NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

Yeah. People. Chill. And as an to alternative to getting in a tizzy when Fastlane goes down tomorrow (I'm betting winners are announced Friday morning), may I suggest a relaxing evening of the drink of your choice (be it scotch, whiskey, wine, beer, etc.) while you're obsessively checking this forum? Worst case scenario: you get denied any form of congratulations from the GRFP, but at least you spend the night with cool internet buds while forgetting about all your past/present/future sorrows. And after all... who gets work done on Friday?  

Edited by giles

Yeah. People. Chill. And as an to alternative to getting in a tizzy when Fastlane goes down tomorrow (I'm betting winners are announced Friday morning), may I suggest a relaxing evening of the drink of your choice (be it scotch, whiskey, wine, beer, etc.) while you're obsessively checking this forum? Worst case scenario: you get denied any form of congratulations from the GRFP, but at least you spend the night with cool internet buds while forgetting about all your past/present/future sorrows. And after all... who gets work done on Friday?  

Every time you click refresh, take a drink.

Seriously though, don't.

Every time you click refresh, take a drink.

Seriously though, don't.

Not a terrible plan, but we need to pace ourselves to last until ~3 AM since that's about when the results come in.

At this point in time, many of us are waiting for a message like this to come up on Fastlane: '03/28/13  -  GRFP/FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 28th - 5:00 AM ET Friday, March 29th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience'

For the past few years, this was posted on a Monday (for Tues announcement) or Thursday (for Fri announcement). The message usually appears the day before, but the time of day can vary. In 2012, the first time that someone saw it and reported it on grad cafe was 9:09am. Last year, it was much later - at 8:59pm, just a few hours before it was supposed to go down. Last year, it did not take until 5:00 AM ET for the awards to be posted - there is a post saying 'they're up' at 3:44 AM ET. Emails are sent out shortly afterwards.

Edited by threnagyn

So if you call the fastlane availability phone number (1-800-437-7408) it gives today's date and says the site is operating normally today and if you experience technical difficulties to call technical support. Sigh. Here's to hoping it is tomorrow.

At this point in time, many of us are waiting for a message like this to come up on Fastlane: '03/28/13  -  GRFP/FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 28th - 5:00 AM ET Friday, March 29th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience'

For the past few years, this was posted on a Monday (for Tues announcement) or Thursday (for Fri announcement). The message usually appears the day before, but the time of day can vary. In 2012, the first time that someone saw it and reported it on grad cafe was 9:09am. Last year, it was much later - at 8:59pm, just a few hours before it was supposed to go down. Last year, it did not take until 5:00 AM ET for the awards to be posted - there is a post saying 'they're up' at 3:44 AM ET. Emails are sent out shortly afterwards.

Just to add to this - if you look at last year's forum, up until the announcement (which was end of March), people were asking NSF when the results would be and they kept saying 1st week of April.

What is the url to the maintenance page for nsf fastlane? Also anyone know what time the message on that page went up in past years?

Its just the main fastlane page. It usually comes up the morning before the award list is posted, but last year it went up just a couple of hours before the site went down. Keeping my fingers crossed for a similar scenario this year. 

I've heard that after the awards are announced some of the HMs get bumped up to winners because some folks accept other fellowships. Does anyone know how that works?

I've heard that after the awards are announced some of the HMs get bumped up to winners because some folks accept other fellowships. Does anyone know how that works?

Awards are given a numeric score (that you don't see). If someone in your field does not accept the award, the next highest scored proposal is awarded.

I knew of someone at my bachelor's institution who had this happen. He didn't find out until later in the summer that his HM was bumped up to an award. I don't think he received any additional communication from NSF before that happened, so I think that NSF just takes extra time to judge which HMs are most deserving.

Got a gut feeling this week's not the week. Dam..

This is exactly what people were saying last year today...it is possible that the message will come out later in the day.  Last year the message came up at around 6 pm or something so it still could be coming tomorrow

This is exactly what people were saying last year today...it is possible that the message will come out later in the day.  Last year the message came up at around 6 pm or something so it still could be coming tomorrow

yep!! 8:30pm or 9:30 EST last year

Edited by fosgfp