MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Rejections from RCA and Tyler this morning. Yaaay... Still 5 left, keeping hope for better outcomes.

D'oh!

PS Sorry for the multiple posts. I don't know how to quote across multiple pages. :{

Well, I got 'redirected' to the post bacc program at MassART, which according to the dude is pretty good. And I signed up for the interview [on the 26th]. But my question is should I shoot for it?

I guess this means I have promise

I'm pretty conflicted about the idea of a PB but that's just my opinion. You might consider taking a year or twos worth of time to get a studio space, do a residency or two, show your work as much as possible, and try to reach out and converse with other artists as much as you can. All costwise, a drop in the bucket compared to a year's tuition.

That being said, MassArt is a bang for the buck compared to most other PB programs..

Edited by Czarina

Is that your top choice school?

The reason is ask is we are both photo, and applied to a lot of the same programs.

So please keep posting when these other schools contact you. 

I'll use you as gauge for when I should have heard.  Cause I havent heard shit!  Radio silence over here

Rother...

LSU was up there for me, they have good funding, decent program and facilities, but the main reason LSU was top on my list was it's location. I think I could produce my best work with the landscape in Louisiana along the Mississippi versus a school in the Northeast.  Northeast has way more prestigious schools but I don't think I would be as visually inspired in upstate New York as I would be in Louisiana.

And I haven't heard anything from Tulane, UNM, or ASU. I did have a phone interview with the Univ of Oregon 1/17.

Hey everyone-

Congrats to everyone with good news!

Weird question.  I logged in to Columbia's application (I applied for print), to complete their financial need assessment. I applied last year as well, and accidentally logged into that application. I was (obviously) rejected last year, but now that rejection letter says I am unable to be admitted for fall of 2014. My current application is submitted/ready for review with no decision made.

Anyone else have this issue? I am wondering if I am already rejected for 2014 (expected, but not this early!)

Thanks in advance!

Rother...

LSU was up there for me, they have good funding, decent program and facilities, but the main reason LSU was top on my list was it's location. I think I could produce my best work with the landscape in Louisiana along the Mississippi versus a school in the Northeast.  Northeast has way more prestigious schools but I don't think I would be as visually inspired in upstate New York as I would be in Louisiana.

Similar reasons put Tulane at the top for me.

I'm pretty conflicted about the idea of a PB but that's just my opinion. You might consider taking a year or twos worth of time to get a studio space, do a residency or two, show your work as much as possible, and try to reach out and converse with other artists as much as you can. All costwise, a drop in the bucket compared to a year's tuition.

That being said, MassArt is a bang for the buck compared to most other PB programs..

You know, I would actually disagree with that, if the cost of a post bac is in itself not too much of a financial burden. People who did the post bac at SAIC, who were rejected everywhere the year before, got into Yale, SAIC with full scholarships, SVA and a host of other schools. It is a good way to get up to date recommendations from professors and to refine your work. People who did reasonably well in the post bac were also then accepted into the SAIC MFA program, so it could be a good stepping stone into MassArt if that's where you truly want to go (based on SAIC, not my knowledge of MassArt).

I am dubious about the capacity of visits with other artists to really help you amp up your art to a level where it is competitive enough for the programs you are applying to. Free residencies are very difficult to get into. Paid residencies are no less expensive in terms of $ per day than the post bac would be. Probably they are more.

In my (take it or leave it) opinion, it is less of an issue of whether or not you are talented enough, but whether your practice is refined, developed, and sophisticated enough for the programs to which you are applying. I think paid faculty members with an obligation to make you better will help you more than just fraternizing with other artists.

Frankly, there are better schools to go to than SCAD and MassArt (in my opinion) - better schools that have more professional cache as well - and If you are getting rejected by your fall back schools then maybe rather than just taking some time to work more, you need to take some time to subject yourself to some intense critique and then aim higher. Spending another year making another body of work independently is probably not enough. And showing your work will not make you a better artist. Better to show when you are ready.

But if the debt is crippling then don't do it. Although I disagree with Czarina about the value of post bac, her advice is on the target if you opt not to do it. That being said, it could help you get scholarships for when you do apply the second year, and the school administration surely has an encyclopedic knowledge of external scholarships you can apply for as well. There are many pros and cons. I just think it is a bit rash to judge post bacs for being a bit expensive when you have longer term goals in mind. And mass arts post bac is comparatively quite cheap.

