SIPA, Columbia Quantitative Resume

junil89

Hello, I graduated from college about a year ago and I plan to apply to SIPA for the upcoming spring enrollment (2014). I think SIPA focuses more on quantitative background compared to other IR grad schools and it requires its prospective students to write a Quantitative Resume

I am not sure whether my quantitative background is strong enough so I would really appreciate it if you can tell me whether it looks good enough or not.

Undergraduate

- Microeconomics B

- Macroeconomics B+

- Fundamental International Economics B

- Sustainable Development (Heavily focused on economics) A-

- Internet/Web Technology (Computer Programming) A-

Highschool

- Precalculus (Honors) B+

- A.P Statistics 3/5

Professional Experience 

- Data Analysis/Presentation (Internship in Spain)

If this does not look good enough, I am going to take an extra course this summer. I think they also want students to have taken a undergraduate level calculus but I do not have that but I am hoping that this is good enough. Oh, BTW, I have 168 Quant. score on GRE; I wonder if it helps.

So if anybody know anything about SIPA quantitative resume, please comment! I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

I agree that you should take your high school classes off there.  They're interested in undergraduate quant work and any quant work you may have done in your professional career.

A 168 on the GRE will definitely boost your application, but I think you should take calculus I at least.  Many of the economics and statistics classes are based in calculus or at least heavily related to calculus.  Of course, not all SIPA students have had calculus, but it will strengthen your quant resume.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

But I have one more question!

I took an SAT subject test on Math Level II about 5 years ago.

I got 750 on it.

Would it be helpful to put it on my resume as well or do they not care about that either?

No; SAT Math Level II does not test as deep as the GRE, even. 

I agree with juilletmecredi, Calculus (and Probability) would be largely to your benefit. You will find that Calculus and Probability dominate a large portion of modern economic theory, and much of your competition will have this experience.

^Oh yes, I would agree that in addition to at least calculus I you should take statistics and probability (probably in a math department) if SIPA is emphasizing quant to the point that they want a resume about it.

And no, nobody is going to care about your SAT II scores.  That's for college admissions.  Graduate school is another ball game.

Wow. Thx everyone. I guess i should really take a calculus course. I graduated from college already and i am planning on taking online courses. Would that help? And if it does could you guys recommend me any good online course institutions?

• 3 months later...

Wow. Thx everyone. I guess i should really take a calculus course. I graduated from college already and i am planning on taking online courses. Would that help? And if it does could you guys recommend me any good online course institutions?

Hi there Junil89, I took a mixture of courses in person and online at a local community college, then I had a total SMDH moment when I got an email from SAIS advertising an continuing education econ course they offer, predominantly to help prepare students for grad school. Their fall and spring offerings are open to non-SAIS students. 

Here's the link: (http://www.sais-jhu.edu/graduate-studies/other-programs/online-principles-of-economics)

Wish I had known about it before!!

Edited by gwualum4mpp