MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

I've got a question for you application grinders.  

When writing to faculty at prospective schools, is it best to cut right to the point with questions? Or is it wiser to butter up first? 

Say I'm looking for clarification with the portfolio review panel. Would faculty (who I assume to be busy) rather answer a bulleted list of questions, or do they want a well-written paragraph with a personable tone? 

I know you only get to make a first impression once, so I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot by appearing excessively frank or demanding. 

Also, how faux pas is it to send a site link to faculty? "Hey i dig your school, do you feel like looking at my work in your down time? Maybe throwing some knowledge gems my way?"

Congrats klp!!!

wm000, personally I think it would be bad form to send a list of questions during the admissions process to a professor. I would direct any questions you have to the admissions advisor. Also, if you want feedback on your work, I would send an email first requesting whether they would be able and willing to offer any feedback on your work and if so, when would be a good time to for them to look at it. 

I've got a question for you application grinders.  

When writing to faculty at prospective schools, is it best to cut right to the point with questions? Or is it wiser to butter up first? 

Say I'm looking for clarification with the portfolio review panel. Would faculty (who I assume to be busy) rather answer a bulleted list of questions, or do they want a well-written paragraph with a personable tone? 

I know you only get to make a first impression once, so I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot by appearing excessively frank or demanding. 

Also, how faux pas is it to send a site link to faculty? "Hey i dig your school, do you feel like looking at my work in your down time? Maybe throwing some knowledge gems my way?"

I agree in part with ismewilde. I can say that my own experience is that I once emailed a faculty member to ask a few things about portfolio composition. I tried to make it concise as possible without being frank. I imagine that if I were a teacher, I wouldn't want a whole bunch of essays that take more time to respond too.

Also, I was advised at some point by my undergrad professors (that wrote letters of recommendation for me) before applying, to not ask questions to which the answers can be somewhat easily found, and also not to ask questions which are likely to have no effect on anything (or in other words, superfluous-I'm-anxious-help-me-deal questions).

I get a new gray hair in my beard every day I wait for responses.  :wacko:

bard has already notified atleast photography

That might be ICP Bard? Their app says the 17th.

yes, sorry

Hello, new to the forum, so freshly freaking out...I am still a little confused by this post, does that mean Bard ICP has already put in their calls and regular Bard is the 17th? Or vice versa?  I applied in film/video so wondering if I would have already heard from them if I was going to....thanks!!!

Hello, new to the forum, so freshly freaking out...I am still a little confused by this post, does that mean Bard ICP has already put in their calls and regular Bard is the 17th? Or vice versa?  I applied in film/video so wondering if I would have already heard from them if I was going to....thanks!!!

Calls (or rather emails) for regular Bard are going out the week of the 17th. I'm with you. Good luck!

I agree in part with ismewilde. I can say that my own experience is that I once emailed a faculty member to ask a few things about portfolio composition. I tried to make it concise as possible without being frank. I imagine that if I were a teacher, I wouldn't want a whole bunch of essays that take more time to respond too.

Also, I was advised at some point by my undergrad professors (that wrote letters of recommendation for me) before applying, to not ask questions to which the answers can be somewhat easily found, and also not to ask questions which are likely to have no effect on anything (or in other words, superfluous-I'm-anxious-help-me-deal questions).

I get a new gray hair in my beard every day I wait for responses.  :wacko:

I keep oscillating between high optimism and confidence to complete insecurity and doubt. Its pretty ridiculous when I think about it. Much more important things to worry and stress about.

And yet... 

I should make a short film about it. 

yeah I tried looking up more information on the site but think I will have to call for more information as well.  On the site under FAQs it says that the interviews are also an opportunity to show original work which seems odd to me! Is that standard? My paintings are mostly on heavy panel and some of them are solid plaster!  I assumed that the interview would involve slides!  Obviously I'm stoked on having an interview and will not complain.. but bringing 15 heavy works from Philadelphia to Boston will be a little challenging. Perhaps they will suggest only bringing a few? 

I just saw that some people have been granted interviews for painting at SAIC. Congrats!  I will assume I did not make the cut then.  I did receive a missed call on tuesday from an unknown number but they did not leave a message and my status on the site is still pending, not interview requested or anything.  did anyone who heard from SAIC get a voicemail?  Or did you lucky devils pick up your phone. 

I got an invitation to interview at SMFA as well, and I have the same questions about bringing my work. Lugging work around the airport and trains doesn't sound very ideal. I also saw on threads from previous years that during interviewees' down time, they load everyone up and show them galleries and such. So it seems like carrying your work around would be a bit of a bummer. 

How many schools is too many to apply for? I'm sitting right now at 12, and am going to pair that down to an even 10. Is that average? From what I've seen on here, it seems a bit high, but I've read about some people applying for 15+. What I'm looking at:

New York Academy of Art

CUNY - Hunter College

Yale

Columbia University

Royal College of Art

University College London (Slade)

RISD

Tyler*

SVA*

San Fransisco Art Institute*

CalArts*

Rutgers*

The ones with stars are more fringe schools....

I'm wondering what your meaning is when you call a school a "fringe" school, and why you felt the need to make a distinction.

I'm wondering what your meaning is when you call a school a "fringe" school, and why you felt the need to make a distinction.

It's just personal for "fringe". They're schools that I wasn't exactly sure on applying to, as the other ones I was pretty set on. They were the on fringe of yes/no. I had to make a distinction because I had to narrow down the list I was applying to somehow!

All those schools are great schools unto themselves, I just wanted to go more East coast as the style suits me better, there's a larger market, and I wanted to be further away from where I am now. The ones I ended up choosing are in my signature/footer.

Second rejection. VCU Painting/printmaking. Found out via email after inquiring about interviews. Trying to fight off the feeling of bleakness even though there are still a few more to go. 

After reading this, I took the same approach. I'm also rejected. Looks like interview invites went out last week.

Still wondering about University of Michigan...has anyone had an interview invite yet? I am assuming I've been rejected at this point, but have heard nothing from Admissions via email, snail mail, or on the web portal.