NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

Yeah, probably just a coincidence.  Someone said this earlier, but scheduled maintenance happens all the time.  And for GRFP it is usually something like 12AM-5AM, not 12AM-8AM.

Wait no... scheduled maintenance does not happen like this all the time. This is exactly what it said the last two years when the awards were announced, just a slightly different time and day of the week. For now, I would assume that this is the announcement, or this is some preparatory procedure to test the website to make sure the actual announcement will go smoothly.

Great, now I'm going to be up from 12-8AM on Sunday.

Wait no... scheduled maintenance does not happen like this all the time. This is exactly what it said the last two years when the awards were announced, just a slightly different time and day of the week. For now, I would assume that this is the announcement, or this is some preparatory procedure to test the website to make sure the actual announcement will go smoothly.

Great, now I'm going to be up from 12-8AM on Sunday.

No, he's right, this is a common maintenance message and the GRF message is a different time. You can look in last years thread for the specific wording that they've used for the last 2 years, but this is most certainly NOT the announcement.

No, he's right, this is a common maintenance message and the GRF message is a different time. You can look in last years thread for the specific wording that they've used for the last 2 years, but this is most certainly NOT the announcement.

ic ic. DO you happen to have an quote from that specific wording that they've used before? I was around last year, but don't remember exactly what is was.

Also - has anyone here ever gotten an honorable mention for multiple years, or gotten an honorable mention one year and then got nothing the following year?

Edited by threnagyn

If memory serves me correctly, the "scheduled maintenance" message appears on the actual Fastlane login page. So, I wouldn't sweat that this may be an announcement. However, it may be an indication that they're prepping for the announcements later that week (Tuesday or Friday according to previous years). I'm putting my bet on Friday morning, 03/28.

If memory serves me correctly, the "scheduled maintenance" message appears on the actual Fastlane login page. So, I wouldn't sweat that this may be an announcement. However, it may be an indication that they're prepping for the announcements later that week (Tuesday or Friday according to previous years). I'm putting my bet on Friday morning, 03/28.

This is my guy feeling too.

RE teaching: We're hiring someone right now and I'm one of the grad student representatives on the committee. The people who got interviews got them because they had experience teaching a certain type of class. We also looked at publication record, funding record, and research fit with the department but these three were definitely interviewed for their teaching experience.

RE maintenance: fastlane goes down about once a month for maintenance. This doesn't look like the same notice that's been out before.

ic ic. DO you happen to have an quote from that specific wording that they've used before? I was around last year, but don't remember exactly what is was.

Last year's message: "03/28/13  -  GRFP/FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 28th - 5:00 AM ET Friday, March 29th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience"

Edited by stmwap

Last year's message: "03/28/13  -  GRFP/FastLane will be unavailable from 11:00 PM ET Thursday March 28th - 5:00 AM ET Friday, March 29th for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience"

This is the exact same wording as the message for Sunday "FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Sunday, March 23 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."... dun dun dun

This is the exact same wording as the message for Sunday "FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Sunday, March 23 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."... dun dun dun

No, it isn't.  The one I posted has the word GRFP and has different times listed.  

Just assume it's 4/15 and you're not getting it.

Lol.

I moved this past Saturday and COMPLETELY forgot about the GRFP, until just now, that is. I still don't know how it's possible that I forgot, but I did. Amazing, I know! 

And now I can't stop thinking about it. I know it's very unlikely but I want the announcements to come this weekend. Hurry up NSF, end my misery! 

Not only is it not the exact same, the message on there now has appeared at least twice already since the new year. Fastlane goes down for maintenance a lot. It's a system that's used for a lot of things and requires pretty regular upkeep.

So I accepted the Hertz fellowship a little while back. This fellowship only includes a stipend and no tuition (though my offers from schools will cover tuition). Is it possible to accept NSF just for the tuition part along with Hertz (I want to save my adviser some money :P)?

Admittedly, I haven't looked much into the fellowship stuff. 

So I accepted the Hertz fellowship a little while back. This fellowship only includes a stipend and no tuition (though my offers from schools will cover tuition). Is it possible to accept NSF just for the tuition part along with Hertz (I want to save my adviser some money :P)?

Admittedly, I haven't looked much into the fellowship stuff. 

Are you kidding me right now? 

"I haven't looked much into the fellowship stuff." Seriously?!! 

What you are suggesting, in my opinion, should not be allowed. You would take a fellowship spot from someone that actually needs it? Some applicants were not as lucky to receive funding to cover their living costs. But, because you want to cover your tuition cost - which IS ALREADY BEING COVERED, you would take a fellowship spot that you don't need... 

Edit: I meant to imply that this person 'Clandry' is trying to use two fellowships concurrently and that shouldn't be/ins't allowed. Not to imply that if he/she were to win both that they don't deserve both. I am aware that these fellowships are merit based and not need based. 

Edited by Tachycineta

Fellowships are not awarded according to "need," they are awarded according to merit.  A lot of NSF fellows don't "need" their fellowship because they have full funding from their doctoral programs.  That's the way funding works from here on out, too - grants, travel money, etc.  In fact, a few people get both awards, use one award for 3 years and use the other for 3 years to cover their entire programs.  Also, I wouldn't assume that just because someone got Hertz they'll get NSF - I got the NSF but not a less competitive fellowship I also applied for.

Also, Hertz fellowships DO cover tuition.  The Hertz gives schools a cost of education allowance.  In return, the school has to agree to accept the CoE allowance in lieu of all fees and tuition, so that Hertz fellows are not required to pay any additional fees.  NSF does the same thing.  Check it out here: http://www.hertzfoundation.org/dx/fellowships/fellowshipaward.aspx

Even still, no, you cannot accept the NSF just for tuition and the Hertz just for the stipend.  With NSF, at least, you have to take all or nothing.

Fellowships are not awarded according to "need," they are awarded according to merit.  A lot of NSF fellows don't "need" their fellowship because they have full funding from their doctoral programs.  That's the way funding works from here on out, too - grants, travel money, etc.  In fact, a few people get both awards, use one award for 3 years and use the other for 3 years to cover their entire programs.  Also, I wouldn't assume that just because someone got Hertz they'll get NSF - I got the NSF but not a less competitive fellowship I also applied for.

Also, Hertz fellowships DO cover tuition.  The Hertz gives schools a cost of education allowance.  In return, the school has to agree to accept the CoE allowance in lieu of all fees and tuition, so that Hertz fellows are not required to pay any additional fees.  NSF does the same thing.  Check it out here: http://www.hertzfoundation.org/dx/fellowships/fellowshipaward.aspx

Even still, no, you cannot accept the NSF just for tuition and the Hertz just for the stipend.  With NSF, at least, you have to take all or nothing.

It seems to me from the very brief search I did, that both the GRFP and the Hertz fellowship offer the same award in terms of stipend and CoE. Am I mistaken? In which case, I don't understand why you would want to take one award for the stipend and the other for tuition.