MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

It's very simple.  You go wherever you get full funding.  That overrides all other considerations.

I'm amazed at how much debt people here seem to be willing to go into for an art degree.  They'll never be able to pay all that money back. 

I think one has to be balanced in this approach as it very much depends on what you are doing. I have a friend who has been accepted to RISD for furniture and may not get any funding. We still think that she should go there as graduates are recruited their second year within the design fields. 

As for art schools, I think you need to weigh the contacts/reputation along with the costs. I wouldn't go anywhere that offered little to no funding with a second tier reputation and possibly even a first tier, depending on the school. I'd also look at what further funding options were available to apply for within the school and outside of it the following years. 

Hey Hopeful,

I'm in a similar situation! I have to decide between Parsons and SAIC (for photo). SAIC is my top choice, and Parsons is my second. I haven't received funding info from SAIC yet, but Parsons gave me a reeeeeaallly good deal. I'm pretty torn because I love NY and want to stay here, but SAIC is just such a great school. My plan is to wait it out and see what happens funding-wise.

I went to interview at/tour both schools. Both are well located in their cities and easy to get to via public transportation. Parsons has great facilities, and as part of the New School has a lot of extras to offer students: Free language classes (!), a writing center (super helpful), and a lot of talks--not just in the arts, but in a number if disciplines. SAIC's faculty are top notch, and it has bigger, nicer facilities than Parsons. SAIC has a very conceptual focus, which I didn't quite see at Parsons (again, this is for photo, which is separate from the Fine Arts dept. at Parsons). Chicago doesn't have as much art stuff going on as NY, but keep in mind that Chicago rent is WAY cheaper than NY. Without funding at either school, tuition at SAIC is a few thousand dollars more expensive than Parsons per year.  I feel like the cost of living in NY might even out the cost difference between the schools, though. NY does have a lot more to offer in terms of art talks, shows, openings, etc, but is also a very distracting city to live in since there are always a million things going on. I hope this helps a bit! It's a really tough choice.

Update: Laughable funding from SAIC. I'm super bummed :( 

Update: Laughable funding from SAIC. I'm super bummed :(

That sucks! I hate that SAIC is so "tuition driven" - one of the professors actually used that term to describe the school to me!! 

How did you hear about the Parson's aid package? My letter on apply yourself site doesnt specific anything about aid. 

As someone who has been wait-listed for 3 schools, I want to send a friendly nudge to everyone who has been accepted and might be deciding on programs. 

UT Austin- Wailtlsted-sculpture
VCU- Waitlisted-sculpture

RISD- Waitlisted-sculpture

SAIC- waiting to hear-MFA designed objects

UCLA- rejection-sculpture

Edited by Coreythegiraffe

Accepted to SAIC Masters of Fine Arts in Designed Objects.

Happy, but no word on funding yet. I got into the sculpture department last year and they gave me some financial aid, but I still would have needed to take out an ungodly amount of loans... sigh.

Just got accepted at columbia for sculpture via phone call, still waiting for funding details. anyone know if columbia would offer a full ride?

Congrats! I was accepted for painting. I talked with Gregory Amenoff, he said we'll be contacted by the financial aid peeps soon.

Talked with a first year grad in the program about funding, said that most get some type of scholarships/fellowship/work study, cutting the tuition in half... But who knows if any of this is accurate.

Accepted to SAIC Masters of Fine Arts in Designed Objects.

Happy, but no word on funding yet. I got into the sculpture department last year and they gave me some financial aid, but I still would have needed to take out an ungodly amount of loans... sigh.

Did you have an interview with SAIC?

Accepted to SMFA in Boston!!!!!!!!!!! 14,000/year merit scholarship!

SO HAPPY. DYING. 

anyone else hear from SMFA?  Anyone know what the whole 10,000 grant average per MFA student thing is!!!? is that going to be in addition to scholarships!?