

My list didn't get too much shorter, I read the article after all my applications were completed.  I pulled UCLA because i wasn't convinced that even if they gave me a nice package that the facilities would be enough for me or had a faculty member that trumped the facilities issue. I pulled Yale for similar reasons, but also considered that I wanted a different set of peers. 

In the end I applied to 8 US schools including state programs.  I have external fellowship applications out, so I'm hopping that i would have options in aid to negotiate between the schools. The UK schools would only be feasible if one of my fellowships came through. 

Why apply to so many?? Well, I was unable to apply to more than two schools when i was pursuing undergrad... so i guess i'm making up for it now. I don't want to regret not applying to a program and be left wondering. I figured that if i had the funds and the references to do so...why not?

What are your concerns about facility?

What are your concerns about facility?

My work is heading towards a more public art direction and I'm looking for places that incorporate digital fabrication.  If a school did not have some of the aspects listed below they had faculty I wanted or more interdisciplinary program that would also let me into the printmaking facilities... only then would i accept outsourcing my fabrication needs. 

CNC router

3D printer

Foundry

3D Modeling Lab/Software

Vacuum Former

Hi Guys

This forum is so helpful. Thanks so much for it!

So my current series has about 12-16 photographs and I was wondering if I can add 2-4 paintings (1 print) that are exploring the same topic to my 20 images for the portfolio...

I am really torn about if I should just keep it to photographs  - I am applying to MFA programs (not specifically photography)

Any voices will be very very welcome! 

Hi Guys

This forum is so helpful. Thanks so much for it!

So my current series has about 12-16 photographs and I was wondering if I can add 2-4 paintings (1 print) that are exploring the same topic to my 20 images for the portfolio...

I am really torn about if I should just keep it to photographs  - I am applying to MFA programs (not specifically photography)

Any voices will be very very welcome! 

Hey, I have a similar situation, maybe it will be helpful. I have 20 slides/videos (about 14 individual pieces) in my portfolio. Most of my work is performance based, so 16 or 17 of these are performance documentation, but I am also including three sculptures. 

For me its because 2 of the sculptures are my most recent work, and they are a direction I would like to continue going in. Another slight consideration was not wanting to get totally pigeonholed as only a performance artist, when I don't necessarily feel like that myself.

I also considered both of the things Kafralal mentioned.

I'm applying to Canadian schools, because they're more affordable, and I'm Canadian.   :)  Guelph, York, Windsor, Waterloo, and Concordia.  

I'd be interested in some feedback on my work- I run the Institute of Morphoid Research which you can see here: http://jenniferakkermans.com/portfolio_category/imr/.  While it does show a cohesive body of work, incorporating different media and approaches, my concern is that I might come across as a 'one trick pony,' so to speak.  Feedback?  

Nice to meet you all here, and best of luck to everyone!

Hello artists!

I have been out of school for a very looong time &  out of touch with academia. Never the less, I am not giving up on getting an MFA, hopefully from somewhere within a few hrs of NYC. I would greatly appreciate any feed back about this portfolio of paintings. They are presented in no particular order.  http://rekporfolio.tumblr.com/

Do you think I have a shot at Tyler? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

Hello artists!

I have been out of school for a very looong time &  out of touch with academia. Never the less, I am not giving up on getting an MFA, hopefully from somewhere within a few hrs of NYC. I would greatly appreciate any feed back about this portfolio of paintings. They are presented in no particular order.  http://rekporfolio.tumblr.com/

Do you think I have a shot at Tyler? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!!

I don't know enough about painting programs to be much help in that regard, but I'm curious about what your statement is focussing on and where you are going with this work.

I'm applying to Canadian schools, because they're more affordable, and I'm Canadian.   :)  Guelph, York, Windsor, Waterloo, and Concordia.  

I'd be interested in some feedback on my work- I run the Institute of Morphoid Research which you can see here: http://jenniferakkermans.com/portfolio_category/imr/.  While it does show a cohesive body of work, incorporating different media and approaches, my concern is that I might come across as a 'one trick pony,' so to speak.  Feedback?  

Nice to meet you all here, and best of luck to everyone!

Hi Jenesis,

If you can find a way to contextualize your work beyond what we see and read on your site, and show how you plan to extend it, then it shouldn't be a problem. If this is all there is...it could work against you.

Hi Everyone!

Are there any other MFA photography applicants out there? 

How are you uploading your images for the portfolio?

Are you photographing printed and framed images (ex. from an exhibition) or just uploading digital files?

I'm at a loss on how to upload my images. I have mostly digital files but someone told me that I should print, frame, install and then photograph all my work to show it installed.

But then I went to the USC info session and they said to just upload the digital files....

I would say don't print them. Photography means a lot of things now, and that sounds like a very old fashioned idea. For some people "installed" might just mean posted on tumblr, or a 4x6 taped to the wall, or a print crumpled on the floor etc. Unless something about how you print/frame/install it is important to the work I don't think it would be necessary.

it would also be unnecessarily expensive, and lower the image quality.

maybe a more accomplished photographer can correct me. But I don't think I've ever heard of someone printing a digital photograph, photographing the print and presenting it digitally again, unless some sort of meaningful manipulation or process happened during one of those steps.