MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hi Jenesis,

If you can find a way to contextualize your work beyond what we see and read on your site, and show how you plan to extend it, then it shouldn't be a problem. If this is all there is...it could work against you.

I just want to clarify my comment above...it isn't really what I meant to say... Because your website is part of your project and it is all, or seems to be, one big artwork, it is difficult to tell from that one work what you are thinking about outside and beyond it, and where you might go from here. I have no idea whether presenting it "as Is" would be a problem or not, but my suggestion, to alleviate your concerns about being a "one trick pony," would be to contextualize it.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your insight bannedinbc and kafralal!

I think my biggest issue is that I have 6-7 separate series of several images each, so in order to show all of the images in my portfolio I would need to upload almost 55 individual images. Since each school allows only a maximum of 20 images, I have to choose between uploading only 2-3 images from each series or figuring out some way to show all the images from the series in one frame and then uploading individual images as details.

I think the person who told me I should print and install them, said so for the purpose of showing the totality of each series in one image.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and how they resolved it for the application process?

I don't know what the best thing is. But printing them out and photographing probably isn't it. I have a few pieces that are series, for which I've chosen to just show a couple images from each. It works for those because they are pretty easy to get a sense of after seeing a couple. The other option is to choose the best 2 or 3 or 4 series out of the ones you have and go into more depth with each.

some schools (Yale comes to mind) explicitly say not to include composite images/more than one image per slide.

Hi spaz,

bannedinbc and kafralal are right. the selection committee are going to scroll through a bunch of portfolios. I think hunter has something like a 10 image limit. they want to see your best images/ strongest work. not all of it.

one of the toughest parts of being a photographer is knowing how to edit... so try to edit out the fat and select work that best represents your current practice.

good luck 

I just want to clarify my comment above...it isn't really what I meant to say... Because your website is part of your project and it is all, or seems to be, one big artwork, it is difficult to tell from that one work what you are thinking about outside and beyond it, and where you might go from here. I have no idea whether presenting it "as Is" would be a problem or not, but my suggestion, to alleviate your concerns about being a "one trick pony," would be to contextualize it.

I hope that makes sense.

Hi Kafralal,   Thank you for your comment, it definitely makes sense.  That is my challenge, to be able to explain where my work currently fits in the broader scope of my practice and art in general, and where I see my work going from here. As it is such a specific project, it's hard to articulate the next logical progression, which will have some similarities, I'm sure, but will look much different (as I think it should).  I mean, I'm not going to switch into painting or something totally unrelated, but the next body of work which I am just starting to develop now will deal with some of the same kinds of media, and similar themes- narrative, humour, science, etc.  I'm definitely in a bit of a strange spot right now, at the end of one very specific thing, but not quite far enough into something else.  

:) 

Applying to 5 schools (3 in the books, 2 almost finished) and deciding on a last minute 6th or 7th school. Im all over the place in my work and looking for non-traditional interdisciplinary programs with diverse faculty and student work, and of course offering great funding. Also looking for a lower cost of living but not isolated, reason for NYC, CA no-shows. Any advice? Any schools I am overlooking based on good info/experiences?

Applying to:

Carnegie

Michigan

UIC

Minnesota

SUNY Buffalo

Deciding on:

Rutgers

VCU

Ohio State

Any help is greatly appreciated, and good luck to everyone.

Per usual I have 2 days left to submit all the materials and am scrambling and cofused about formatting since every school seems to request something diff or not have many specifications at all.

Anyone out there applying for photography?

SVA says 72dpi ... is that the base rule for most schools.

I am confused since others don't really say it.

I guess besides the final size being small enough to upload onto their systems they will just be viewing it on monitor and so the sizing doesn't really matter too much?

someone please HELP :)

thanks

I am not applying to photo...but I'm ignoring the DPI because as far as I understand, it doesn't make any difference in terms of size or load time (and nobody can tell what dpi you upload). I'm just making sure that the resolution is as good as it can be within the file size that they ask for, which is anywhere from 2mb-10mb.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho.

I cannot believe I got the Yale app in yesterday. I am applying to 10 schools. VCU's system is giving me a hard time with recommendation requests though, has anyone else experienced that? I feel so much better now that one app is in! the rest should be easy.... now to the fun waiting part!

