NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

I feel about the same as you do.  I have been working as a teacher for a marine biology education non profit for almost a year now to beef up my broader impacts portion of my application so I feel that should be fine.  The one thing I am worried about is not having any publications.  I have a good amount of research experience from my undergraduate thesis and post undergrad research experiences but these didn't result in any publications.  My hope is that the emphasis on publications may not be as great since I am not in graduate school yet.  In the end, I am much the same as everyone else on here...crossing my fingers and hoping for the best :)

My friend did that in Florida, and is now in a marine ecology program! Where did you apply/ where are you going?

My friend did that in Florida, and is now in a marine ecology program! Where did you apply/ where are you going?

That's awesome for your friend! At this point, I am waiting to hear from UC Santa Cruz and U of Hawaii at Manoa. My top choice is Hawaii and my prospective advisor told me that nsf is important not only for research flexibility but also cost of living in Hawaii. This makes the wait really suck because my admission decisions are waiting until after this is announced so naturally I am a nervous wreck. Hopefully I get in to grad school :)

I haven't checked this forum so frequently since...2012 before starting grad school! Anyway, this will be my 2nd and last time applying for the GRFP. My blood pressure is through the roof and my palms have been sweating for about a week straight, so I am ready for the announcements to come out NOW.

Anyway, I applied during my first year of graduate school with tons of outreach and research experience (2 yrs as a tech at an ivy), but did not have any publications yet and I had barely a grasp on the experiments I proposed in my research statement. I learned so much writing that first proposal though. I did not get awarded, nor did I get an honorable mention, but my reviewers gave decent feedback. I think I got good/excellent from both reviewers. They seemed to think highly of my personal statement, etc, but said my intellectual merit was not thatttt competitive, which seems fair.

This year, I have a 2nd author pub from my tech years (so thankful to my former PI he is the man), and my research statement was much stronger than the first time. It truly is crazy how much you learn in grad school though, because some of those fuzzy ideas have definitely crystalized since November... As an applicant, I think I am way more qualified this year. They just need to realize how amazing I am... jkjk

Good luck everyone! I'm sending those positive vibez.

That's awesome for your friend! At this point, I am waiting to hear from UC Santa Cruz and U of Hawaii at Manoa. My top choice is Hawaii and my prospective advisor told me that nsf is important not only for research flexibility but also cost of living in Hawaii. This makes the wait really suck because my admission decisions are waiting until after this is announced so naturally I am a nervous wreck. Hopefully I get in to grad school :)

I applied to UH Manoa also, although at this point I most likely wont go there. Their admission process is extremely slow compared to everywhere else I applied and in my experience not very professional. They are awful with communication.

I applied to UH Manoa also, although at this point I most likely wont go there. Their admission process is extremely slow compared to everywhere else I applied and in my experience not very professional. They are awful with communication.

Omg I know right? Luckily I have been in contact with the PI I applied to for a couple of years now so I have gotten frequent updates from him. But otherwise its been bare bones communications from the Marine Bio department. Maybe its because it is a new program (started last year) but ya everything seems to be at the islander pace. Best of luck to you!

I'm sure you'd be happy at either! I love UCSC and that whole part of California. It's my dream job to be a faculty member (or at least lecturer) at UCSC or CSU Monterey Bay.

Don't do your PhD there then...likely to not get hired by your degree granting institution unless you leave for awhile.

I think that depends on the institution and the field of study. 

Both my undergraduate and future graduate universities have hired recent grads for postdocs, faculty, and other research positions within the university. 

My guess is the maintenance warning will come up on Monday for a Tuesday morning release. That may just be wishful thinking though...

It would be funny if the notice came out Monday and then Tuesday they sent out another message that said: April Fools! The announcement wil be Friday. Hospitals in areas with a high population of students would need to be forewarned though. :P

What if... the fastlane tech people see these forums and know that we use the service maintenance as early indicator. What if they are trying to troll us this year and not post a service maintenance notification?!

Edited by Pikapi

What if... the fastlane tech people see these forums and know that we use the service maintenance as early indicator. What if they are trying to troll us this year and not post a service maintenance notification?!

I'm one of those poor sports who would find that extremely unprofessional and, more importantly, extremely unfunny :P

HIMYM fans, I am right there with you!

I know a couple people mentioned that the 2013 awards list is no longer available. Any indication that this has meant something in past years? 

It looks like the awards list went down on the Wednesday before the announcement last year.