MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hi Coreythegiraffe,

Could you share what your SAIC sculpture interview was like last year?  Did you Skype or visit in person?  What was the review like?  Was it just faculty or were there current students present? Any particular questions beyond the obvious about artwork?

and this is silly but i had to ask… did you wear nice 'interview' clothes or casual clothes?

Anything you can share would be really helpful. Thanks!

I went to the SAIC sculpture interview in person last year, I had never been to Chicago, so that was fun. 

For SAIC its an event. They started with an introduction in one big room with all the sculpture applicants who had been granted interviews. Again it was about 40-50 applicants to interview for about 12 or so spots. 

You sit one on one with two of the sculpture professors. They ask you to go through the portfolio you submitted, which I did. Towards the end I showed them some current work I was making. They asked me to clarify particular parts of my statement, which I did. They didn't so much ask why grad school or why SAIC. The really just want to know about the work. They didn't asked curveball questions.  ALWAYS have good questions for them. At the end, they will ask, "Do you have any questions for us", and you should have 2 or 3 questions to ask. My interview went well, I asked good questions and I think thats why I was accepted. 

It wasn't particularly unique in any way, just don't be nervous, and just talk. 

I think this is the best attitude to have.  Being rejected from a program doesn't take anything away from you in the same way that being accepted doesn't turn you into Mr./Ms. Awesome and guarantee that you will have a successful career or make compelling art.  Either way, it's all about working hard on your art and continuing to push yourself to learn and grow.  While being in a program can lead to new opportunities and experiences, it does also place limitations on you.  The curriculum, deadlines, perspectives of your fellow students and professors can all place constraints on your practice and thinking, pushing you in directions that may or may not be beneficial to you.  So there are pros and cons to the impact that a program might have on your artistic practice as well.  Not being in a program really does allow you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want which is kind of nice.

Remind me, why did I apply to MFA programs? :lol:

Haha I'm there. I think it was for future job opportunities and personal growth but I could be wrong. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with whichever program you choose. Hopefully it gives you what you were looking for out a program!

Got an email today from Carnegie Mellon saying that they never got my transcripts. I guess that's a good sign that I'm not flat out rejected?

I would think so- did you find out what happened to them?

Greetings everyone. Who else is applying for photography and how are things going for you so far? 

I've had an interview with Parsons (2/3) and have an interview with ICP-Bard (contacted 2/10) coming up. The interview with Parsons was relatively quick and painless. They asked me to explain my work, where I thought photography was going, and why I wanted to attend their program. I was a bit nervous and didn't say exactly what I had planned, but live and learn for next time.  

It looks like Syracuse and Cranbrook have contacted for interviews; I may be out of the books for these two if I don't hear from them soon..

Goodluck to us all!

I wish Wish they would reject before giving interviews. But this board is encouraging. Good to see some people eventually getting interviews and acceptances.

Edited by bathtub

On 2/12/2014 at 6:31 PM, batfish said:

Greetings everyone. Who else is applying for photography and how are things going for you so far? 

I've had an interview with Parsons (2/3) and have an interview with ICP-Bard (contacted 2/10) coming up. The interview with Parsons was relatively quick and painless. They asked me to explain my work, where I thought photography was going, and why I wanted to attend their program. I was a bit nervous and didn't say exactly what I had planned, but live and learn for next time.  

It looks like Syracuse and Cranbrook have contacted for interviews; I may be out of the books for these two if I don't hear from them soon..

Goodluck to us all!

Hey there fellow photo MFAian. I've had two interviews, University of Oregon and Washington University (WashU), in the middle of January.  I got really excited to get such quick responses from those programs, but not a word form any other school since.

Everyone that applied to Tyler for sculpture might check the portal, I just noticed my denial on there. That's two time turned away. :{ However, I'm happy to at least have a choice and some clarity as to the future. Thanks everyone, good luck! I'll still keep an eye on the forums here for the next few weeks to see how everyone turns out.

Thanks for the heads up, tomberry! I haven't checked the portal in a while, it appears I've been "unceremoniously" denied too. (Cue the dramatic strings from the world's smallest violin.) Tyler was definitely the most selective school I applied to, still glad I tried. I'm totally with you on the clarity and being happy with my options. I see you had two acceptances, congrats! Are you leaning towards any one school right now? 

Haha I'm there. I think it was for future job opportunities and personal growth but I could be wrong. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with whichever program you choose. Hopefully it gives you what you were looking for out a program!

Thanks and best of luck to you as well.  UCLA is my dream school for the MFA.  I went there as an undergrad (not in art) and would have loved to have returned there. 

Goodluck to us all!

Congrats on your interviews!  I only applied to 2 schools this round because of my life situation and got into one and assume I got rejected from the other.  Now it's the whole "let's see what funding there is" waiting game.  So maybe I'll be in a program in the fall or maybe not.  Good luck through the rest of this process!

Just heard from RISD--got an interview! Now the real nerves begin.. 

I know you guys are already talking about interview questions, I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to tackle the question

"where does your work fit within contemporary art?" 

Are they looking for your knowledge of contemporary art? Or are they looking for you to make an argument for why anyone should give a s**t about your work?  

Congrats oakchild!

How did RISD notify you of your interview?

Regarding your question, I think it's a combination (and I'm no expert clearly). I'd imagine that they are looking for candidates to display some kind of self awareness around how their work relates to – or reacts against – current ideas.

Everyone that applied to Tyler for sculpture might check the portal, I just noticed my denial on there. That's two time turned away. :{ However, I'm happy to at least have a choice and some clarity as to the future. Thanks everyone, good luck! I'll still keep an eye on the forums here for the next few weeks to see how everyone turns out.

Tyler is also sending out unceremonious paper rejection letters. I got mine on Monday and tore it up with vigor...onward and upward.

Thanks for the heads up, tomberry! I haven't checked the portal in a while, it appears I've been "unceremoniously" denied too. (Cue the dramatic strings from the world's smallest violin.) Tyler was definitely the most selective school I applied to, still glad I tried. I'm totally with you on the clarity and being happy with my options. I see you had two acceptances, congrats! Are you leaning towards any one school right now? 

No problem. Sadly I see that a lot of the kind folks here are getting some bad news with regard to Tyler. If you want to find a reason for actually not really wanting to have gone there retroactively, just consider that it (Temple) is in on of the most dangerous areas of the city, and is a top 10er for any most dangerous college in the US list. My wife was not so secretly happy that I didn't have a choice to go to a school where there's a reasonable chance to get into some of the not too good extra-curriculars. 

Yes, I have decided on PAFA. The schools are similar in terms of finances (which I hate to admit as important but it is), location, curriculum, facilities*, and such, but what really is a detractor of UArts is that it is a low residency program. "Low Res" is touted as aiming to promote professional development through independent study, what it really means is that you don't get the access to a studio and facilities that you pay for year round. I was only drawn in a little because they offered a nice scholarship, but then PAFA did too so it wasn't to hard to make that choice.

Also to PAFA's credit, their ASE is huge, it typically breaks the $250k mark in sales.

Tyler is also sending out unceremonious paper rejection letters. I got mine on Monday and tore it up with vigor...onward and upward.

Tyler Denied! It really is a funny way to find out. 

Sorry to hear foulks. :{

Come to think of it, a ceremonious rejection wouldn't be too fun either. I immediately imagined the Price Is Right wrong answer horn sound (easily found on youtube) when I saw my Decision: Applicant Denied.

I got a rejection email from RCA(painting)T.T

How did you guys check your application status in tyler's wep site?

Lee, you can check the status by logging back in to the graduate application website. Open up your application summary, scroll down past the application status to "Decision" and you should have an answer.