I cannot believe I got the Yale app in yesterday. I am applying to 10 schools. VCU's system is giving me a hard time with recommendation requests though, has anyone else experienced that? I feel so much better now that one app is in! the rest should be easy.... now to the fun waiting part!

Yes! They havent sent me the supplemental materials link after i paid and subbmitted the common app... everyones on vacation until tomorrow. Did you get that link?

ahh... ok, i was wondering if that was even possible. was afraid so. i hate to re-bother my recommenders!

(youre speaking of VCU yes? yale didnt send me anything since applying. I see that it says submitted in the beginning of the app, so here's hoping it all went through ok...)

This is my first year applying and to be honest I am really nervous about the entire process. If anybody has any advice that would be awesome. My focus is video and intermedia. I am applying to the following:

PennDesign

UC Santa Barbara

UC Boulder

UMaryland

Portland State

UMass Dartmouth

Brockport College

MECA

I am also considering Syracuse and BU.

I just submitted my last application!  9 schools and 10 programs... hoping that one of them will have me.  Now the tortuous waiting game begins...

Yah! Way'ta go! Wow 10, I'm in awe.

I'm not done yet, but soon...

Question for those applying (or have applied) for a MFA in Photography:

Is it better to submit one complete, cohesive body of work (e.g. a series of 20 related images), or to submit images from several different bodies of work (dealing with similar themes/ideas, yes, but might be vastly different in terms of aesthetic/subject matter)?

I was advised not to "dilute" the portfolio, but to submit the strongest, most cohesive series with a fully fleshed out artist statement.  To include other images from different bodies of work would look unfocused and cluttered.

Any advice?

Question for those applying (or have applied) for a MFA in Photography:

Is it better to submit one complete, cohesive body of work (e.g. a series of 20 related images), or to submit images from several different bodies of work (dealing with similar themes/ideas, yes, but might be vastly different in terms of aesthetic/subject matter)?

I was advised not to "dilute" the portfolio, but to submit the strongest, most cohesive series with a fully fleshed out artist statement.  To include other images from different bodies of work would look unfocused and cluttered.

Any advice?

I would submit images from several bodies of work and explain your overarching motivations to make pictures in the statement. Admission committees generally view your photographs only (no writing) to make a first cut of applicants then start reading your written material.

Good luck!

Hey guys- I saw that some of you were having trouble with the VCU application. I'm having some trouble with this as well. 

I noticed that in the "first" application, the university portion of the application, there were essay questions asking you about why you were applying to grad school now and things of that nature. Is this where you put your personal statement? Since I haven't yet submitted that portion, I haven't gotten to the art-specific portion which I guess I will be prompted to complete next.

Those essay questions just threw me off and I'm not sure if I should submit my personal statement there, or if it will ask for it in the second portion of the application.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey guys- I saw that some of you were having trouble with the VCU application. I'm having some trouble with this as well. 

I noticed that in the "first" application, the university portion of the application, there were essay questions asking you about why you were applying to grad school now and things of that nature. Is this where you put your personal statement? Since I haven't yet submitted that portion, I haven't gotten to the art-specific portion which I guess I will be prompted to complete next.

Those essay questions just threw me off and I'm not sure if I should submit my personal statement there, or if it will ask for it in the second portion of the application.

Any help is appreciated!

I don't know if you're applying to painting but if you go here http://arts.vcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/graduate/

and then scroll down to the painting section is says "Artist Statement: Please submit with your University application as Statement of Purpose and upload as PDF with your supplemental materials."

Which is pretty confusing and easy to miss! I emailed somebody from admissions about it and she said that yes, you do submit your artist statement in the Statement of Purpose section of the University app. Again, I'm applying to painting so you'll have to double check for whatever you're going into. 

I don't know if you're applying to painting but if you go here http://arts.vcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/graduate/

and then scroll down to the painting section is says "Artist Statement: Please submit with your University application as Statement of Purpose and upload as PDF with your supplemental materials."

Which is pretty confusing and easy to miss! I emailed somebody from admissions about it and she said that yes, you do submit your artist statement in the Statement of Purpose section of the University app. Again, I'm applying to painting so you'll have to double check for whatever you're going into. 

Yes!! So glad someone could help answer this question. So, basically, you submit your personal statement twice? Or just once in the first section of the application?