MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

hey all, i'm new to the forum.  

I think you're right about tyler, it seems department specific... I went to tyler for undergrad and majored in both the painting and the sculpture programs, so I did not apply there for grad, but I remember the professors grouping together for the reviewing process and they did it individually by departments.  I feel like the painting and sculpture departments assembled at least a week apart! It makes sense because A LOT of the professors come from NYC to teach each class and they're schedules aren't very cohesive, the also invite the grad students to review applicants with them which is nice.  

Has anyone heard from SAIC for painting yet? :/ I see that some people have interviews for print and am getting nervous.

did anyone else get an interview at school of the museum of fine arts boston? I got an email for an interview and it seemed impersonal and it was suuuper quick.  I'm wondering if I actually earned an interview or if for some reason this school interviews all applicants!  Its my first year applying so there's a lot I'm not sure about.  I'm waiting for a buttload of rejections :(

I would guess she is going out to celebrate... I certainly would

Lol. Thanks, you guys. You sleuths! I didn't want to gloat or anything.

Celebrating... Sort of... Helping put on 24 straight hours of live noise music on college radio, so haven't really had time to stop and think, but really excited! I will do my due diligence on both UCs and weigh the finances, commute, people, etc. I don't want to make a rash choice on prestige alone. The finances will really make things clear I think.

Good luck everyone!

Lol. Thanks, you guys. You sleuths! I didn't want to gloat or anything.

Celebrating... Sort of... Helping put on 24 straight hours of live noise music on college radio, so haven't really had time to stop and think, but really excited! I will do my due diligence on both UCs and weigh the finances, commute, people, etc. I don't want to make a rash choice on prestige alone. The finances will really make things clear I think.

Good luck everyone!

Isn't there the question of location as well? To me, it seemed that your heart was certainly in one place, but perhaps you should also see if you can arrange to revisit and talk with some of the professors and see what kind of a rapport you have with them?

After doing some very light research, here's the dates I found for a rough feedback from the schools I've applied to. Posting them here just in case anyone who has the same or similar schools is interested.

Royal College of Art: Feb 15-28 (interview request)

Tyler School of Art: Feb 15-20

NYAA: March 1

SVA: March 15-20

Columbia: March 15-20

RISD: End of March

Hunter CUNY: End of March

Thanks! This gives me a lot of relief to see. Maybe I can expect to have an idea next week!

Just in case other people are waiting on PAFA, your status in the website might have some new stuff if you haven't noticed already. Mine now includes the following under everything else:

Resume Complete ........1/13/2014   

Decision Letter Sent .......Pending     

Tuition Deposit ..........Pending     

Tuition Deposit #2 .......Pending     

Candidate Reply Form ......Pending     

New Student Information Form ........Pending

The decision letter has been sent, so I guess I'll have something physical some time soon. I find it peculiar that below the "Decision Letter Sent" line, there are "Tuition Deposit" "Candidate Reply Form" and "New Student Information Form" lines. I assume it shows up that way for everyone, but does anyone else have that? (Sorry this is also more or less on the Sculpture page)

hey all, i'm new to the forum.

I think you're right about tyler, it seems department specific... I went to tyler for undergrad and majored in both the painting and the sculpture programs, so I did not apply there for grad, but I remember the professors grouping together for the reviewing process and they did it individually by departments. I feel like the painting and sculpture departments assembled at least a week apart! It makes sense because A LOT of the professors come from NYC to teach each class and they're schedules aren't very cohesive, the also invite the grad students to review applicants with them which is nice.

Has anyone heard from SAIC for painting yet? :/ I see that some people have interviews for print and am getting nervous.

did anyone else get an interview at school of the museum of fine arts boston? I got an email for an interview and it seemed impersonal and it was suuuper quick. I'm wondering if I actually earned an interview or if for some reason this school interviews all applicants! Its my first year applying so there's a lot I'm not sure about. I'm waiting for a buttload of rejections :(

I received an interview invitation as well. I have the same questions.. I'm going to get some more information from them next week.

Edited by colow

Isn't there the question of location as well? To me, it seemed that your heart was certainly in one place, but perhaps you should also see if you can arrange to revisit and talk with some of the professors and see what kind of a rapport you have with them?