You might also want to check out the SVA summer photo residency.

Edited by mlk

You know, I would actually disagree with that, if the cost of a post bac is in itself not too much of a financial burden. People who did the post bac at SAIC, who were rejected everywhere the year before, got into Yale, SAIC with full scholarships, SVA and a host of other schools. It is a good way to get up to date recommendations from professors and to refine your work. People who did reasonably well in the post bac were also then accepted into the SAIC MFA program, so it could be a good stepping stone into MassArt if that's where you truly want to go (based on SAIC, not my knowledge of MassArt).

I am dubious about the capacity of visits with other artists to really help you amp up your art to a level where it is competitive enough for the programs you are applying to. Free residencies are very difficult to get into. Paid residencies are no less expensive in terms of $ per day than the post bac would be. Probably they are more.

In my (take it or leave it) opinion, it is less of an issue of whether or not you are talented enough, but whether your practice is refined, developed, and sophisticated enough for the programs to which you are applying. I think paid faculty members with an obligation to make you better will help you more than just fraternizing with other artists.

Frankly, there are better schools to go to than SCAD and MassArt (in my opinion) - better schools that have more professional cache as well - and If you are getting rejected by your fall back schools then maybe rather than just taking some time to work more, you need to take some time to subject yourself to some intense critique and then aim higher. Spending another year making another body of work independently is probably not enough. And showing your work will not make you a better artist. Better to show when you are ready.

But if the debt is crippling then don't do it. Although I disagree with Czarina about the value of post bac, her advice is on the target if you opt not to do it. That being said, it could help you get scholarships for when you do apply the second year, and the school administration surely has an encyclopedic knowledge of external scholarships you can apply for as well. There are many pros and cons. I just think it is a bit rash to judge post bacs for being a bit expensive when you have longer term goals in mind. And mass arts post bac is comparatively quite cheap.

You might also want to check out the SVA summer photo residency.

While I don't disagree that post bachs can be beneficial, I think residencies can also be incredibly eye opening experiences that can be extremely influencial as far as refining your practice or ideas. I was the only one (or one of the only ones) without an MFA at all of the residencies I have attended, and to see how people are working and talking about work post MFA has helped me redefine the way that I think about an MFA, learned what to expect from earning one, and most importantly, has awarded me the opportunity to talk to many people from many programs. After a recent residency this fall where I was able to talk to other artists about their experiences of certain programs, I completely changed my list of where I planned to apply. Since my only real experience in the art word (pre residencies) was my BFA program, I found it really interesting to see how artists were functioning in the "real world" outside of academics.

You're right, though, I don't think residencies are the best place to get critical feedback on your work. However, if you really are open to change, they can teach you a lot and cause you to reflect on your own practice. For me, residencies have been more about observing and learning than actually making work.

I logged into my VCU application yesterday to look at the portfolio I submitted and saw that the images were out of the order I had sequenced them in. I thought I had gone over the portfolio dozens of times and sequenced it carefully. I don't want to believe that I botched the most important part of the application. Has anyone else applying to VCU experienced this? Is it possible that they were reordered by the reviewers?

I logged into my VCU application yesterday to look at the portfolio I submitted and saw that the images were out of the order I had sequenced them in. I thought I had gone over the portfolio dozens of times and sequenced it carefully. I don't want to believe that I botched the most important part of the application. Has anyone else applying to VCU experienced this? Is it possible that they were reordered by the reviewers?

Mine is completely out of order too. Bummer, I guess?

Hey everyone-

Anyone else have this issue? I am wondering if I am already rejected for 2014 (expected, but not this early!)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, on the previous week I've wrote to admission support concerning my transcripts (which are marked as not received on the application page). And so the application has "incomplete" status. Their answer was that it takes some time to review all the applications, so I should wait for another week or two until the status changes.

I hope it will help.

I've got a call today. From SAIC. I was accepted to Art and Technology without interview!!))) but not a word about scholarship......

HMMM... I just checked my portfolio and it is in the same exact order I submitted it in. Strange that others would be out of order. Maybe they haven't looked at mine yet. :(

My sister lives in Garden City... I'm up north about 50 miles south of the bridge. Considered applying to EMU & UM but ended up ruling them out. But, tried to keep a diverse list of schools, not all top tier, some less known. Oh, and welcome Ralpho!

