NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

I agree with you but I think the last point here needs to be stressed. In the social sciences and humanities TA and RA funding is getting more competitive and much harder to get. Schools that would never have accepted someone without funding are beginning to do so just because they can't get a large enough cohort to keep required courses open. For those in this position (I'm not, although I was accepted to a T25 program without funding and others in my cohort have no funding), awards like the GRFP may be the only viable option to getting a PhD.

I would say this is true for the sciences as well. In my case my PIs and myself are waiting to hear about funding from NSF before admission decisions are made. I don't think grfp is a condition for me to get in but it's certainly a factor. Seems like I am an exception but I was curious to know if Im the only science phd person in this position or if there are others.

Imagine this, on next Tuesday, 04/01, you wake up and find the following email:

"Congratulation! you have been awarded the NSF GRFP!.......just kidding, April Fool!"

: ] 

Hopefully this is negated by the fact that this Friday's going to be it! As other have mentioned, I sincerely hope it is. For the sake of my productivity and more. 

I would say this is true for the sciences as well. In my case my PIs and myself are waiting to hear about funding from NSF before admission decisions are made. I don't think grfp is a condition for me to get in but it's certainly a factor. Seems like I am an exception but I was curious to know if Im the only science phd person in this position or if there are others.

I think this is true, I'm pretty sure the last couple (public) schools are holding out to see if I can bring my own funding before an admissions decision is made. 

I am planning to use this NSF for my leverage to  force my way to a decent grad program, since I still haven't heard from a few. If I get honorable mention I'll know my efforts paid off and celebrate with drinks and have something to brag about, and I can use this for another opportunity.  If I don't get it I'll just continue on my day and say my "congrats" to people who receive this honor.  

Just got an email reply from NSF, "Award announcements will be sent in the beginning of April".   

GOD DAMINNIT NABBIT! Any chance we can pool together some money and bribe an NSF intern or something?

They say that every year but it still often comes out at the end of March. Still hoping for this Friday!

Hello everyone. I've been following this thread for the past few weeks and decided to join in. I have a concern that I hope you guys can help me out with.

I realized that I made a figure in my research proposal that extended into the one-inch margin. It was a careless error that I overlooked when I was stressed out right before submitting the application. I realized that that's grounds for a technical DQ. I haven't gotten a notification yet so I would assume that I should be safe but it would help my anxiety if other people think so as well.

If I didn't get a technical DQ for my error then I think that the review panel might not be as strict with the technical stuff as we imagine they are. In my case, it was clear that I had enough space to fit the figure in but simply made a careless mistake so it may have not constituted as an unfair advantage.

Or... maybe I did get a technical DQ and was just never notified. Sigh...

Do you mean under "applicant data"

Application Year: 2014 spacer.gifApplication Status: Received spacer.gifFinal Status: spacer.gif

So if I were DQ'ed, it would say so there?

If it doesn't say DQ'ed, I would assume you're not DQ'ed. At least for the time being. You may find  DQ when results come out, but for now don't worry. You can't do anything about it.

Do you mean under "applicant data"

Application Year: 2014 spacer.gifApplication Status: Received spacer.gifFinal Status: spacer.gif

So if I were DQ'ed, it would say so there?

Probably. But if it said DQ there you should have received an email as well. Just don't worry about it - its out of your hands and too close to the announcement to try and guess about the DQ possibility. My guess is that your the only one who noticed.

Source?

Follow the link and download the presentation. If you combine 2,000 awards with the ~17% acceptance, those figures make sense.

Edit: They also flat out say 12,000 at the end of the presentation.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsfgrfp.org%2Fassets%2FFile%2F2014%2520NSF%2520GRFP%2520Presentation.pptx&ei=GUMyU4WmHue90gHwp4CAAg&usg=AFQjCNH9SsE3kPQmMootnNibCCdcvmC2dA&sig2=wGnq5IPC9xEQcpqnDBX7xw&bvm=bv.63738703,d.dmQ

Edited by threnagyn