Location matters but mostly in terms of commute time. It helps that Berkeley is more bustling but that's not a deal breaker either. I think how you get along with the profs and other students is more important. I wouldn't go if everyone in my cohort somehow shuns me or something (doubt that will happen... Hopefully).

Anyone have any experience of why certain profs interview you? As in, is the person you hear from the prof who wants to work with you? I ask cuz neither of the people I contacted beforehand while applying were part of this process and I wonder if that means I misgauged if they'd be a good fit?

I'm guessing that it is often just who is available to do the calling...more an issue of the division of labour...depending on the program and how the departments work or don't work together. If the final decision was made together then all would feel invested in you to some extent.

Anyone else here apply to the University of Minnesota?  And if so, have you heard anything back yet?  On their website they state that requests for interviews will go out by 2/8, so I am gonna assume I didn't make the cut.  Anyways, thought I would ask and see if anyone has heard from them either way.

I have not heard anything

I haven't heard anything from Tyler. Checked my application status on the portal, "complete ready for review"

Yep.  Me too.  I was surprised to see that an email rejection was in the results page.  Previous years are all snail mail.  

I received an interview invitation as well. I have the same questions.. I'm going to get some more information from them next week.

yeah I tried looking up more information on the site but think I will have to call for more information as well.  On the site under FAQs it says that the interviews are also an opportunity to show original work which seems odd to me! Is that standard? My paintings are mostly on heavy panel and some of them are solid plaster!  I assumed that the interview would involve slides!  Obviously I'm stoked on having an interview and will not complain.. but bringing 15 heavy works from Philadelphia to Boston will be a little challenging. Perhaps they will suggest only bringing a few? 

I just saw that some people have been granted interviews for painting at SAIC. Congrats!  I will assume I did not make the cut then.  I did receive a missed call on tuesday from an unknown number but they did not leave a message and my status on the site is still pending, not interview requested or anything.  did anyone who heard from SAIC get a voicemail?  Or did you lucky devils pick up your phone. 

Thanks for your reply.  I logged into my application and it still says "awaiting program decision," but I suspect that they are only putting effort into contacting those they want to interview and not in a rush to notify those that aren't being considered. 

Lets hope not.

Yeah, I hope I'm wrong too.  In addition to being a pretty good program, the 3 years of full funding they offer is a super sweet deal. 

I haven't heard from Minnesota either, maybe they are behind?  

However, their funding isn't as good as it used to, just letting you know...My friend works there and told me there have been some changes recently. :(

Anyone else here apply to the University of Minnesota?  And if so, have you heard anything back yet?  On their website they state that requests for interviews will go out by 2/8, so I am gonna assume I didn't make the cut.  Anyways, thought I would ask and see if anyone has heard from them either way.

Haven't heard anything.  

I really do hope they are behind as well.  But I do know that the deadline for nominating students for certain university fellowships (e.g the DOVE fellowship) has passed meaning they would have to know what their short list is beforehand.  The department has to nominate those applicants that they want to put up for these fellowships and it requires that the DGS take the time to write letters of nomination.  This requires a lot of work, so I would expect them to already have a pretty good idea of who they want to admit.

I went to one of the information sessions that the Art department holds during the Fall semester.  The DGS stated that they provide full funding for all students that they admit.  Basically, if they admit you, they fund you for 3 years.  As a result they only accept about 6 or 7 students per year.  Based on their current graduate student list (on their department website) it seems that each media area gets at least one new student each year and some (but not all) get 2.  I was told that they get around 100 applicants per year, so their acceptance rate is around 6-7%, which is really low.  

As for what that actual funding is in dollars, I can't say.  I know that most of the money comes from TAships, instructorships, and other assistantships (research, running labs, etc.).  These come with a salary and also cover the bulk of tuition and fees (although some fees may still need to be paid by the student).  What that salary is, however, I don't know.  So maybe it falls short of what the cost of living is in the Twin Cities.  It may also be the case that there are fewer positions meaning that they had to cut some of the positions from full time to half time to cover all the students (meaning the salaries were reduced while the tuition and fee remission remained the same).  Perhaps this is what your friend was referring to. 

Anyways, I am only relaying what I know from what was told to me at that session and information from their website. 

Yea, it seems like you know more than I do, fo' sure!