Small world! My husband is wrapping up his business degree at EMU, I visited once to see a student show and marvel at the giant "penis" water tower across campus. There are some great painters in the faculty but I'm not a huge fan of Ypsilanti. I think you chose a great mix of schools. 

I have experienced this is as well, and was somewhat confused for a moment. I'm assuming / hoping that wasn't the way it was seen while in review. But who knows.

Edited by nosering

I think upenn apps will be available online at noon!

Do you think this because of the fafsa email ? In my interview they said they would be in touch over the phone or email in a week - which will be soonish. But the email and the website are always tooting march 14.

Hello,

So glad to have found this forum!

I graduated from architecture school last May, and these past few months have gone by applying to graduate schools for MFA or MA in graphic design / visual communication. I applied to a total of 9 universities, and have heard back from about half of those:

1. London College of Communication MA Graphic Design - accepted 
  2. Westminster University MA Design for Communication - accepted
  3. Goldsmiths MA Design Critical Practice - accepted
  4. Royal College of Art MA Visual Communication
  5. Glasgow School of Art MA Communication Design
  6. School of Visual Arts MFA Design
  7. Pratt Institute MFA Communications Design - interview scheduled on 24 February
  8. Yale School of Art MFA Graphic Design  (3 year) - interview scheduled on 27 February
  9. National Institute of Design (India) Post Graduate Diploma in Graphic Design

Even though I'm yet to hear back from any of the longer programmes, I'm already so stressed about my decision - I have to choose between the UK and the US and between one, two and three year programmes - all the while weighing in with financial considerations. I live in India and fees are significantly higher for international students. At this point, I feel that even if by some miracle I do get through to YSOA there is no way I can fund three years there - and do I really want to spend 3 more years in college after 5 years doing by B.Arch?

Anyways, I was hoping someone could help guide me about my Skype interview with Pratt and Yale - Yale especially because they've asked me to send across hard copies of some original work and I'm wondering how much to send, and how the interaction happens with them discussing the work over webcam.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

PS/ I am yet to hear from RCA even though their website says that they will email all applicants by February 14! Any one else out here waiting?

cheers

Edited by bhavika.aggarwal

Congrats to all of you who are getting news!!!!!!

To anyone who applied to San Francisco Art Institute...

the application online is still reading that they have no received any of my supporting materials.. it lists recs and statement and other things that I have submitted through slideroom already.  Is this an error and it just takes a bit before their application is updated with the information through slideroom? Or did you mail these things as well as submit them through sliderrom? I'm afraid the online information isn't very helpful.  Thanks a lot!

Welcome, bhavika.aggarwal!

I don't know how much assistance others on here can offer you in making your choice or preparing for webcam interviews other than to practice with friends, make sure your background isn't cluttered, and be yourself (but professional). 

As for the hard copies to send- just send your best work. Probably 5-8 pieces would be sufficient in my opinion, but I'm not in Graphic Design. Presentation is probably important as well. 

Good luck to you!

Congrats to all of you who are getting news!!!!!!

To anyone who applied to San Francisco Art Institute...

the application online is still reading that they have no received any of my supporting materials.. it lists recs and statement and other things that I have submitted through slideroom already.  Is this an error and it just takes a bit before their application is updated with the information through slideroom? Or did you mail these things as well as submit them through sliderrom? I'm afraid the online information isn't very helpful.  Thanks a lot!

Alexandria--I would contact their office and check on that. If I remember correctly, their application had you submit materials in slideroom and on the application. 

I believe they review/accept applications on a rolling basis, so if they didn't get your app materials in time, you might not be out of luck. 

I was contacted for an interview for their MFA Fine Arts Grad program a few weeks ago. 

Welcome, bhavika.aggarwal!

I don't know how much assistance others on here can offer you in making your choice or preparing for webcam interviews other than to practice with friends, make sure your background isn't cluttered, and be yourself (but professional). 

As for the hard copies to send- just send your best work. Probably 5-8 pieces would be sufficient in my opinion, but I'm not in Graphic Design. Presentation is probably important as well. 

Good luck to you!

thanks, ismewilde :) yeah, I guess the skype interview must appear intimidating to most people - as it does to me. I have no idea how they'll see my work - or ask me pointed questions about it. help/ advise welcome from anyone out here!

in other news, I just got an email from RCA - interview! yay :D